PDA

View Full Version : Fear of going on a plane

missemily
25-03-11, 06:50
I don't know what to do at the moment, hence I'm writing on here (an hour before my alarm was due to go off but I just can't sleep).

I am going on a 4 hour flight with a "no frills" service in 3 weeks and am already feeling anxious and panicky. I flew 3 years ago with my brother, so I knew I was in safe hands, couldn't pull out & let him down and also to an extent I think I "hid" some of my anxiety from him (also it helped that I thought the flight was going to take an hour- it actually only took 40 mins!)

So basically, I am already having a racing heart, shallow breathing and imagining the fear I'll feel whilst on the plane (and beforehand). The Doctor has prescribed me some Diazepam (sp) but I am not sure I will take it- am hoping just the comfort of having it with me will help. I am going to try and book some hypnotherapist sessions in the next few days (expensive from what I've seen but I don't care if it helps me get rid of/deal with these feelings).

I'm not sure if the actual thought of flying "no frills" is makine me worse as people are always commenting on things- like having to pay extra for seatbelts, landing miles from actual destination etc. :S

I also have a heart condition and although I'm monitored regularly my blood pressure and everything is fine, but I'm worried what would happen if I became ill/needed medical help whilst on board?!

Anyone got any tips/advice because at the moment I feel like I'm going mad and not sure I can take 3+ weeks of feeling like this :(

Thanks in advance

macc noodle
25-03-11, 07:47
Hi MissEmily

Please try not to worry - where are you off to - somewhere nice and warm?

First of all babe, you must not worry at all about your heart condition - just make sure you have any meds you require for the flight in your hand luggage. Presumably your condition does not preclude you from flying anyway? Also, if you were to fall ill, they have equipment on board and first aid training to assist.

Secondly, if your short flight last time was shorter than the actual estimated flying time, chances are your longer flight will be shorter also. Last time I flew to Canaries, they managed to shave 23 minutes of total flying time and when I went to Cyprus it was nearly 30 minutes (yes, you see I have the same fears as you and set my watch at the start of the flight and break the flight down in half hour blocks - each one gone is a bit nearer to my destination!!)

Thirdly, try and concentrate on the actual holiday you are going on rather than how you are getting there - make lists of what you need to take, sort out some good magazines to read etc etc - focus on the exciting bits of the trip and try not to focus on the bit that makes you anxious.

Hope that helps :)

missemily
30-03-11, 21:29
Thanks for your reply :)

I'm feeling quite calm at the moment; I have got some entertainment- psp, books, DS, etc lined up & I have booked a hypnotherapy session next week, which I hope will teach me strategies on how to stay calm whilst on the plane- at the moment I am actually concentrating on the holiday itself and looking forward to it! :) I just hope I continue to be this calm.......