PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share with you all

lilly-lou
27-03-11, 08:19
I just wanted to share with you how things have been going for me. I've suffered from panic atacks, anxiety and depression since I was a teenager which developed into agoraphobia where I was housebound for over 18 months. I've tried every form of therapy from relaxation to cbt, hypnotherapy and accupuncture all of which help for a short while.

Last year in July things got really bad for me and I decided I needed to visit the G.P. after not going for over 7yrs to see one and talk about the meds route. I was given citalopram which I was so scared to take. It took me about a month to get up to the 20mg dose that I needed to be on and a gazillion anxiety attacks due to my fear of them but finally I began to get some relief from the dreaded fear of going out.

I've been on the meds for 8 months now and the change in me is great. I can drive again without panic, go shopping (although sometimes I still need somebody with me when I'm jittery) manage days out, the school runs and my confidence although not great is better than it was.

I was as low as you can get, couldn't even shower, sit in the garden, hang my washing out at one point without having a massive anxiety attack but now I feel like I have some control over it.

The G.P. and I have decided that I really need the meds long term and I've got no problems now in staying on them, I jsut treat it like any other illness that needs meds to stabilise it, I no longer look at being on anti-depressants as a bad thing, I tried by myself to combat it and just kept hitting a brick wall.

I'm not 100% yet but I'm ok with that as long as things carry on the way they are. I still have bad days, ok days and good days but the bad days are manageable.

I hope this gives some hope for others who are suffering or those who are scared of taking the meds that things can get easier.

paula lynne
27-03-11, 19:18
Thats a success story Lilly, you are getting through it, a massive well done! xxxxxxx:yahoo:

ditzygirl
27-03-11, 19:32
brilliant and well done and thank you for sharingxx