PDA

View Full Version : Been told I have a personality disorder

uk23
28-03-11, 01:09
Thought it might be something like that but spoke with the psychiatrist about it and they confirmed and said they had suspected since I first saw them.

Not sure really what to make of it, sort of explains a lot but makes me feel sort of 'hollow'.

KK77
28-03-11, 01:48
I was told the same many moons ago but then another doc disagreed and went with another label.

Don't let it get you down though - it doesn't suddenly change who you are or your prospects of recovery. And don't let it define who you are either - we're much, much more than an abstract set of terms and psychobabble.

Lizziesaurus
28-03-11, 07:57
Like melancholia said, it's a label.
I'm yet to be diagnosed with anything officially but my docs made me realise a name to it all isn't what you need to strive for, but the right treatment and help instead.
It has made me think, and help is what I want, not a name to the problem. My managers at work want a name for it more than I do!

daisycake
28-03-11, 10:12
I was told that too but I completely disagree, and I think my GP does too. Don't think too much of it, you're still the same person :)

harasgenster
28-03-11, 10:15
Lots of people don't agree with the term "personality disorder". How can you have a disordered personality?! There's quite a few doctors that take this stance on it.

Yeah, seriously don't worry about a label. LIzziesaurus is right about the treatment being more important than the name you're given. You don't have to define yourself by some label. I was worried when I was told I was bipolar, particularly as I disagreed! But after a while I realised the pills were working and thought - probably doesn't matter then!

Let them label you if they have to, but don't label yourself. You're still you, nothing has changed.

suzy-sue
28-03-11, 14:12
Let them label you if they have to, but don't label yourself. You're still you, nothing has changed.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree here and I dont go in for labels .It helps them to label you to get your treatment sorted .Thats all .. Everyone is unique .:D Sue x