PDA

View Full Version : I cant sleep!

Sammylou
28-03-11, 11:23
I cannot remember the last time I had a good nights sleep. I go to bed and wake after a couple of hours and then im tossing and turning all night. I am physically exhausted I feel dizzy and weak and have increased anxiety at the minute. I take sertraline 50mg, and have just bought myself some lavender oil to see if that helps, does anyone have any tips for a better nights sleep.

oldtime
28-03-11, 11:29
Try this:
Don't worry about how much sleep you are getting, it doesn't matter. What's more important is getting a few hours of deeper sleep.
To achieve this try going to bed at 11pm and getting up at 4am for a week. By the end of the week you will be knackered when you go to bed and fall asleep almost immediately and you will sleep through to 4am.
Once you are regularly sleeping 5 hours a night you can set your alarm clock a bit later. eg. 4.30 am for a week then 5am etc.
When you get up at 4am you need to get outside as the sun rises and get at least 30mins on early morning sunshine to reset your body clock.

Lizzyg
28-03-11, 12:49
Hi Sammylou
Know just how you feel!!
I have been on Sertraline for 6 weeks and cannot remember the last time I slept all night! I was given some sleeping pills for a short term by the doctor because I was so exhausted and feeling physically ill.
I can say though it is slowly getting better. For the last 3 nights I have slept for 4 hours continuously and then keep waking from about 4 till 7 but can go back to sleep. I have really vivid dreams as well.
I am hoping it will get better!! How far along are you with your sertraline??

Sammylou
28-03-11, 13:46
Hi Lizzy, ive been taking sertraline since september last year. I suffered bad side effects but by week 7 felt loads better. I still have anxiety but its usually when its the time of the month and when ive not slept. How are you finding the sertraline x

Tyke
28-03-11, 18:42
Hi Sammylou

I have a similar problem regarding sleep. Used to nod off at the drop of a hat, but since being on Sertraline (50mg) for over 3 weeks it's been a very different story. I am getting a bit more sleep than I was at first now, but it is still broken sleep and not nearly as much as I used to get. Not getting any positive effect from the drug yet either:weep:.

I use relaxation CDs before going to bed, which I find helps getting off to sleep initially. I often fall asleep while they are running, trouble is I do wake up again shortly afterwards (an hour or two later), though I do manage to get to sleep again for a bit usually. You could try this and see if it lessens your anxiety generally and allows you to stay asleep for longer. I hope the insomnia will wear off for all of us a bit more over time as the side effects usually do lessen as the body gets used to the drug. It would be nice to get a full nights sleep again at some stage!

Tyke