PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure

mabel
28-03-11, 22:45
Not quite sure where to post this!

I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure. Had a routine check due to the antidepressants I am on. Only had it checked 3 times over 3 weeks. It was very high the first time but I know I was very stressed at the time and after the first reading I was so worried that Im not surprised the other readings were high (although they had come down)!

My doc was very keen to prescribe me tablets to reduce it. But I'm feeling so much better this week! So bought a blood pressure monitor. Researched it carefully so made sure its a good one and clinically approved. Its still a bit high but so much better than it was. Its almost normal now!

So do I take the tablets or not? :doh:

Mabel :shrug:

snowgoose
28-03-11, 23:00
get another gp appointment and take your readings in over a few days .and at different times .
my blood pressure and pulse vary hugely ......and always at the doctor too .
hate it . lots like us though :hugs:

mabel
28-03-11, 23:11
Thanks

Was hoping you'd say that!

My blood pressure is probably slightly over but I want to try and get it down naturally. What I was getting at the docs was really high. But that's not me normally!!! Once I had a high reading that was it! Crazy! Got my self so wound up about having it taken so Im not surprised it was high!

I feel so much better this week and my blood pressure has come right down now!

Mabel

Mazzmate
29-03-11, 12:46
Take your own BP for a while and see how consistent the readings are, my own gp knew how anxious I got when they just took the cuff to my arm that she suggested she would take my readings and not hers, so, I take it once a week....discarding the first of each readings because I even panic when I put the cuff on myself...lol. Amazing the difference in readings, and also reduces the anxiety about high bp, which of course raises your bp. Vicious circle really. Something amazing happened since...I had to go and see the nurse at my new practice and she insisted on taking my bp...I told her it would be high because of the anxiety but when she did it she said it was fine....high normal at 140/ 72, well, that was a real hurdle I jumped there because I don't think I shall worry so much next time I see doc or nurse....hopefully, that is.

xtremx
29-03-11, 13:14
Hi, I was having trouble with my BP being a little on the high side around 149/95 but have managed somehow to bring it down by stopping all added salt intake have none it the house now and also drinking around 2-3 litres of water aday takes awhile but now my BP averages around the 117/75.

mabel
29-03-11, 22:33
Thanks everyone

There is a blood pressure thingy in the waiting room so I might use that and my own readings to show the doc.

I really don't want to takes meds if I don't need too. I was really stressed and had a lot going on! So told my doc I wasn't surprised it was high! Had been waiting for a load of test results for 3 weeks which stressed me out! They all came back normal. Feel so much better now and my blood pressure has come down as a result!

I asked my doctor if I could make lifestyle changes to bring it down and he dismissed it saying it wouldn't make much difference!!!!

I don't like to go against what my doctor has said, but this time I think he should have monitored over time.

I think I will go and see the nurse and have it measured with her too.
:doh:

Mabel xxx

oliverb
29-03-11, 22:52
This is just anecdotal so take it at face value, but my mother was diagnosed with very high blood pressure and her GP was reluctant to prescribe medication because of her age. Instead he suggested that she drink a quarter of a litre of beetroot juice every day (a litre is 2.49 from supermarkets). She did and after only a couple of weeks, her bp has lowered dramatically - it was in the 160s and now it's between 140-145.

Worth a go?

mabel
30-03-11, 21:55
Thanks!

I'm willing to give anything a go quite frankly! Not that keen on beetroot but will give it a go!

Its come down so much I just think the doctor was a bit hasty giving me tablets after only 3 readings. If I really need them I will take them, but my blood pressure has come down so much!

Mabel xxx