PDA

View Full Version : mind working overtime

katiep
29-03-11, 15:22
Me again im afraid, i have been worrying about ovarian cancer over last 2 weeks, had very little symptoms till i googled it, but now i seem to be working through the lists of symptoms.
the symptom im scared of more than most was it mentioned lower back pain, which i did have following a car accident, but there was also a mention of leg pain, i have had pain over my buttocks the last week uncomfortable to sit but ok walking, as well as that i now have burning pain on my right shin and im petrified, cant get ovarian cancer out my mind and scared to go to gp..

x

AllInMyHead
29-03-11, 16:55
Hi Katie, google is bad! I have done the exact same thing as this in the past. Here are a couple of things that helped me.

1. Go through each of your symptoms in turn and make a list of everything you can think of that could cause them (without using google!!!). So for back pain, there's your car accident, sitting funny, pulling it while bending over, etc. etc. That might help you put it in perspective. What google never tells you is whole list of completely innocuous things that could cause it.

2. Try considering how unlikely it all is. It's very unlikely that you have ovarian cancer, and it's even more unlikely that you would develop unlikely symptoms only after you googled.

3. Remember that anxiety can cause all the symptoms you are worrying about. Particularly with muscular stuff, you can bring it on yourself by worrying about it, checking it constantly and tweaking it etc.

4. If you are still worried, consider going to the GP, it might just put your mind at rest.

In my case, my GP thought I might have MS. Within moments of looking it up on google, I had all the symptoms. The symptoms brought on by my anxiety lasted about 4-6 weeks. Thankfully it was just a scare and when the results of my MRI came through to say I was fine I didn't care about the symptoms any more, and they all went away on their own.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine.