PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of Alzheimers

mummymurray
29-03-11, 23:01
Hi All

I've never posted before but just desperate for a bit of reassurance.

Please don't laugh at me but my current fear is that I have Alzheimers. I've just turned 31 and have two young children. This obsession is just all consuming. I'm finding it all the more frightening as it's not a physical illness I could be tested for. I have suffered from HA for a while. Before Christmas I convinced myself I had stomach cancer.

I find the thought of Alzheimers truly terrifying. Dosen't help that I googled (bad idea) and there was some Australian mother of 31 who has it. Scared me to death. Everyday I think I'm going to die of it :(

Basically the thought of Alzheimers popped into my head about 6 weeks ago when I became aware I keep jumbling up my words. The problem is the more I think about it and get stressed the worse it gets. My friends and husband insist there is nothing wrong but having done all the dementia "tests" online and am finding I have to constantly "check" myself ie: think of as many vegetables in one minute etc to feel any kind of reassurance. I don't think my memory is too bad. Also I worry I'm repeating things and do not realise. (Once again my husband says I don't do this)

Please someone tell me they jumble up words etc

Constantly feel I'm going to leave my boys without a Mum. Just wish I could get rid of this fear..

Thank you xx

sarah1984
30-03-11, 11:44
Mummymurray I certainly wouldn't laugh at you because I personally couldn't imagine a more frightening illness than Alzheimer's. However, the chances of having Alzheimer's under the age of 60 are very very slim indeed - approximately 1 in 1000 or even less. Amongst the people who have the early-onset form of the disease, the vast majority are in the 45-60 age group and there is a definite genetic link, so the illness runs in their family. Also, the majority of people with dementia suffer brain deterioration to the extent that they are unaware they have a terminal illness and they cannot understand the implications of this cruel disease.

Please don't google because you will always come up with horror stories that are the exception and not the rule. As I'm sure you have realised, seeking reassurance by 'checking' your brain power only provides a temporary comfort and the more you do it, the less effective it becomes. There are some really useful posts here under the 'Health Anxiety' forum that could help you overcome your anxiety. It might also be worth looking for books on Health Anxiety/Anxiety Disorders & CBT in your local library. You could also use the 'Search' facility at the top of the page to search the NMP forum for any other posts about people worrying about developing dementia.

I'm sure it must be really stressful being a Mum to young boys and I'm sure with so much on your mind, it's inevitable that you will experience forgetfulness from time to time. Forgetfulness is also a classic symptom of anxiety/depression and can be caused by low serotonin levels in the brain. Are you on medication for anxiety? Might be worth seeing your GP if symptoms persist and asking to be referred for a course of CBT which will help you address your anxiety symptoms and prevent anxiety from spiralling out of control. Good luck x

mummymurray
30-03-11, 12:11
Thank you so much for replying. xx

HelenLouise
30-03-11, 21:14
Hi!

My dad has Alzheimer's. He is 61 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago - when I was 17.

The doctor told us that it was very uncommon for someone below 65 - 70 to get Alzheimer's disease and that people who do get it early could have a genetic component. (My nan also had the disease)

The reason you see things on the internet about people who are 31 and get Alzheimer's is because it is so unusual for someone so young to get it.

I jumble up words all the time and I am only 20. Dad is nearing the late stages of the disease now but when he began jumbling up words he had other, more obvious symptoms.

There is apparently going to be screening available for Alzheimer's within the next couple of years. It is said to notice any early signs of the disease before they become noticeable. This means medication can be started early and the cognitive impairment kept at bay for longer :)!

Anyway, trust me, you do not have Alzheimer's :)!

It is a hideous disease but you have plenty of time to enjoy your life before you even have to consider worrying about Alzheimer's!

I know how you feel as Alzheimer's does scare me as it is possibly in my genes!

Hope you're okay and I've helped a little!

Take care xx