PDA

View Full Version : Diet affects anxiety

Dave
09-04-06, 19:46
I never used to think that diet could affect your state of mind so much but lately I'm finding that what I eat and drink is really affecting my anxiety in a big way. For example, whenever I eat chocolate, flavoured crisps or certain dairy products I nearly always have a panic attack afterwards. It's the same when I drink alcohol, caffeine drinks or squash with additives. It seems to start by affecting my stomach with a bloated feeling then it affects my breathing. Went out for a meal today and had a pint of beer. Was okay at first but it seems that the after-effects are taking hold and starting to feel a bit anxious now, managing to control it though.
Does anyone else find that certain foods/drinks affect their anxiety levels?

Alexandra
09-04-06, 22:32
Hi Dave

Yes i did so im now on weight watchers online & drink more water, fruit & veg etc

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

nomorepanic
09-04-06, 22:48
My panic went when I started a diet and exercise programme so yes it helps.

Nicola

Phill2
10-04-06, 06:07
You may be suffering from hypoglycaemia.
Try this link.
http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/hypo/
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

feege
10-04-06, 07:02
Yes I definitely know there is a relationship.

I am very suspicious that I can no longer tolerate even very small amounts of alcohol, also heavy meals, salt, chocolate....

I just can't work out which things do what!

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

Ammeg
10-04-06, 09:03
well just to be different- it makes no difference to me wot i eat or drink!! but every1 is different and maybe that is a trigger for some people!! but you need to be careful that you still eat wot u need as i think its very easy to develop an eatin disorder!!!
Ammegxx

Jenny
10-04-06, 09:52
I have found this topic very interesting. My taste buds have changed completely since I started with anxiety attacks. I was very much a 'savoury' person, not interested in cakes at all. NOW over the last year or two I have become the opposite. I don't drink alcohol, but diet lemonade or diet Pepsi I could drink gallons (not that I do) I am drinking lots of water instead. My hands and fingers are also cold at times, and if I don't write things down they go out of my head. (Age thing, Menopausal) Perhaps it is time to sort this out !!!

Jenny xx

Jason37
10-04-06, 11:48
Hi Dave,
I absolutely find your observation to be true. It's certainly fact for me that what I eat and drink has a definite and significant impact on how I feel. That's why I've now cut out most of my caffeine (I drink decaf or tea instead, and have got used to that). I no longer eat any chocolate, crisps or sweets of any kind, haven't done for 6 months. That was weird to start with, I think that like an alcoholic you have to go 'cold turkey' and don't look back! But the killer food group for me was bread, and all things carb-like, from croissants and bagels to pizza and pasta. I won't lie and say I don't still sometimes crave a major carb hit - I do. Especially now my exercise has picked up and I need that bit more energy daily. Carbs make me feel satisfyingly full in the short-term, but then definitely tired and sluggish after that.
As for additives, I've tried to steer clear of them for years, because of the reputation they have. Because of the change in diet I tried diet soft drinks (like diet Coke) but to be honest they are not that great an experience, and I'd rather have water or a decaf coffee to be honest, if one is available.
Aa Ammeg said, everyone is different, and for me, alcohol doesn't tend to make me more anxious, if anything it chills me out somewhat, calms me down even. Always has. A hangover is a very different matter though! That brings out the worst in me and my feelings. That's why I try to get drunk as rarely as I can, or just stop before my intake gets heavy (say 3-4 glasses of red wine or equivalent).
I would recommend the GI Diet book, not as a bible or anything, but as a source of good, common-sense, easy-to-absorb information on eating more healthily. I'm trying it now and it's working well for me. From what little you say, I would have thought 'phase 1' of the GI Diet would suit your situation very well. It's got to be worth a read, just to see.
I would happily lend you my copy and send it you in the post to read, if that would be helpful.
Good luck finding out more and finding what works for you to make you feel better!
Jason