PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Timespan??

Spongeballz
30-03-11, 22:43
I imagine this has been done before, and appreciate that timespans differ for everyone, but I was wondering whether there was an average timespan that people stay on Citalopram for?? Have just started 3 days ago, and am finding the information here really helpful :) I just want to gain as much of an understanding as I can about the drug, what it's doing to me and ultimately, how long it's going to be a part of my life, and this is to me is a vital part of my necessary understanding.

If you have come off, please state how long you were on, and if anyone knows an average timespan, that'd be great :)
Thanks as always guys!! <3

suzy-sue
31-03-11, 12:19
Hi SB If its your first time its advisable to be symptom free and stable on a dose for approx 5 months .So 9months -1year from start to finish .Then its advisable to taper off slowly .Second timers 2years or more .You will know when you are ready to come off .and the more you help yourself during the time you are on it the less chance of a relapse .The pills just help you get there and wont cure you on there own .Ive been on it over two years now but currently tapering .All good so far :yesyes:..Been a slow process of cutting down but the slower the better IMO ...Gd luck with your Cit experience /recovery :hugs:..luv Sue x

vickyh
31-03-11, 13:23
I too have also been wondering this. I have been taking them for a couple of days now also. Have you had any side effects? I have found it best taking them in the evening as they made me feel a bit sick and sort of dizzy but it has only been a couple of days so i guess things may change. vicky

NoPoet
31-03-11, 18:03
I'd recommend people concentrate on getting better rather than wondering how long they'll be on the citalopram. One of the most important stages of recovery is accepting what is happening and accepting that you didn't get like this overnight, so you won't overcome it overnight either. You might be on it 6 months, you might be on it 4 years, what's important is that you get the support you need and learn coping strategies until you start feeling better.

Recovery has no timescale. It's part of your life, so see it as a journey.

Spongeballz
31-03-11, 21:04
Thanks very much for the replies guys, helped greatly. The message I'm picking up is the timescale is irrelevant, I should just focus on getting better and let the rest fall into place :)

suzy-sue
31-03-11, 21:19
Yes thats right SB .We are all different and how we came to the point of needing them is too .But a lot are too impatient and worry about being on them .This sometimes results in them coming off when they havnt been stable for long enough ,Also no coping strategys in place either .It takes time and depending on how you feel ,and how much self help or Therapy you do .determines how long you remain on them before you come off .Some however dont ,they remain on them for years for various reasons ..The timescales I gave you are what Drs usually give when you ask ..Sue x

Spongeballz
31-03-11, 21:25
Sue you're a star, thanks so much :) :hugs:I knew the timespans varied, was looking for the "standard" one the doc gave too as well as some user ones, your reply was excellent! x

heavenly
31-03-11, 22:10
Yes, I agree, don't put a timescale on yourself, we are under enough pressure at the mo just getting by day by day, we don't need to put ourselves under any more. Just see it as a necessary tool to help you see and think a little more clearly and to get the help you need to get through to the other side, for however long that takes.

Spongeballz
01-04-11, 00:08
Very true, thanks Heavenly :) Can already feel NMP changing my life for the better, you guys are fantastic :D x