PDA

View Full Version : Long term boredom & tiredness

leafar
31-03-11, 12:41
There's a problem that I've been having since about 2007.

I've always been pretty energetic, and if I have something to get on with and I'm at least slightly interested in it, I can be very enthusiastic and I generally have a lot of energy. But over quite a long time I've found myself out of work for months at a time. In 2007 I decided to work part time in a theatre. I was an usher / barman, which basically meant that when I wasn't standing around while there was a show on, I was standing around at the bar waiting for a break in the show which was the only time there were any customers. Basically it was a very unstimulating job. Although, I have to say, I did often enjoy the shows so it was pretty good in that way, but there was next to nothing to actually do most of the time. Before going in to work, I used to lie down and get myself mentally prepared for it (ie avoid any anxiety), and I used to play music while I did so. I found myself nodding off sometimes, which surprised me, I really didn't expect to actually drift off, although I didn't dwell on it that much at the time. I just put it down to it being one of those weird things that happen from time to time. But it kept happening.

Since then, over the last 3-4 years, I've found myself needing to get away from my computer for a few hours every day (I do spend a lot of time online, as I'm sure many people do when they've got not a lot else going on). But what I end up doing is napping. Sometimes I fall asleep briefly, other times I just close my eyes but I'm still awake, and other times I don't feel too tired. In other words, it can vary quite a bit. And some days I feel the need to be lying down for longer than other days.

Sometimes (once or twice a year) a friend of mine comes over for a couple of days. We watch movies, drink, and maybe cook some food, etc. When that happens, my energy levels are pretty much back to normal, although I do take a 1 hour nap. However, I never nod off and I'm actually quite energetic and I don't feel that much of a need to nap at all but I do it anyway in case it affects me if I don't. I guess I'm used to doing it.

I'm a musician, and once in a while I go through a phase where I feel the need to record music every day for hours, for a few days or weeks. During this time I don't nap at all.

I don't have any issues (psychological or physical) which could have anything to do with this.

My theory is :

Long term lack of stimulation causes such a high level of boredom that I feel like switching off. However I have to say that it is good to get away from the computer, but, since there's not much else to do, I tend to switch off anyway. And this, over time, has affected me physically in the sense that my whole system (mind and body) have become ready to switch off whenever there's nothing much to do. I like keeping busy and I like to like what I'm doing. So my theory is that long term lack of stimulation causes long term sensitivity to lack of stimulation / a need to switch off and nap.

Is my theory correct? I'm very sure that it is but let's have some feedback please. I don't like it because it affects my daily routine (I end up doing things around my naps), it doesn't help with the anxiety, and also, let's face it, it's silly. I'm pretty sure this is reversible because whenever I have something to do I instantly feel differently. But for now, what can I do?

http://1.2.3.13/bmi/nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

mm00
02-04-11, 22:56
I think you have done a great job at figuring this out yourself, so well done! I am a musician myself, and I know that if I am not doing something my mind gets way too creative for me and I wish I could switch it off haha. I think you need to just stay busy, exercise (I put off starting a routine for 5 years, and now that I have I can't NOT exercise) It really does help with anxiety, and take it from someone who HATESSSSS exercise and the gym( so boring). I dunno if this helps much, you really do seem to have it figured out already :) You, like me, need to stop thinking so much :). Good luck!

leafar
04-04-11, 21:35
So you think that lack of stimulation and exercise makes it worse? I really think so myself. In the last couple of days I've not been quite as tired as usual, and maybe that's due to the good weather or maybe it's because I have been a bit busy, or both.

Then again, until the last couple of years or so there were times when I wasn't particularly busy and yet I didn't find myself getting tired and wanting to switch off. And that's why I believe it's down to being un-busy on a long term basis. I think there comes a point when your mind thinks "what's the point of being conscious the whole time if there's not much going on these days? Let's just switch off for a while and hopefully it will be different later".