PDA

View Full Version : LOW BLOOD SUGAR DIET TO COMBAT ANXIETY

mirry
10-04-06, 09:24
AFTER READING A POST BY "JULLIP" TODAY WE FEEL IT WOULD BE NICE TO FOLLOW THE GI DIET TO HOPEFULLY SOLVE OUR PANIC ATTACKS.WE NEED A GOOD NUMBER OF PEOPLE TO TAKE PART BECAUSE WE NEED TO SEE IF IT REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

This post is a place to share meal ideas/progress/problems ect.

Jullip, I dont know how to get your link on here , can you please provide it again. thanks.

mirryx

Ammeg
10-04-06, 09:27
hey mirry-
im afraid i did it before and it made me really ill!! so i wont be doin it with u- but lt me know how it goes!!!
Ammegx

mirry
10-04-06, 09:44
Ive dont it before but it never made me ill .
How did it make you Ill ? Its a very healthy way of eating ,
it includes oats/meats/potatoes/veg/ certain fruit/seeds/nuts/wholemeal bread and pasta.

I find it can become boring to follow so hopefully doing it with others can give me more recipe ideas.

mirryx

giddy
10-04-06, 09:44
Hi - I'm ready to start!!
Here are some tips from a low GI cookbook I have:
Starches
Bread - eat granary, wholegrain, rye, soya
Cereal - oat based, no sugar added - any tips on how to make edible porridge would be appreciated, whenever I try to make it its awful!!
Grains - buckwheat, barley, bulgur wheat, millet, quinoa, couscous, basmati or brown rice
potatoes - small new boiled, avoid chips, jacket and mashed
Pasta - most are low GI but only eat a small amount
Fruit and Veg
Eat in whole form rather than as juice.
The more acidic the fruit the lower its GI
Use fruit sugar rather than cane sugar
Veg should be main focus of meals - eat tons of salad
Eat parsnips, swedes, turnip, beetroot, pumpkin in moderation
Protein
15-20% of your diet should be protein
best sources - lean meat, skinless poultry, fish and seafood, low fat dairy, eggs, beans, soya-based products
Veg based proteins - lentils, beans, soya beans, peas, corn, nuts
Fats
good - sunflowr oil, corn oil, rapeseed oil, olive oil
seeds - sesame, linseed, pumpkin
avocado, oily fish
avoid - cheese, butter, fatty meats, processed foods
Water
8 glasses a day

also
eat 3 meals a day - never skip breakfast
eat 3 snacks a day
use as many different ingredients as possible
limit coffee/tea to 2 cups a day - no energy drinks or fizzy drinks

When I have more time I'll write some recipes!

Love Helen

mirry
10-04-06, 10:47
can you buy fruit sugar from the local chemist ?

mirryx

giddy
10-04-06, 11:35
I got mine from tesco - its called fuisana - a bit more expensive than sugar, but worth it if it stops the panic!

Phill2
10-04-06, 11:44
Heres the link
http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/hypo/
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Phill2
10-04-06, 11:47
I drink decaffeinated tea then you don't have to limit your intake
Phill

Phill2
10-04-06, 11:49
Try
www.glycemicindex.com to look at the GI of different foods

mirry
10-04-06, 11:49
thanks Jullip, I just went to my local chemist (had a panic)
they didnt have any fruit sugar:(
i was looking at all the sweet and low sugar free sweets that are suitable for diabetics.
would this mean they are suitable for us to have as a treat when ever we feel a sweet urge coming on? I cant see why not but what do i know lol.

mirryx

Phill2
10-04-06, 11:53
I really don't know about sweets.All I ever have is a small piece of chocolate now and then. Only dark chocolate as its not supposed to upset us panicers like normal chocolate

mirry
10-04-06, 11:57
jullip, i thought dark choc was just as bad as milk because they both contain cocoa which upsets the nervous system as well as sugar ?
I know dark chocolate has iron in it which is good.I did see dark chocolate in the sweet and low range (dont temp me lol )

mirryx

Ammeg
10-04-06, 12:19
i dont know why it made me ill mirry- im a big girl and i dont think it was givin me everything i need for me body!!!
Ammeg

mirry
10-04-06, 14:25
I have just joined e diets and picked up some good tips,

as GI refers to how carbohydrates effects blood sugars,these foods without carbs dont contain a GI value, fish /poultry and red meat.

If you want a higher GI food you can eat it with a lower Gi food food to bring the overall Gi levels down.

Carrots are a high GI believe it or not!

mirryx

jackie
10-04-06, 15:23
mirry i would be very careful before doing this, as i feel a healthy abundant diet rich in fruit and carbs and everything in moderation is essential for anxiety management.

what are the big things you need to cut out and stock up on for this diet

jackie

mirry
10-04-06, 15:39
Hi Jackie, My friend is a diabetic nurse and she trys to follow the GI diet herself because its a very healthy way of eating which can infact prevent people developing diabetis.

Its just basically what the goverment tell us we should be eating,
plenty of fruit and veg and wholesome foods with protien.
Its a very good balance.

We should all be eating more low GI foods and only a few high Gi foods.
for example you can eat a bar of chocolate (high GI) straight after eating a wholemeal sandwich. The sandwich will stop your sugar levels going crazy from the bar of chocolate, basically it will keep the sugar levels more stable.

Its just the case of having the healthier carbs , brown foods instead of white ,which are in pasta/bread/rice.

I will let you know how i get on, i have just ordered my shopping from tescos and have ordered lovely healthy foods ,
hoummous/chickpeas/lentils/fish/slamon/sunflower seeds/mangos/pears/sweet potatos/new potatos/cheese/wholemeal bread/pittas/tuna/slad and veg.
mmmmmmmmmmmm feeling hungry lol

mirryx

emster
10-04-06, 15:41
Hi mirry,
by coincidence i'm starting the GI diet this week, ive tried it before(not for panic attacks - just for weight loss) with no ill effects, i think low blood sugar is a big factor in my attacks so i'm experementing too, it seems a healthy and balanced enough plan to me, i dont think it can do any harm

mirry
10-04-06, 15:46
Thanks emster, I will ask my friend for some more detailed advise on this subject when she gets back from her hols this week.
Just a thought did you loose weight when you last tried it ? Only ive got a stone to loose:(

mirryx

emster
10-04-06, 15:51
I think i did, but i dont really remember how much cos it was a few years ago now, i think it was probably the healthyest i've ever eaten in my life though which cant be a bad thing :D

mirry
10-04-06, 15:59
Yes i have been reading the ediets online and the meals are very healthy. I ordered the sugar mentioned on this thread which is low GI.:D it was 94p.

mirryx

mirry
10-04-06, 19:33
LEMON MERINGE PIE

PASTRY CASE MADE WITH WHOLEMEAL FLOUR.

FILLING
------
1 0Z CORN FLOUR
1/2 PT WATER
2 EGG YOLKS (KEEP WHITES )
GRATED RIND AND JUICE OF 2 LEMONS
2 0Z SUGAR "REPLACEMENT"

USING POTATO PEELER PEEL RIND FROM LEMONS AND SQUEEZE JUICE INTO LIQUIDISER.
ADD WATER,CORNFLOUR,SUGAR AND EGG YOLKS AND BLEND ALL TOGETHER.strain and
POUR INTO PASTRY CASE
---------------------------
WHISK EGG WHITES UNTIL STIFF AND ADD,
2 TBSP ARTIFICIAL SUGAR AND WHISK FOR A FURTHER 2 MINS On MEDIUM SPEED. pile onto lemon mixture.
bake for 10 mins gas mark 3.

mirryx

mirry
11-04-06, 10:03
HEALTHY LOW GI BREAKFAST IDEAS....

SCRAMBLED EGG ON TOAST
--------------------------------
1 SLICE WHOLEMEAL BREAD
2 EGGS
MARGARINE
LOW FAT YOGURT (LOWSUGAR)
1 SMALL BANANA/ORANGE/APPLE
MILK

BEANS ON TOAST
--------------------
5 OZ REDUCED SUGAR BAKED BEANS
1 SLICE WHOLEMEAL BREAD
MARGARINE
1 SMALL BANANA/ORANGE/APPLE
MILK

MELTED CHEESE ON TOAST
--------------------------------
1 SLICE WHOLEMEAL BREAD
CHEESE
SMALL FRUIT
1 LOW FAT PROBIOTIC DRINK
MILK

WEETABIX MINIS WITH BANANA AND PROBIOTIC DRINK
------------------------------------------------------------------
2 OZ WEETABIX MINIS (FRUIT AND NUT)
MILK
1 PROBIOTIC DRINK - ACTIMEL
1 MEDIUM SIZED BANANA/ORANGE/APPLE

PORRIDGE WITH JAM AND SESAME SEEDS
-------------------------------------------------
2 OZ DRY PORRIDGE OATS
NO SUGAR JAM
120 G CANNED FRUIT WITH NO SUGAR.

mirryx

Trev
11-04-06, 10:36
I was told by a nutritonist that the GI diet is a good one to follow. As you say, alot of it is basically what the government dish out as good practice anyway.

In essence it seems to me that it's basically cut out processed crap!!! :D:D I know this is a bit simplistic as there are some exceptions such as carrots as you say. I can't see why it wouldn't be a good diet to follow personally. I've tried to follow its general principles with the odd blow out here and there.........notably on a Saturday night!! :D

I've got a low GI recipe book at home so I might try and use some of them rather than just sticking to my own made up rubbish which generally revolves around tomatoey pasta things or chilli chicken with fresh bits of veggy stuff thrown in. Gordon Ramsay eat you heart out!! :D:D

Good luck with it.

Oh, by the way, I've just remembered about something to do with chocolate as you were talking about it earlier. Some doc in Scandinavia I think it was has found in a small study over 10 or so years that eating a small amount (typically 10g) of high cocoa chocolate (min 70%) resulted in improvements in cardio vascular health. I believe that they are now doing a larger study in this country. Heard it on the radio last week. Others may know more about this.

Cheers,
Trev :D

Piglet
11-04-06, 11:02
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
Some doc in Scandinavia I think it was has found in a small study over 10 or so years that eating a small amount (typically 10g) of high cocoa chocolate (min 70%) resulted in improvements in cardio vascular health. I believe that they are now doing a larger study in this country. Heard it on the radio last week. Others may know more about this.

Cheers,

<div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 11 April 2006 : 11:36:22</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

:D:D:D:D

Well that's me sorted!!!!

Love Piglet x

mirry
11-04-06, 11:17
Trev ,
I absolutely love chocolate!
I thought it wasnt a good option for panic sufferers because it has natural caffiene in it (so ive been told) but if its actually good for you then a no sugar chocolate would be the way to go.
I wonder if its the cocoa part thats good for you? because i suppose I could make a sugar free cocoa cake (not quite the same as chocolate).

mirryx

mirry
11-04-06, 12:15
For lunch i had a wholemeal pitta bread with hoummus and salad...
followed by a digestive biscuit.

NEARLY DONE 24 HOURS, LOL.

mirryx

Ammeg
11-04-06, 12:18
how u feelin mirry?? have u been on the loo alot?? I was wen i did it!!! lol :D

giddy
11-04-06, 12:46
Well done Mirry! What are you having as snacks? I just seem to have fruit, but it can get a bit boring. I'm going to have a go at making some of these:

Apricot and oat cookies
115g sunflower marg
1tbsp honey
1 tsp orange zest
1tsp bicarb of soda
1tbsp hot watre
150g jumbo oats
75g wholemeal flour
75g fruit sugar
115g dried apricots

Oven 170C/Gas 3
put marg, honey and zest in pan and heat until melted
put bicarb and water in small bowl and when dissolved stir in melted marg mixture
mix together remaining ingredients then tip into mixture and stir well
place in heaped spoonfulls on baking tray
bake for 15-20 mins

Love Helen

mirry
11-04-06, 12:48
ammeg lol what were you eating?,
no not yet but i look forward to it because ive been the other way eating all the rubbish ive been eating lately.[}:)]

I know its only been 24 hours but all ive notised so far is i dont seem to need to snack as often, i feel full longer which is good.
I just looked in my packed fridge (tesco have been) and it looks like doctor gillian mckeiths fridge lol.
When my hubby gets in from work hes in for a shock.

mirryx

Piglet
11-04-06, 13:42
Mirry for breakfast I added some ground almonds on top of my cereals for added protein.

Although I know I could have egg for breakfast I tend to eat these in other foods too during the week so don't want to eat too many.

What sort of things to do you eat at breakfast time for protein????

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Trev
11-04-06, 17:22
Hi Mirry, I also wondered about the caffeine element as I'd heard the same. All I can say is that it's been ok for me. It has to be the very high cocoa stuff though so I think that this already has considerably less sugar. It tastes quite bitter but I like it. I haven't got a sweet tooth really but I do like chocolate. Cream eggs are my weakness in that dept really! :D

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Well that's me sorted!!!!

Love Piglet x</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

..........it doesn't include sucking the outer stuff off of rolos though Piglet!! You'll have to buy the high cocoa stuff and melt it down to put around your sucked off rolos so that you can then re-suck it off......if that all makes sense!!!!! :D

Cheers,

By the way, I also have muesli with almonds sprinkled over the top or Ready Brek for breakfast.

mirry
11-04-06, 17:37
Piglet, For breakfast protien I have Turkey rashers/cheese/egg/low sugar beans/yogurt/sesame seeds/milk.

Giddy, those cookies sound lovely - what Gi score do dried apricots
have? and let us know how they taste;) This is what i need sweet tooth ideas.

note: milk and yogurt are a poor protien , best to stick to the others.

On the ediets ive joined its brilliant, they have a welath of info on Gi diet and on the message boards ive posted about gi diet and anxiety and asked has it helped anyones anxiety, ive had several replies from people saying yes it has helped them, one person said yes and its only since reading my post they have realised how much calmer they have been (gives us all hope).

mirryx

feege
11-04-06, 17:52
Hi all! Well done Mirry this is a really positive thread and I hope to try and join in when I get over my current blip and until I get to see the nutrionist! I haven't been able to get to the shops and won't till Thursday and I have NO BANANAS (Piglet what will I do? lol).

Trev your cooking sounds exactly like mine! I think I just need to eat more, I have a very poor appetite and although I try to eat healthily it's hard work with all my tummy troubles. This thread is really inspiring so I shall lurk!!!!

Good luck to you all - it's just very sensible!

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

Piglet
11-04-06, 17:53
Trev another snorting moment at that last post mate :D:D:D:D

Do I buy this very posh chocolate from Woolworths then - I think I may have seen it in large bars [Sigh...] that say 70% or something.

Piglet the chocolatier

xxxxx

Piglet
11-04-06, 17:58
No bananas Fee - OMG!!!!!!

I now travel with bananas in my handbag - stopped carrying them around on my person because I was getting a few funny looks[:I]!!!

I am now going to work on the breakfast thing and making sure there is enough protein in it as like you Mirry I probably eat way too many carbs.

I may now travel at all times with a cheese buttie and a banana - especially on visits to Primark!!!!

Piglet xxxx

mirry
11-04-06, 18:49
Thanks feege, Let us all know how you get on with your nutritinist and join in when your ready:D any input is is very welcome.

Piglet so you love bananas ehh ? how about this...........

HOT CINNAMON BANANAS AND YOGURT DESSERT
----------------------------------------------------------

1 tbsp low fat marg
1 ripe banana, thickly sliced
ground cinammon
1 tsp honey (a medium gi food)
1 or 2 tsp greek yogurt

melt marg in a pan and add sliced banana .
cook gently until heated thru and holds it shape. serve sprinkled with cinamon / yogurt and honey.

NOTE YOU CAN EVEN SERVE ON WHOLEMEAL TOAST FOR BREAKFAST.

mirryx

Trev
11-04-06, 18:52
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I now travel with bananas in my handbag - stopped carrying them around on my person because I was getting a few funny looks!!!</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote"> :D:D:D:D:D Very amusing!

I think they sell this chocolate everywhere. I think it might be more expensive but then you should need less of it!!
I can't walk past cream eggs at the moment. I keep buying those packets of 6 and having one a day. Wonder if I'll get bird flu???
Mind you eggs are full of protein anyway so that's one good thing :D:D:D

I'm off to get my tea by coincidence and I have no idea what it's going to be. It'll have to be quick coz I want to see the apprentice...........another cream egg then :D[^]

Trev
11-04-06, 18:53
Mirry......quick note on marg. AVOID HYDROGENATED FAT ONES

Cheers,
Trev

mirry
11-04-06, 19:42
TREV, I GOT FLORA LIGHT, IS THAT OK ?

CREAM EGGS = ANXIETY [}:)]

mirryx

Trev
11-04-06, 20:29
Hi Mirry,

If you look on the side of the container it should declare the ingredients and their breakdown. I've a feeling that one doesn't have them but I don't use marg so am not up on which ones do or don't. Some will even say now on the top that they contain no hydrogenated fats.

From what I have read, hydrogenated fats are the real baddies. They get used alot in packaged ready meals like lasagne etc. but they also creep up in biscuits and all sorts of stuff (but not cream eggs!).

We do need fats in our diet but not hydrogenated ones from what I've been lead to believe. However, I'm no nutritionist!!!

I know cream eggs are not good but I've been alright for a while so I'm slipping back into little luxuries here and there! [}:)]

Cheers,

mirry
11-04-06, 21:36
Trev,
I dont use margarine on toast or bread but i do use it in cooking.
Cream eggs are bliss but in the long run make me feel tired and depressed (also more likely to snack).

Tonight i had chicken breast , new potatoes and veg.

This morning i felt jittery but this afternoon i feel very calm
(early days yet).

mirryx

Piglet
11-04-06, 22:47
I use soya margarine for cooking and you cant tell the difference.

I also use a bit of real butter in things too (our bodies at least know what to do with this type of honest fat and thats to put it on our thighs, whereas god only knows where the hydrogentated stuff goes).

I also use a little Flora proactive on toast but I will go and double check if that has hydrogentated fats in it or the trans fatty acids etc.

I intend to get myself a bar of posh chocolate very soon.

Cream eggs indeed!!!!!!!!

Have printed off the banana recipe Mirry - not that I need any encourage to wolf down a nana at any time of the day or night.[:I]:D

Love Piglet xx

Trev
11-04-06, 22:57
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">whereas god only knows where the hydrogentated stuff goes).</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

...........it floats up to the top of your body due to being lighter than air and then by a process of osmosis it passes through your scalp where it clings to your hair folicles thereby making all the hair on your head stand on end..........apparently. Must be true, I googled it. :D:D:D[:o)]

I think it's getting late and I'm bored!!!

Cheers,

Piglet
11-04-06, 23:04
OMG then I must have had some at some point then, as my hair is like Ken Dodds [}:)][:I][:I]:D

Get to bed man before our conversation starts losing the plot - no one could cope with our exercise thread, so they certainly won't cope with a fatty acids type thread.

And anyway (yes I know you can't start a sentance with and) you havent told us about your hols yet - how were the new ski's???

Love Piglet xx

Trev
11-04-06, 23:52
Well Ken, I am off to bed after this as I don't know how much further we can go with a fatty acids based thread!

The new skis were very fast, thanks for asking. Made a bit of progress in technique as well, so happy all round. Conditions fab but got a little slushy later in the day due to loads of sun. All in all it was a great break. I haven't mentioned it as I don't want to pee people off by going on about having a good time when they might not be really.

Hope your course is going ok but I'll PM you tomorrow rather than divert this thread.

Cheers,

mirry
12-04-06, 08:49
I FOUND THIS WEBSITE WHICH SEEMS VERY GOOD:D

http://www.lowcarbiseasy.com/aboutlowcarb.htm

It has alot of information about avoiding High GI foods, the discussion forum has alot of people on it and only yest a girl has posted about her panic atacks and diet (under sugar sensitive).
The good thing is it explains how we all have a certain amount of carbs that we can eat and if we go over that amount our body produces symptoms.

mirryx

mirry
12-04-06, 09:17
THE LOW gi SUGAR
-----------------------

VISIT
WWW.FUISANAN.COM

mirryx

giddy
12-04-06, 17:09
Hi Mirry - thanks for the websites, I'll have a look tonight when I've a bit more time. Not made the cookies yet (time again!!!), hopefully tomorrow so I'll let you know how they turn out.
Possibly having my parents to lunch over the weekend - any ideas for a 'posh' easy low GI lunch? Thought I'd give your lemon meringue pie a go for pud!
Love Helen

mirry
12-04-06, 17:26
mmmmm how about roast "new" potatoes, roast lamb and green beans and cauliflower ? ALL LOW GI .

I HAVE JUST MADE A LOW GI CAKE ,
I AM WAITING FOR IT TO COOL
(CANT WAIT) IT ACTUALLY LOOK GREAT WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TASTES LATER;)

mirryx

giddy
13-04-06, 16:41
Thanks Mirry - hope your cake was good!
Love Helen

mirry
13-04-06, 21:56
The cake was nice helen, i made two and put one in the freezer.
Hows it going for you ? Have you decided what to do for lunch ?

Ive had a very stressfull day today and really wanted chocolate,
I kept busy and made a nice pair of curtains for my dining room....never done it before but where i dont work much i cant afford to pay people to make them (another skill aquired due to panic attacks).

mirryx

giddy
14-04-06, 08:12
Hi Mirry - I know what you mean about wanting chocolate - afetr my mini financial crisis yesterday I was desperate for chocolate and with 3 easter eggs sat on the side it was hard to hold off!!!
I think I'm going to do lamb for lunch.
Hows your husband taking to the food - mine isn't too keen - hes an ex chef and used to lots of butter, cream etc in his cooking?
Well done on the curtains - I wouldn't know where to start!!
Love Helen

Phill2
14-04-06, 09:43
Hi Guys
Hows it going? Anyone notice a difference to their anxiety yet?
I did the 1st day.
Are you all having your 3 snacks per day cause ultimately that's the secret?
Phill

mirry
14-04-06, 12:55
hi giddy, my husband likes the food, hes easily pleased lol.

You know giddy from what ive been reading you can have some chocolate, but if you do ,you must eat a low GI food first and then eat the chocolate straight after and it will lower the GI of the chocolate bar (how weird is that). I think if we are to keep this going we should have a little of what we fancy.

Also i have read chocolate is a medium GI food[^] .

Jullip, I have found eating low Gi foods keeps me full much longer,
So i forget about the snacks.........what snacks are you eating ?

mirryx

giddy
14-04-06, 17:25
Hi
Found a great site - 12 weeks of menus and snacks completely free!! Its ideal for me as I need to be very organised and it means I know exactly what I'm eating, when and what I need to buy each week - even persuaded hubby to give it a go with me!!
its
www.woolworthsfresh.com.au/dietclub/low_GI_meal_plans/index.php
Have a look
Love Helen

Phill2
14-04-06, 22:10
For moning tea I have grain crackers with cheese and in the afternooon some Sakata seaweed rice crackers usually. The rice crackers are a great snack as a whole packet is only .8grms of fat and they taste good too

dream
15-04-06, 07:22
Hi all
what a great idea mirry,
could someone just help me here a little bit
are you all buying food with the GI logo on,
i dont really want to start doing this as cant really afford
to with 3 kids ,
what am i looking for when i go shopping im i cutting out
carbohydrates(if so the lower the better it is for you )
sorry for sounding so dim lol[:I][:I]

denise

mirry
15-04-06, 19:46
HI dream,

Foods are either low gi/medium gi or high gi.
Just try to eat low GI foods alot , choose brown foods,
a small portion of brown rice/brown bread/brown pasta, avoid sugar as much as possible and if you really must eat sugar eat it after eating a low gi food.........it then slows down the sugar absorbtion.

Giddy , i will go look at the web site youve found (sounds good).

Jullip, RICE CRACKERS ? Are they white rice ?

mirryx

mirry
15-04-06, 19:55
3 weeks ago i had food poisoning and didnt eat for 3 days, i remember my skin went lovely and calm (i usually have a flushed look to my face).

Following this Gi plan has made my skin go all clear and nice again, and the interesting thing is this, yest I ate some chocolate (as a treat) after eating a low gi food:D
about 2 hours later my skin went all flushed and my dermatitis i suffer from flared up severe.
I cant belive cabohydrates effect my skin so much
and also after eating the chocolate i had some anxiety.

Today i been very very calm, shopped alot and no anxiety[:P]

mirryx

Phill2
16-04-06, 07:58
Hi Mirry
I don't know what sort of rice they are but they are paper thin and very nice

giddy
16-04-06, 08:47
Glad to hear the diet is helping Mirry, I'm not sure I feel any different yet but I did fall asleep quickly last night and didn't wake up during the night - maybe because of the diet?
Love Helen

mirry
16-04-06, 13:47
Helen,

cant belive you say about the sleep, i have slept loads better in a very deep sleep. i have also more energy today.

i am having for dinner......

roast chicken and veg, instead of potatoes im having mashed cauliflower with butter and melted cheese on top[:P]

dessert; whipped double cream with artificial sweetner and strawberrys.

the whole meal is low gi.

i am picking up recipes everywhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
low carb/low gi/atkins = basically the same thing (avoiding high carbs).

mirryx

mirry
17-04-06, 07:52
Has anyone found they have lost weight eating this way ?

I just weighed myself and have lost 3lb:D

I have really enjoyed the food and may pop into a health shop to see what low gi foods they have in there.

The cauliflower bake was lovely (recommended).

mirryx

Phill2
18-04-06, 05:27
Glad to hear you're into it Mirry I find I sleep very well and have lots more energy.
Instead of potato you can have sweet potato
Phill

mirry
18-04-06, 07:31
Jullip. i love sweet potatoes especially if well baked.

I slice it open like a baked potato ,with grated cheese and baked tomatos and mushroomsand mayo.
what do you put on yours ?

I have to work this morning so will have a wholemeal pitta bread for lunch with tuna and salad followed by yogurt and fruit:D.

My sleep is deeper and i dont feel tired first thing in the morning, my skin is the best improvement[:I] my anxiety has reduced but its early days.

mirryx

Phill2
18-04-06, 07:45
Hi Mirry
I just cook mine in the microwave then have a bit of butter on it.
I avoid baked or fried foods as the medication has put weight on me and I don't want to gain anymore
Phill

tattybear
18-04-06, 10:53
HI,

I tried to do this way of eating a while ago but let it slip [:I]

I do try where possible to eat as well as i can, and never eat processed foods etc or ones with loads of additives.

I have been a bit naughtly with choclate over the easter weekend, but normally just keep choclate as a treat once a week.

Im gonna really try eating the GI way.

The main thing i struggle with tho, is snacks.

Does Any one have any recipes/idea etc as snacks? I hate yoghurts etc so dont eat those, i normally go for a banana, but would like a bit of variety!!

One other tip - I have found lately that my anxiety/panic hasnt been as bad, and it seems to be as I have started having a hot fresh lemon drink each morning, which is supposed to get rid of toxins in your body.

I always start the day now with a pint of water, a banana, 2 bits of wholemeal toast and a hot lemon drink - the fresh juice of half a lemon.
It seems to really set the day up well for me, and i have felt better since having it, whether it is down to that, im not sure, but it works for me!

Tatty B xx

mirry
19-04-06, 09:54
I was hoping this blood sugar idea would help but today i have had 5 panic attacks ! I took my daughter to school and then met up with my friend and we visited the local charity shops and pet shop.

I took bad everywhere we went and went so dizzy i was convinced i was going to fall over because i couldnt breath.

All i know is last night i had horrible nightmares and today feel exhausted,also my monthly is only days away...........
how long does it take ???:(

mirryx

tattybear
19-04-06, 10:03
Hi Mirry,

I guess that it wil take time for it to make a big dfference, you say your monthlys only a few days away...maybe this could be why you feel so bad today? I know that i alwasy feel worse leading up to mine.

Keep smiling hun :D

Tatty B xx

mirry
20-04-06, 15:11
I have had anxiety and some panics today too, I have started taking quiet life pills and so far ive been bad! Mind you the pills do have sucrose in them......could a tiny weeny bit of sugar make me like this???

On the whole im eating like a saint.

mirryx

giddy
27-04-06, 16:46
Hi Mirry - just checking in to see how the diets going?
Love Helen

kellynwv
27-04-06, 21:09
I'm so happy! I have been on this diet since the day after Christmas. I went on it also because I thought it would help my Anxiety.

It took me a few months before I seen a differenence with my anxiety. I never have any attacks now. I still have an occasional bad day or two where I feel like my skin is crawling and I don't feel in my body.. but that does not happen very often.

This diet has been wonderful for me! I have lost 34 pounds and I am now a size 8! I feel better, and I know I am treating my body like I should be. I gave up all artificial sweeteners also, though. That was my choice though.

I am always looking for any suggestions or new recipes so I will keep checking this thread!

I just thought I would share my story.

denise84
27-04-06, 22:40
hi, just came accross this and thought i would let you know that i once heard lettuce was good for people who suffer panic attacks, not sure why though...... just thought i would say.x.

dmcgovern

kellynwv
28-04-06, 15:01
I eat Uncle Sam cereal every morning. I buy it at Wal-mart. So far it is the only cereal I can find without added sugar or aspertame. It is high fiber and low GI. It also has high content of Omega-3.

Two heads
28-04-06, 17:05
Well ive been very bad today and had three donuts for lunch!Im only 7 and half stone and thought in fancy them so im having them.I never eat lke that but just was out and fancyed them yum yum...

mirry
01-05-06, 10:30
my friend found a article from a paper about the low GI diet.

It reads,
"if you squirt lemon juice over any meal, it will lower the overall Gi value of that meal".
well you can imagine, ive eaten everything with lemon squirted over it.

Also purchased sweet n low chocolate from the health shop which is a low GI and tasted lovely ! they have milk or plain bars.

mirryx

Phill2
01-05-06, 11:56
Hi Mirry
You said you had 5 panic attacks in 1 day . How do you define a panic attack?
To me a panic attack is curled up in bed afraid to get up or eat or sleep. Anything less I call heightened anxiety.
Just wondering how other people see things
Thanks
Phill

mirry
03-05-06, 12:11
jullip, to me a panic attack is a sudden rush of fear...to me its like a horrible feeling washes over my body, like a heat with heart pumping like mad completly dizzy and breathless.

to me not getting out of bed because of the fear is acute anxiety to me which can then build up to a panic.

I suppose everyones different ?

mirryx

Phill2
04-05-06, 11:25
We sure are. You think the exact opposite to me but I can relate to the sudden rush of heat or cold. Catches you by surprise doesn't it?
Phill

mirry
04-05-06, 13:02
phil, the heat rush seems to me like embarrasement, like blushing but much worse (more like burning)

mirryx

feege
04-05-06, 21:24
Oh mirry yes I get those hot feelings (sometimes one side of the face) loads these days but then I'm menopausal!!! But I know it is anxiety related too...

For me a panic attack is sudden onset, palpitations, shaking, blurred vision etc, total fight or flight syndrome... I also have days of 'high anxiety' where I'm twitchy and on edge and nervous all day and days when I get weird physical symptoms, days when I feel terrified of something dreadful happening, days when I can't get out of bed because it's too overwhelming - but a panic attack is always palpitations and sheer terror! Although I still get them I understand them better and recover much more quickly than I used to!

I also have days like today when the sun is shining and I feel absolutely fine - but not enough of them!!!!

I am going to see a dietician at the end of may after being diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and duodenitis but I really want to try this diet too...

Sorry to hear it's not working yet, but I have heard it takes a good while to really make any difference! Good luck - it's very healthy anyway so has to be a good thing xxxxxxxxxxx

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

Phill2
05-05-06, 00:27
Hi Guys
The diet has done wonders for me but the meds prevent me from losing much weight. You're right though - it's a very healthy way to eat and has done wonders for both my wife and myself blood pressure and cholesterol wise. My wife has lost 5 kg on t in a few months and is so pleased she can fit back into some of her "skinny " clothes
Phill

mirry
06-05-06, 09:28
MADE A LOW GI PASTRY AND IT WAS REALLY NICE USED AS A APPLE PIE, I USED;

4OZ SOYA FLOUR
4OZ WHOLEWHEAT FLOUR
2 TABLESPOON SUGAR REPLACEMENT
4OZ BUTTER/MARGARINE
2 TABLESPOONS WATER TO MIX

MIX ALL TOGETHER INTIL YOU GET A DOUGH IF TOO DRY ADD MORE WATER UNTIL IT BINDS TOGETHER INTO A PASTRY.
--------------------------------------------------

3 COOKING APPLES
1 OZ SUGAR REPLACEMENT
PINCH CINAMMON
4 TABLESPOON WATER

PLACE IN PAN AND HEAT UNTIL SOFTENED.
----------------------------------------------------------

GREASE A PIE DISH AND LINE WITH PASTRY AND THEN ADD THE APPLES, FINISH BY ADDING PASTRY ON TOP !

mirryx

kellynwv
23-05-06, 15:42
Hey guys

How is everyone doing on the diet?

Well I have a problem, I have lost too much weight on it. My family says not to loose anymore. I want to stay on it, because I feel better. Any suggestions? I eat all the time, just low gi foods.

Thanks!

mirry
24-05-06, 13:41
ooooo kelly dont go too mad or you will fade away, what things are you eating ?

I havent lost weight at all but then again i havent been too strict.

I basically have changed all my whites to brown.........
my bread/rice/pasta.

my sugar to a low gi fruit sugar.

And i just avoid the high gi foods.....carrots/pineapple.

Try to eat new potatos or sweet potatos instead of baked/fried.

and if i do eat something sweet out of a wrapper just make sure i eat it after a low gi food.

infact i need to loose weight but i must admit it certainly takes the egdge off my anxiety:D

mirryx

kellynwv
24-05-06, 13:57
hi,

I gave up all refined white, sugar and flour. I also gave up all caffeine and arifical sweetners. The only thing I drink is water.

I eat fruits, vegies, all kinds of meat including red, and cheeses. I also eat a high fiber cereal all the time.

I have been on the diet for months and lost around 1 to 2 pounds a week, it does take time.

I just can't stop loosing. I am below 130 now and I am 5'8'.

Phill2
25-05-06, 08:54
Hi Mirry
Glad to hear its finally doing some good
Phill

Dan
25-05-06, 10:09
hi there
i found cutting out sugar and caffeine really helped
am stuggling to keep to it at mo as had a v v v stressful week last week and i comfort eat even tho i feel it is not helping my anxiety which is bad again at mo prob due to problems of the bad week anyway sorry to waffle
just wanted to ask what wrong with pineapple i love it
Dan

giddy
25-05-06, 16:24
Hi - I've been eating too much chocolate and cake this week and my stomach has become all bloated again! Eating low gi the bloating virtually went - time to cut back and get back on track I think.
Love Helen

mirry
26-05-06, 07:51
Pineapple/parsnips/carrots - are a high GI food

i was shocked when i read this !:(

mirryx

Phill2
05-06-06, 03:03
Hi Mirry
I was even more shocked to find that cornflakes are super high
Phill

kellynwv
05-06-06, 13:27
Hi! Well now I am worried I am going to gain my weight back. I decided to go on Zoloft because I coudln't take it anymore. I hope I don't gain all my weight back I lost.. long as i stay the same.. I will be happy.. give or take a few pounds :-).

nades
15-10-09, 17:43
Hi to all that experience this. I have been told I have been suffering from stress / anxiety. i have had dry mouth, shakiness, lethargy, panic attacks, nubness in arms and legs and feeling that i may pass out.
I am worse when slightly hungry. i have to always keep some kind of sugary snack on me to get back to normal. I feel diabetic but as with other, tetss perfect. All bloods have been excellent. I have been wondering why i feel so awfull if I am so healthy?? I am on 6 month waiting list to see ME specialist as this was the final straw for my doctor. I used to enjoy running but find I am so tired, shakey afterwards and my head throbs causing dizziness. I know I sound like I need putting down but I have learnt to get on with things to an extent because I am still here!! Anyone else had these experiences in one go??
Nades