PDA

View Full Version : Stating the bleeding obvious!!

W.I.F.T.S.
10-04-06, 12:08
It may sound strange, especially as I've suffered from panic attacks and everything else for over 3 years, but I realised just the other day that the root of my problems is fear!!!

I mean not only are my panic attacks caused by fear, but also the underlying depression, which I've had for most of my life.

Fear has prevented me from travelling more, going for a satisfying career, being more outgoing socially. I didn't have a girlfriend until I was 22 because i was afraid that they'd think I was strange and mock me to everyone else. When I did eventually get a girlfriend it was the happiest time of my life....until she cheated on me!! ;) But, you've just got to get back on the horse, so to speak.

I've been depressed for most of my life because I've been so passive and inhibited. I'd let people walk all over me and stick in bad relationships because I was scared of being on my own.

I'm still suffering now, but in some ways I feel so much more powerful and in control of my life. I'm voluntarily working as the Social Coordinator for a gym (as well as my full time job). I organise trips, outings, sports teams and competitions. I feel that it can really help to get my career back on track and it gives me the opportunity to get people together to do things that I'm interested in doing myself, but have never been proactive enough or had people to do it with myself. I even handed out questionairres in the gym and chatted to some of the members!!

I'm learning that things are never as scary as you think they are and that you get so much out of pushing through the fear!!

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

lildutt
10-04-06, 12:37
hi
it sounds like you doing great keep it up and well done
bellxx

bluesparkle
10-04-06, 12:48
hi
that was a really nice post to read... well done you :D
you are very right nothing is quite as scary as it seems... and we do need to push ourselves a little bit to find this out...
the title to your post did make me giggle!!! :)
it took me a long time to realise that this was all caused by fear and how my mind had got muddled.
you are doing great
take care
rach

Southern_Belle
10-04-06, 14:48
hello,

Great post! Yes, I totally agree with you! Mine is fear of the unknown that gets me. If I could just be in control of everything then I would be healed, lol! Thanks, again for the post.

Bel