PDA

View Full Version : potassium

jothenurse
04-04-11, 03:43
Has anyone taken potassium before? I used to take it last year when I had lost a lot of weight and my potassium was really low. They thought my IBS had something to do with it. Now my potassium is down a little again, around 3.2 (3.5 is low normal) and I have to take 20meq every day. They will recheck it in a couple of weeks. I know this can bother your stomach, though I'm not sure if it did when I took it before, because with the anxiety my stomach is touchy. I've been taking it for about 6 days now and I have a pain in lower abdomen sometimes. Kind of like my IBS, but I usually don't have it every day. And I haven't been able to eat as much lately, so I'm afraid my weight will go down. Just wondering if this is from my increase anxiety, which is high right now, and my fear of medicine, or if the potassium is bothering me. Just scared. I know I need to take the potassium, because that is important, but am afraid because I know some of the side effects can be an upset stomach and diarrhea, or even getting an ulcer. I think that is rare though.

evil monkey
04-04-11, 11:37
bananas are good for potassium

dont quote me on this but if you go in the sauna, low potassium from sweating can cause muscle cramps

jothenurse
04-04-11, 13:01
I try to eat a banana every day. They sometimes think that my lower potassium may have something to do with my irritable bowel. I'm just afraid to use the potassium, because I'm afraid it will upset my stomach and I already have trouble eating with my anxiety.