PDA

View Full Version : Scared I have been infected with HIV

sunflower7
04-04-11, 14:39
I am so worried. My anxiety is really bad at the moment. Today I went to the supermarket and picked up a bag of onions. I realised there was something on the bag which looked like blood and it had got on to my hand aswell. I washed them staright away but now I am terrified I have infected myself with HIV or hepatitis. I am 20 weeks pregnant and so scared. Do you think I should go to the Doctor?

Please help :weep:

Vixxy
04-04-11, 14:44
Your skin is built to deal with all kinds of threats to your body. It keeps the bacteria and diseases out. It does a good job!
This might help.

Studies have proven time and time again that HIV does not survive well outside the human body. In artificially high concentrations produced in the lab, HIV drying that occurs outside of the body reduces the number of infectious viral particles by 99 percent in just a few hours. Since the concentration of HIV in blood or other bodily fluids is much lower, HIV drying outside the human body virtually eliminates all infectious HIV particles therefore making the risk of HIV infection from blood or bodily fluids outside the body essentially zero.

You should be completely safe as most infections require an "entry" into your body. Through an open wound, cut, needle, or sex.
Seeing as you are pregnant you will be having regular blood tests, so why not ask next time you have one done to get tested. Just to put your mind at rest.
You will be fine though :) and congrats on the baby!

sunflower7
04-04-11, 14:52
Thanks. I am so scared. I know it seems silly but in my mind its not. x

Vixxy
04-04-11, 14:54
I can understand. Logical thought goes out the window and along comes Mr anxiety to scare the pants off you! Try to stay calm by breathing slowly and deeply and think of things that make you happy.

sunflower7
04-04-11, 18:49
Has anyone else worried about anything similar? x