PDA

View Full Version : Are panic attacks really not dangerous?

bubloo
04-04-11, 14:39
We are always told panic attacks cannot kill you but recent studies done which can be found if you google the subject suggest that panic attacks can cause long term damage to the heart and lead to a "real" heart attack.

Any thoughts on this?

paula lynne
04-04-11, 14:42
Oh GOD I DIDNT NEED TO HEAR THAT TODAY :weep:

Nothing against you bubloo.

bubloo
04-04-11, 14:46
Oh GOD I DIDNT NEED TO HEAR THAT TODAY :weep:

Nothing against you bubloo.

sorry, Paula, I didnt want to hear it either, but when you see stuff online, it upsets you and makes you panic even more....

blueangel
04-04-11, 14:55
Hmm, I think that this is actually fairly old news, as I've just done a bit of searching and found an article on this from 2008.

It does suggest that there *might* (only "might", not "is") be a link between long-term anxiety and the development of heart disease in later life. BUT - the good news appears to be that anxiety sufferers are less likely to actually die of heart disease, as because they visit their doctors more often, they will get diagnosed sooner and therefore receive better treatment.

Hope this helps!!

suzy-sue
04-04-11, 14:55
Posting information from Dr Google isnt a very good idea .Hes a pratt lets face it .These studies are not conclusive and fail to consider other factors .STOP GOOGLING ..sue

oldtime
04-04-11, 14:58
Can we delete this thread as it is not going to help anyone!!!!!

bubloo
04-04-11, 15:03
Can we delete this thread as it is not going to help anyone!!!!!

I can do if thats the majority consensus but I am sure I am not the only one who has seen these articles and it does help to talk about it rather than pretend they don't exist.

oldtime
04-04-11, 15:19
OK long term stress, anxiety, panic attacks, poor sleep, high blood pressure is going to harm your health. But your body is very resiliant and will take a heck of a lot of punishment. In the short to medium term there is no risk to you. It is best not to think about the long term risk and concentrate on the present, the future is not known it is what we can do to help ourselves now in the present that matters.

honeyp1e
04-04-11, 15:37
I just don't listen to anything off google anymore as just makes you panic more and most of it is all S**T anyway x x

nomorepanic
04-04-11, 17:44
Did the article say panic attacks themselves can damage the heart or did it say that panic attack sufferers are more likely to have heart problems? It makes a big difference.

bubloo
04-04-11, 18:04
Did the article say panic attacks themselves can damage the heart or did it say that panic attack sufferers are more likely to have heart problems? It makes a big difference.

That panic attacks and the stress associated with it, damages the heart and can lead to those people more likely to develop heart disease.

nomorepanic
04-04-11, 18:28
Ok what I am thinking here is that stress can be bad for the heart in some ways as it raises blood pressure and the body releases something - can't remember what it was called now - that is also bad for the body.

There is also the problem of what sufferers do to cope with the panic attacks - i.e resort to alcohol, smoke more, eat more etc and that in turn has an effect on the heart.

paula lynne
04-04-11, 18:38
Constant stress releases Cortisol Nic, which is fine in healthy individuals, but released long term has damaging effects.