PDA

View Full Version : Stroke, Tumor, MS or something else.

j2
04-04-11, 14:49
I am a long time sufferer of HA. I am a 40 yr old male with a history of GERD and IBS. I am not on any medication. For months I have been having recurring numbness in my thumb, index and middle fingers on both hands. Not at the same time but nearly everyday. I also have some pain in my neck and a near constant pain under my left shoulder blade. I sometimes have numbness of the left side of my face and I feel like I am tripping over words. I am very worried as I have posted similar threads in the recent past and got no or little response and thus my mind goes straight to "If nobody is responding then it must be very serious". I hate to burden you with my problems but just a litte rational reassurance as to what this could be besides something horrible would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

paula lynne
04-04-11, 15:05
Hi J2 x
I had numbness in my thumb, index and middle fingers on both hands like you, and was recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I thought this past year it was anxiety, as I also have tingling in my face/tongue/chin.
Im not suggesting you have carpal tunnel, but it may be worth considering. It is easily diagnosed with nerve conduction tests.
Unfortunately, anxiety produces so many symptoms, that our docs can so easily dismiss everything as anxiety related.
I am now aware the tingling in my face etc IS anxiety. I suffer with neck pain too, so your pain could be muscular.

You are not a burden x:)

blueangel
04-04-11, 15:11
Having known two or three people who have had carpal tunnel syndrome, they have all reported numbness in their thumb and first two fingers at various times (for some reason, it doesn't seem to affect the outside of the hand). There's a possibility that this is also connected to the pain in your neck, as you might have trapped nerves there as well.

Is there any chance you can go and see your doctor about it? It would be worth the reassurance, I'm sure.

j2
04-04-11, 15:34
I had thought about carpal tunnell too but I am wondering how the neck and upper back pain play into all this. I just can't shut off my mind that is screaminga t me that this is something horrible.

paula lynne
04-04-11, 15:36
Well maybe ask your GP about carpel tunnel and deal with that first.

j2
04-04-11, 19:54
Does anyone know if neck problems can lead to symptoms similar to carpal tunnell?

scaredstiff695
04-04-11, 20:04
hi your neck pain and upper back pain sounds very similiar to me. mine is tension and can last days or just a few hours, best time is hot bathrelaxxes it a little. the numbness i get in my hands and face and mine is anxietyy and also muscle related. think how your muscles are connected. you worry so much that you maybe making them number if that makes sense.

dont no abouyt that carpel thing but others here say it sounds familiar so probably good idea to get it looked at. xx