PDA

View Full Version : Trouble concentrating at work

Anna C
04-04-11, 21:53
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone who works sometimes finds it hard to concentrate?

I have recently been doing over-time at work on reception, I thought it might help me with my social anxiety as I would have to speak to more people. Normally on the days I work it is very quiet but today was busy and I made a stupid mistake, the thing is I seem to keep making them and I don't know if its incompetence on my part or anxiety. I don't always feel completely stressed or anxious, but my anxiety is always there even when I don't feel too bad ( I hope that makes sense!)

I don't know if I'm making mistakes because I don't do the reception desk often enough or I should stop doing it altogether. Or if I should stop working there until I am less anxious or feeling better, but if I don't do more things and try to be around people I will always be scared and anxious!! I don't want to go into work tomorrow as everyone will know, they won't be surprised as they are probably used to me making stupid mistakes by now.

Anyway I just wondered if anyone else thinks their work suffers because of how they are feeling?

Thanks if you can help, as I am feeling quite low at the moment.

Anna

paula lynne
04-04-11, 23:05
Hi Anna, everyone makes mistakes. Everyone. Im sure you are imagining that people only notice your mistakes. You are right, you need to try more things and be around people. Maybe try some positive affermations? Little sayings that you refer to during the day. Susan Jeffers does a little book of affermations......and also one called "Inner talk for a confident day" x

Anna C
05-04-11, 18:28
Hi Paula,

Thanks for your reply, I have the cd of inner talk for a confident day. I don't think I used it very often, so I will have to find it and start listening to it and hopefully it might help.

Thanks again for your help.

Anna

haynsey
05-04-11, 18:33
Hi,
I always get nervous before and during, and after work.
My anxiety levels go through the roof, and i find it hard to concentrate and i get nervous talking to people
x:bighug1:

Anna C
06-04-11, 18:10
Hi Haynesy,

Ar least its not just me then, if you find it hard to concentrate sometimes too.

Is there anything that you do that you think helps you to cope better in work?

Thanks Anna

expecto patronum
14-04-11, 00:04
Hi Anna. I also work on a reception and like you I used to beat myself up for making mistakes. I try to catch myself when I'm beating myself up though (which tends to happen on days when my concentration is bad due to tiredness and tension) as there are two very good reasons not to: 1) I know from experience that worrying about it becomes a viscious cycle where it becomes more likely to happen because it's upsetting you. 2) It is NORMAL to make small 'verbal' mistakes when you are talking (often saying the same things over and over) all day, even people who don't have an anxiety disorder occasionally stutter, slur a word or accidentally start saying somehting that they've already said to that customer because they are on 'autopilot'! What has helped me has been acceptance; if you think 'I must not do that today' when you know that you might, you're going to naturally feel fearful of that situation, so I say to myself 'ok, I might mess up sometimes' and try to embrace it. Realising that it's not such a terrible thing really helps too; is it really going to ruin someone's day just because the lady on reception said or did something slightly incorrect? They'll get over it!! Also it really helped me to be able to laugh about it; I have one colleague/friend who will say 'I just spoke to that person and mixed all my words up" and she'll laugh about it and take the p*ss out of herself a bit, and it makes me think 'hey, everyone does it, its completely normal, and quite funny really'.
I'm sure you're perfectly competant, please be kind to yourself and allow yourself to make mistakes, the only thing you're doing wrong is expecting yourself to be perfect!
Take care x

Eternity
14-04-11, 00:54
Hi
that was a lovely reply and so true lol. I'm an office manager and I'm having a really hard time at work,my doctor has just put me off on the sick yesterday. Everyone does make mistakes but when you're feeling low and anxious, you tend to make a big deal out of it, whereas if you were feeling ok you probably wouldn't even notice. My boss is a pain and picks up on everything. I was really struggling a while ago and making little mistakes andshe really pulled me over the coals about it. So much so that ever since, every time she calls me to her office or phones my office I feel physically sick as I'm so paranoid that I've done something wrong, it's horrible. Probably one of the main reasons I'm off at the minute, doesn't seem to matter if she does something wrong. We are all human and we do make mistakes but we have to learn to just say 'ah well', maybe unload onto someone who'll laugh with you about it and try to forget about it. It's not easy I know.
Good luck tomorrow and please let us know how you get on.
Love
Tina x

Anna C
17-04-11, 15:14
Hi

Thank you for your replies.

Expecto patronum - thanks for your kind words and help, you are right when you say about being able to laugh about it and not taking it too seriously, as you also said I do worry about it happening again, I will try to remember your advice as I think I am working on reception tomorrow, thanks again and take care.

Tina - thanks for sharing your experience as it helps knowing its not just me, although my boss is nicer than yours he knows I have made a few mistakes lately and I worry about being called to his office. Its a small department and everyone seems to know everything that goes on, so I worry about that too. I'm sorry you have been signed off work because of your anxiety and how your boss is acting towards you. Good luck when you do go back to work I hope its easier for you. Take care.

Anna

Tyke
18-04-11, 04:19
Hi Anna

I often have trouble with my concentration at work. I do find it easier with jobs I am more familiar with as on days I am not so good I find it easier to remember things that I know more firmly. I think it is harder in a new position, lack of usual routines means more concentration is demanded, but avoiding doing reception would probably make it harder to do in the future as you may well turn it into something you worry more about.

Try not to be too much of a perfectionist and remember everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure the more you do reception and become more familiar with it, the easier it will become. I have done this kind of work myself and it can be very demanding - instant answers required, unhappy customers, never knowing what urgent enquiry is going to happen next etc. it isn't easy. Try and be pleased that you are managing to do it and congratulate yourself on the achievement. Doing a job that involves regular contact with people will be good for your social anxiety so it is well worth persevering with it.

Tyke

deangraziosi
23-04-11, 05:04
When we work together just one person's negative energy lead the whole group to downwards. So it is very necessary that we choose a strong mind person as a team leader.

H_87
27-04-11, 09:40
I certainly find it bloody hard to concentrate a lot of the time, especially as part of my job involves 'helping' other people working here, and my social anxiety often kicks in when I have to interact with people. When I'm in my office I will find myself sitting there listlessly, half concentrating on the task in hand, half sitting there feeling buried by the thoughts surrounding my depression. My boss is an understanding person, even though I haven't told him about what's going on with me and I don't think he's noticed anything. Maybe it's time I did.

sarahblonde32
27-04-11, 10:00
Concentration??!! whats that?? i live in a dream world and cannot concentrate for love nor money...
sarah

Anna C
27-04-11, 20:40
Hi

Thanks a lot for your replies its good to hear other people's experiences it makes me feel a bit better.

I suppose its best not to take things too seriously, its not the end of the world if you make a mistake, I just worry because I know there are people who think I am incompetent and worrying about it makes me worse.

Thanks again for your help.

Anna

Thistooshallpass
02-05-11, 00:01
My anxiety is always there lingering when I am at work so I do think at times I home in on my symptoms and forget what I am doing/don't concentrate. I am also quite clumsy though so I don't think this helps either!:blush: