PDA

View Full Version : Just started on citalopram

almo
04-04-11, 23:57
Hi, this is my first post. Started on 10mg citalopram three days ago for my anxiety and have lost my appetite and am now feeling shivery tonight – which is making me even more anxious. Doc said I should take 10mg daily for first week then two 10s daily after that. Is it normal to feel like this at the start?

Neef
05-04-11, 04:27
Hi almo! I also suffered from loss of appetite when I started taking citalopram almost 2 months ago. Don't worry about the shivvering too much, as that's normal. My first week was a nightmare but stick with it, because the horrible side effects do start to fade away.
If you haven't already, check out PsychoPoets Citalopram Survival Guide (it's a sticky so it's easy to find). It's full of information and will reassure you that everything is okay, which is very good if you're suffering from anxiety!

honeyp1e
05-04-11, 07:10
Hi, this is my first post. Started on 10mg citalopram three days ago for my anxiety and have lost my appetite and am now feeling shivery tonight – which is making me even more anxious. Doc said I should take 10mg daily for first week then two 10s daily after that. Is it normal to feel like this at the start?

Hi hope your feeling a bit better today ...
This is normal from taking citalopram the shivvering i hated but am still getting this now as i only been taking mine 8days now but last weekk i lost my appetite for about 2days so dont worry about its as this is normal stick with them x x

pinkdove
05-04-11, 08:34
hi Almo, hope you are feeling better today, everything you are feeling is completely normal when starting citalopram, but it WILL get easier, please stick with it, it is so difficult for the first few weeks, but the benefits you will get will be so worth it. Keep telling yourself it is just the side effects, and they will go away. and good luck.:hugs:

Jemlou
05-04-11, 10:33
Completly normal! Dont give up tho - trust me, the first time i was put on it i was put straight onto 20mg which i believe is the normal starting dose and it made me feel so horrible and ill i stopped taking it and decided i could go it alone - no drugs required _ BIG MISTAKE, 4 moths later I ended up Feeling in such a state, I was a complete mess.

I went back to the doctor a sort while ago and was put on 10mg and even then i felt horrible especially the first day! my head was literally banging! every step i took made my head trob, i felt so sick......... doc gave me anti nausea tabs and i have been feeling much better after the initial starting - first few days completly suck tho! but take it from someone who knows stick with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we have ALL been there! xx

almo
05-04-11, 13:53
Thank you all so much for your help. Just been to my GP though and he has told me to stop it. Am currently on propranolol and short term low dose (2mg valium). He's referred me for counselling. Now wondering what best to do.