PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for a 56 year old?

looking4answers
06-04-11, 00:24
Lately my neck has been bothering me. I feel like there is a lump or knot behind my head when I lean it backwards although to the touch it feels ok except for a few rolls of flesh. It really seems to bother me a lot but I can't really find anything out of place. The weather has been rainy and hot and then cold and I'm not sure this Huss anything to do with this or the rest of my symptoms.

Lately I have been experincing a lot of what seems to be muscle cramps under my arms , back and side just from pulling on a water hose a little one day. My legs have been getting pains all over them mostly in the fronts of them, also my knees pop and feel as though they are going to fall out from under me at times. I really hat the muscle cramps and th thing with my neck... Is this pretty normal for a 56 year old. I mean is this something I can look forward to as I get even older? Anyone that experiences these things please sound in here so I'll know it's pretty normal.Thanks

Lizziesaurus
06-04-11, 17:16
I'm a long way from 56 but your neck/arms sound like your muscles are tense to me, I have a bad back but know them aches and pains. If you can see someone who does manipulation (I've forgotten the name!) basically the ones who crack your neck and back, also maybe get some heat on the areas to loosen the muscles.
My knees don't seem much better than yours, and I'm only 21!! If it's bothering you maybe see your doc?

suzy-sue
06-04-11, 17:22
Sounds like you are just a bit unfit and tense Michael .Treat YOURSELF to a session at the Osteopath or Chiropracter ,and have a good massage it will help you .Heat is good like Lizzie says for relaxing those tense muscles .Maybe take up swimming or something and get yourself a bit fitter ,slowly does it tho .T/c Sue x

looking4answers
06-04-11, 23:56
I'm scared of those people. I have heard horror stories about people that went to them to have something adjusted and dropped dead hours later... Something else please?

Lizziesaurus
07-04-11, 13:07
Maybe a good massage? Or yoga or something along them lines?

Zee
07-04-11, 14:32
Yes, muscle aches are quite normal in the 50's age group at least thats what my GP and physio told me.. Im not over keen on chiropractor but the Physio did help by identifying a couple of muscular problems and showing me exercises to help..and they did.

looking4answers
07-04-11, 16:40
Thanks....I started thinking of all the weird pains my mother used to tell me about when she was my age .... I think you are right. ... and it seems that exercise does make them feel better... Appreciate the input.Michael

Lizziesaurus
07-04-11, 22:04
Yes, muscle aches are quite normal in the 50's age group

Well my bodies about 30 years ahead of itself then :scared15::doh:

looking4answers
07-04-11, 22:37
I think that some people are just more prone to hurting earlier ...I suppose from the amount of physical stress they have put on there bodies I guess