PDA

View Full Version : Scared, Depressed and in Pain

southernbelle
06-04-11, 01:34
I do so well for a while, and then a single thought will creep in to begin the spriral. Now, I'm caught in one. I've been having pain in my left shoulder, arm and armpit. It burns, it aches and nothing seems to help. I go to the doctor this week, but in the meantime I've found myself feeling depressed because of the HA. No one around me seems to understand, and I can't blame them because I don't really understand, myself. I keep checking my lymph nodes (obsessively) and they're fine. I can't figure out the cause of the pain. It feels like it's in the joint or muscle...but then why the armpit pain, too? I just don't understand and it scares me. I'm afraid of the "c" word (like so many here)...soooo scared

PokerFace
06-04-11, 14:54
Muscles go under your armpit too, I had something similar when I hurt all of my left arm/shoulder.

Hopefully the doc will sort it out but in the meantime take some ibuprofen and see if it eases up any, that's really good for muscle/joint ache. Hot baths or hot water bottles on the area should help a bit too. Try not to get yourself too wound up (easier said than done I know) and try and distract yourself from catastrophising, you will be fine! :)

Let us know how the doctors visit goes, I'm sure you're right about it being joint/muscular. xx

southernbelle
07-04-11, 02:50
Thanks. I am heading in tomorrow afternoon. It's weird. My shoulder will stop hurting/burning and my muscle will hurt...then it'll jump back into my armpit being sore. I'm confusing myself. I have no idea what this doctor is going to say to this. He already thinks that I'm crazy (at least, I feel like I am when I'm talking to him). I want to be taken seriously. This pain is real that I'm feeling...now I just need my brain to not jump to the worst absolute thing & maybe I wouldn't check for lumps every hour for days....I think that I have HA and OCD...

PokerFace
07-04-11, 20:37
Yep you definatley sound like you have health anxiety but with the right help and support you CAN overcome it. Have you looked at any self help books? I have one for health anxiety and it helped me heaps.

Maybe it's worth mentioning it to your doctor too when you go, to see what options are available to you? It might do you the world of good :) xx

southernbelle
08-04-11, 15:05
:) I've been looking into going to counseling for a while & just need to figure out how much my insurance covers, who they cover, etc...My HA stems from my childhood, then complexed by PTSD after my son's birth. I developed severe post partum preeclampsia & stayed in the hospital for ten days avoiding a stroke, heart attack, heart failure and organ failure.

PS. it was tendonitis & should heal up at some point on it's own...in the meantime, pain medication when needed & rest that arm :D

Thank you for your support!

PokerFace
08-04-11, 16:06
Ohh that sounds very traumatic! :hugs:

Nice step forward checking out your counselling options though! :) Is definatley a step in the right direction and I hope you find something that suits you.

Glad your arm has been diagnosed, I bet that's a massive weight off! Keep resting the arm and you'll be fighting fit and ready to beat the anxiety in no time at all. xx

southernbelle
13-05-11, 04:13
Just wanted to do a quick update...after several weeks & some pain meds, along with resting the shoulder/arm it is totally pain free now! =0)

PokerFace
13-05-11, 08:52
Lovely to hear! :) x