PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Venlafaxine = Insomnia

Eternity
06-04-11, 02:30
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help or offer some advice.
I have been on citalopram for about two years for anxiety and PMDD. for the last few months I have been on 60mg and over the last month I have gradually changed over to venlafaxine (vensir xl slow release capsules) as the citalopram wasn't working very well anymore.
When I was on citalopram I never had any problems sleeping usually but for the last few weeks since changing I am having loads of problems getting to sleep. I wouldn't mind so much, but I have two kids (aged 14 and 16) and I work full time so this is really getting me down. It's now 2.30 am and I have a two hour journey at 7am for an all day meeting and I know I'll be exhausted. But here I am, wide awake, I could cry.
I'm really sorry if this is too long and boring anyone but I would be really grateful for any help or advice, or if anyone has had any similar experiences.
Thank you
Tina x

Lizziesaurus
06-04-11, 17:09
I was the other way round and citalopram kept me awake but venlefaxine (fingers crossed) is being ok with me at the moment. Because I work shifts though my sleepings not very good anyway and I asked today on boots if I can take nytol, and he said yes! Maybe try that? If that fails maybe ask your doctor if there's anything he could give you in the short term as I'm sure it's just a side effect.

kibbutz83
06-04-11, 19:57
Hi, I was just wondering what time of day you are taking the Venlafaxine? It's one that often needs to be taken in the morning as it can interfere with sleep.

Eternity
06-04-11, 21:56
Hi
thanks for your reply, I'm taking it in the morning and it's leaving me exhausted all day and then wide awake at night. I had two hours sleep last night, travelled two hours there and back for a meeting today and I should be exhausted. My body is but I can't relax and I just know it's going to be another night like that.

Lizziesaurus
06-04-11, 23:29
Why don't you try switching to taking them at night? It might then let you feel drowsy at night then awake in the day.

Eternity
07-04-11, 23:30
Hi
thanks for the advice, I've taken it at night for the last two nights and slept not too bad last night and hopefully will sleep a bit better tonight, I'll keep you posted (that's if I haven't fallen asleep at my desk tomorrow and been locked in the office for the weekend lol).
Love
Tina xx