PDA

View Full Version : Night time Anxiety attack

thisgoesupto11
06-04-11, 11:49
Hi all,

Had a rather bad night last night. I was awoken at about 2am with a "heavy" type pain in my upper abdomen/chest. Throat felt tight and i felt like my lower chest area was being squeezed. I also felt my heart beat fast and loud in my head and i was feeling a bit breathless (although i checked and was able to take a full lung in).

This was all rather frightening but im thinking (hoping?) that it was an anxiety attack. I got up and walked around a bit, managed to get back to sleep.

I do suffer with reflux to some degree so popped some gaviscon.

Anyone have experiences similar with night time anxiety?

I should add ive also had some difficult family problems recently so ive been quite stressed out.

any help gratefully received!!:ohmy:

shoegal
06-04-11, 11:58
Hi. Yes, I have also woken up during the night with a racing heart and gasping for air. It's pretty common with anxiety. I tend to take a deep breath, turn over and go back to sleep! It happened to me every night for a few months after my partner moved out, but the attacks have stopped now. I think the best way to cope with them is by not being afraid of them. Just accept that it's anxiety, take a deep breath and go back to sleep. It works for me! :flowers:

Catalyst
06-04-11, 14:58
Did the gaviscon help? I only ask because I had a couple of episodes of night time panic attacks recently. It didn't feel like heartburn that had set it off, but when I described how I felt to my husband he said "sounds like heartburn, take some gaviscon". I dutifully took it and soon felt a bit better and was able to go back to sleep. I reasoned with myself the next day that it probably WAS heartburn I'd been experiencing, but in the middle of the night (especially when you've just woken up) nothing 'feels' quite like you think its meant to :shrug: (if that makes any sense at all?!!) What I mean is, its harder to rationalise things that may seem much more normal in the light of day. I think mine probably was heartburn initially, but because I started worrying, I triggered a horrid panic attack and felt way worse! Hope you get a better night tonight. :hugs:

thisgoesupto11
08-04-11, 16:14
Hi There, so sorry i havent replied earlier, i have been rushed off my feet with work and the little one!

im not sure whether the gaviscon did help, perhaps psychologically? I more inclined to think that it was a anxiety attack rather than reflux based as i hadnt felt that kind of pressure before. Thank you for your message tho, and i did indeed get a better nights sleep...mainly thanks to weightlifting!
:)

I hope your night issues have been resolved also!

cheers

scaredstiff695
08-04-11, 17:37
hi ive been having these alot to the point im scared of sleepimng cos they got so bad, sound identical hunni xx