PDA

View Full Version : Constant Tingling - is this HA?

PoppyP
06-04-11, 11:51
This is my first post so first of all I wanted to say thank you for the comfort and help this site has brought me over the past month.

In hindsight my Health Anxiety began about 8 years ago when I was signed off work with stress/anxiety due to me being bullyied by my then boss. I transferred this anxiety to my health and started googling various symptoms and conditions and then becoming obsessed looking for things wrong in my body, swollen glands etc. I guess I have been on and off like this for the last 8 years.

Over the past 4-6 weeks I have been experiencing tingling sensations firstly on my tongue and this then progressed to hands & feet, then to random places like my nose, back of neck etc. I can only feel them when I'm sitting or lying down (although they don't bother me when I'm sleeping). When I'm walking around or actively doing something I don't really feel them at all. Of course I stupidly googled these symptoms which made me extremely anxious. I have been to see a doctor three times since this started, the first said it was viral, the second anxiety and the third confirmed it could be viral with anxiety combined and that it will just take time to resolve. I had a blood test around 5 weeks ago and everything came back normal. I have also been to an alternative health practitioner for 'bio-feedback' which showed up that I had a flu virus which was affecting my nervous system - I have been back to see her a couple of times now and the flu virus has gone and things seem to be getting better from her point of view but I would have thought the tingles would have resolved by now if it was viral.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had these tingling sensations constantly for a period of time? I thought that if they were anxiety related they would come & go? How long in your experience does it take for them to go away? I will probably head back to the doctors next week if they haven't resolved.

Thanks for your help & sorry for such a long post!

AngelHeart
06-04-11, 12:56
This is definatly a sign of anxiety and I have suffered from it. I still do from time to time but beacause I now know its anxiety related and I more or less forget it and it goes away sooner. My was mainly on the tongue, jaw and throat and I use to think I was having an allergic reaction. Its also occured in my head, but not as often as the other places. When it was at its height it continued for weeks and it was n't until (unfortunatly) I focused on another symtom that was occuring did it disappear. This is what usually happens with me, I have a symptom that lasts for weeks until I get a new one. The fact that you dont have them when your asleep or busy points towards the fact that its not life threatening or anything sinister as it would continue no matter what the situation. Maybe you need to find more activities to do, maybe walking, swimming e.t.c. I know how hard it is though,most days I don't have the motivation but my kids and an evening job keep me occupied and busy. :hugs: to you and I hope these symtoms go away soon xxx

PoppyP
06-04-11, 13:38
Thanks so much for the reply and reassurance :) I just seem to have got myself into a viscious cycle of needing reassurance that it is nothing sinister and then I feel a bit more positive for a few days and I think the tingling is getting better. But then I seem to start thinking negative thoughts again that it could be something serious and then the tingling gets worse again and I experience other symptoms such as cold chills and wretching like I need to be sick. As you say I need to try to find other things to do to keep occupied instead of sitting worrying. It's hard to find the motivation as it takes me all my energy to face work everyday and pretend that I feel okay to others around me. Hopefully things will keep improving over time. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. XxX

AngelHeart
06-04-11, 20:05
Your welcome hun. I know exactly how you are feeling and its like a vicious circle. I myself do the same, get reassurance and then I feel ok for a little while. Its so time consuming though. The one thing I don't do now though is hide my depression from people. I talk about it openly if the subject is brought up and I tell them that I excepted that I will never be cured, I have good days and bad days. This helps me alot with other people and also helps them understand me more and on the plus side its made others open up themselves about what they also go through or friends and family. I talk the talk most times becuase Ive been through it for years but I know i've also got to help myself and as I said its so very hard sometimes. I hope you find the strength to overcome it as it takes a big chunk out of your life . :hugs: again xxxx

j2
07-04-11, 03:34
So weird that I was just out here looking for info about a numb tongue and you guys instantly made me feel better. Thanks

sezios
07-04-11, 17:26
I have suffered from random tingling and numbness for many years. I don't think there is a part of my body that hasn't tingled or gone numb! BUT it still scares me. My GP says it is hyperventilating but I too get it when I don't even feel panicky. Right now it's in my mouth which is a new place actually. It feels like when you've had a filling and the numbness wears off. I don't think I'm panicking but I am very emotional now having had an operation just 4 weeks ago and having to have another one in another 4 weeks. I am absolutely terrified of surgery. Being a sufferer of HA, I'm convinced that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. So I suppose that is why I'm getting these tingling symptoms. I did have optic neuritis 25 years ago which can be a pre-cursor to MS so that is always at the back of my mind. GP has suggested an MRI once I have my next surgery out of the way. I regulary read posts on here to try and reassure myself I am not alone or going mad!