PDA

View Full Version : Low ferittin & anxiety

lelespears
06-04-11, 12:22
My levels are 27 (7-150) my dr said to supplement myself. I'm using Spatone but I don't think it's doing much. Anyone else get this? I seem to get worse after my period is this due to my iron being low after the period or all the hormones?

Lele x

PanchoGoz
06-04-11, 22:08
I have low iron too, mine went down to 11 last year, but I am not anaemic. I'm sure it is half the cause of my anxiety, or half the result, I'm not sure which! Did he not perscribe you iron specifically, and just told you to supplement yourself? If so, you should find in a chemists that they do iron, or iron and multivitimins which is better becuase the vitimins help the iron absorb. I went on ferrous glucosate (or something like that), but it hurt my stomach so I was changed to something else.
Iron levels do drop during a period and you would usually make up for it with eating more, but depending on diet/growth spurts it can cause the levels to drop. Afterall, periods are tiring!
You should feel better within a few days of taking iron.
Hope that helped...

lelespears
06-04-11, 22:35
Yeah that's Great Thanx, she said im still in range so supplement myself.. Even though I read somewhere it's should be above 60 to feel well. When I'm on my period I can't eat so it's a big vicious circle.

Lele x

deepreason
07-04-11, 00:53
Low iron levels can also contribute to depression so keep yourself topped up :)

I can't remember which ones, but certain foods help your body absorb iron more easily even if they don't have that high an iron content themselves.

lelespears
07-04-11, 11:05
Going to argue with my dr next wk I should be givin some to try! Using Spatone but it's not doing much. Don't know if my problems are ferritin, or hormones!

Lele x