PDA

View Full Version : Sinking into hypochondriasis

alwayspanic
06-04-11, 17:45
Hello everyone,

A quick google led me to this site, I've already glanced over some of the (very useful) advice but I really feel like I need reassurance.

It all started about 2 months ago when I was going through some very tough exams and generally freaking out a lot. I started focussing on the number of moles on my skin and became convinced that I had skin cancer. This kind of overreacting has happened before, I'm always told I worry too much and often a family member will be quick to dispel any fears. Needless to say, once the exams were over, I saw two doctors about this and was given the all-clear. (Co-incidentally, I passed my exams with flying colours!)

This time however, I'm living on my own, so there is no one who knows me well enough to know what's happening. My parents are in different countries and there's only so much they can do over the phone.

Now lately I'm focussing on this weird sensation in my tooth; I'm convinced I have something and am scared stiff of losing my tooth. It's not in any pain but just feels weird.. again this must be all in my head but I can never truly believe that.

What am I meant to do? I can't keep going through my life worrying about one illness after another, it's doing my head in! I just feel so stupid and keep putting myself down, like I'll never be truly healthy like other people. Please help me.

deepreason
07-04-11, 00:50
You mention that family can often talk you round and get you back to a more balanced place. This shows you are open to reason.
Have a look into finding a good therapist, someone who isn't just a good listener but is professionally skilled enough to help you make these feelings go away for ever!
There are good and there are average therapists out there, if you can try and either get a recommendation or try a couple out to see who impresses you. It's your life you're talking about so it's worth doing it right :)

Spongeballz
07-04-11, 01:07
You said you found this site through Google, fabulous, from now on let it be your Google :) Googling symptoms only leads to scary misdiagnosis, whereas people here on NMP talk sense and tell you straight. Your tooth? If you're going through exams I'm guessing you're below uni age, which probably means you're under 21, the age when your teeth normally set. This pain that Google may tell you is gum disease or some other tosh, I guarantee will just be your teeth moving, setting in place, possibly growing. Now that's not scary at all is it?? :)

No more googling, promise me!! :lac:
Sponge :)

boppers
07-04-11, 02:09
You said you found this site through Google, fabulous, from now on let it be your Google :) Googling symptoms only leads to scary misdiagnosis, whereas people here on NMP talk sense and tell you straight. Your tooth? If you're going through exams I'm guessing you're below uni age, which probably means you're under 21, the age when your teeth normally set. This pain that Google may tell you is gum disease or some other tosh, I guarantee will just be your teeth moving, setting in place, possibly growing. Now that's not scary at all is it?? :)

No more googling, promise me!! :lac:
Sponge :)

Please get off the Google! Spongeballz is right - the more time you spend looking stuff up, the worse you feel. Coming here will help you see that whatever you are feeling is probably just anxiety or some other totally normal body function. :)

alwayspanic
08-04-11, 17:15
Thank you for the kind replies! Unfortunately I caved just now and google the whole skin cancer thing again because of two assymetric moles on my shin (didn't think to ask the doctors to check those out) . Well that put me into a state.
It's so stupid! I can't keep doing this, I need to work harder to put these thoughts to rest. So would any UK members know how I can go about getting help from the NHS? I'm not going to let this take over me!

Martin Burridge
08-04-11, 22:16
Therapy (particularly CBT) will have teach you how to accept these thoughts and let them pass without acting on them. Its acting on them (googling in your case) that reinforces the negative thought. It is hard to break this cycle.

Unfortunately access to therapy is appaling in the UK. GPs will send you for CBT but only if you really push them and then the waiting list can be long. There are lots of private therapists around and the prices can be quite reasonable (some as low as £30 a session). Typically around 10 sessions of CBT for health anxiety but it may require more or less depending on the individual.

Good luck and try not to google. It makes it worse.