PDA

View Full Version : Hey! You are fine!

WILLIAMthedude
06-04-11, 23:07
I notice the majority of users on this board.

Been to your doctor? Been looked over? Been given the green-light to go?

Why keep stalling then.

Listen up...and listen good. It was 2008 and it hit me hard. I lost two stone, I looked pretty good with the I'd weight shed but this wasn't a positive time. I worried about my health to the Nth degree. I started to get symptoms and feel pains I'd never felt before. I got headaches on a daily basis, all kinds of sensations. I saw flashes and more floaters in my eyes. I noticed a pulsating sensation in my vision. I felt tired and dizzy, that I couldn't support my head on my shoulders. I had my self tested for A, B and C thoroughly... I was fine. Months past, I was fine. I lived the life of a terminal patient (with depression). Wasting my time on some silly notion. Realizing my mortality, human fragility and championing it above everything else. No way to live.

I got things back on track. Each year since 2008, I have had bad episodes lasting months. Recently it has been chest related. Pains, aches, pounding, racing, intense pain down left shoulder and arm, blood pressure concerns, skipped beats/ectopic beats, tingling in arms, really heavy sensation in extremities after heavy exercise. I had my self tested for A, B and C. I was fine. Months past, I was fine. Again, I had wasted time perpetuating symptoms instead of feeling good.

I am 22 years old. I have spent thousands of pounds on tests and visits to the best neurologists and cardiologist money can buy. Wasn't worth it. Sure, I got peace of mind but I put a massive dent in my wallet.

It wasn't until therapy I realized that constantly going to seek professional advice was the problem. It feeds the addiction. It makes the fears all the more real.

You need to capture the thoughts that fill your mind when you feel the sensations. Acknowledge them for what they are - don't see it as worse than it is... and then gradually look at things as being better than they are.

Its an ache, an annoyance, a normal muscle ache, a very casual pain, you are tense... relax. Even as you begin to relax you will feel weird, lightness and dull aches will occur as you take things on board.

Take up some positive rituals. Buy a pedometer/stepometer - count how many steps you do a day and work toward 10,000.

Take a nice hot bath or shower all the more often.

Paint, have friends round, break the bad habits and gradually win it back for yourself.

All the best.

nomorepanic
06-04-11, 23:31
I totally agree with you on this one.

No matter how many test and procedures you have if you have been told you have anxiety and there is nothing wrong then ACCEPT it and stop demanding more tests from your doctor.

It is a harmful cycle because you go to the doctor and ask for a test, they refer you so you think something must be wrong for them to refer you. You go for the test and then have to wait weeks for the results. All this time you worry and worry and post on here saying you know that you are dying and are just waiting for the results to confirm it.

The results come back and you are fine - nothing is wrong. Phew you are relieved, you post on here saying that you are fine.

A week passes and you get a sudden twinge or ache or something "new" crops up. Back to the doctor you go and tell them you need more tests cos there is something wrong.

Doctor reluctantly refers you for more tests. The cycle begins again...... and goes on and on and on.

Then one day you go to the doctor and he says "no I am not giving you anymore tests". He reassures you it is anxiety. Well now you are in uproar over this and again post on here and share your dismay that your doctor won't refer you again.

Someone suggests insisting on the tests, changing doctor's or paying to go private for that test you so need/crave.

You do this and it all comes back clear again.

Can you see where I am going with this one.

I see it on here every day with some members and whilst I do feel for them I want them to realise the damage it is doing.

You HAVE to break the cycle and accept that anxiety can cause all of the symptoms you have and if you have been given the all clear by the doctor and told it is anxiety then accept it and move on with your life.

The amount of time people can waste worrying about their lives rather than living them really infuriates me and I want to shake people and tell them to get out there and live and stop checking, poking, prodding and above all googling.

That is my two-penneth anyway

macc noodle
06-04-11, 23:44
Whilst I agree with the sentiment and can wholeheartedly embrace the ethos you are proposing whilst feeling reasonably balanced and at one with myself, it is another proposition altogether when you are in the midst of an attack of HA.

I am not one of those sufferers who constantly visit the doc. for reassurance and for tests (because I suffer really badly with fear of docs/hospitals/tests etc) but I do suffer from HA and am always scared that I am dying from x,y, or z.

The balanced part of me really knows that I am fine, but then this tiny little voice says what if? and off we go on the merry-go-round one more time. I am sure that I am not alone in this.

Some sufferers just take longer than others to get to a place where they can be as strong as you guys - so be patient with them and continue to support them - the very fact that you can testify to having beaten it, gives hope to others.

:yesyes:

nomorepanic
06-04-11, 23:51
I have never suffered with HA.

I am researching it to help people on here so what I am writing is based mostly on theory written in a very good book and partly from how I see it.

I am trying to tell people that life is precious (I have good personal reasons for saying this) and why waste time on so many tests - a lot of which are scarey and invasive.

Some people never get there Mac that is the problem and they need to get help for this. CBT is the recommended treatment for HA sufferers.

I also sell an easy to read book in the online shop (very cheap) and provide free leaflets from the NHS to read about HA so I am offering all I can to help people but people have to take that step and help themselves.

KK77
06-04-11, 23:53

Why keep stalling then.

Listen up...and listen good. It was 2008 and it hit me hard. I lost two stone, I looked pretty good with the I'd weight shed but this wasn't a positive time. I worried about my health to the Nth degree. I started to get symptoms and feel pains I'd never felt before. I got headaches on a daily basis, all kinds of sensations. I saw flashes and more floaters in my eyes. I noticed a pulsating sensation in my vision. I felt tired and dizzy, that I couldn't support my head on my shoulders. I had my self tested for A, B and C thoroughly... I was fine. Months past, I was fine. I lived the life of a terminal patient (with depression). Wasting my time on some silly notion. Realizing my mortality, human fragility and championing it above everything else. No way to live.

I got things back on track. Each year since 2008, I have had bad episodes lasting months. Recently it has been chest related. Pains, aches, pounding, racing, intense pain down left shoulder and arm, blood pressure concerns, skipped beats/ectopic beats, tingling in arms, really heavy sensation in extremities after heavy exercise. I had my self tested for A, B and C. I was fine. Months past, I was fine. Again, I had wasted time perpetuating symptoms instead of feeling good.

I am 22 years old. I have spent thousands of pounds on tests and visits to the best neurologists and cardiologist money can buy. Wasn't worth it. Sure, I got peace of mind but I put a massive dent in my wallet.

It wasn't until therapy I realized that constantly going to seek professional advice was the problem. It feeds the addiction. It makes the fears all the more real.

You need to capture the thoughts that fill your mind when you feel the sensations. Acknowledge them for what they are - don't see it as worse than it is... and then gradually look at things as being better than they are.

Its an ache, an annoyance, a normal muscle ache, a very casual pain, you are tense... relax. Even as you begin to relax you will feel weird, lightness and dull aches will occur as you take things on board.

Take up some positive rituals. Buy a pedometer/stepometer - count how many steps you do a day and work toward 10,000.

Paint, have friends round, break the bad habits and gradually win it back for yourself.

All the best.

Whilst I agree with the essence of what you say, I think the way you put it is very militant, pull-yourself-together and abrasive. It's a shame because your message is a positive one and I hope members can see beyond the language you use.

Saying 'Listen up, and listen good' isn't the best approach to take.

nomorepanic
06-04-11, 23:54
That is just a saying Mel - it is not militant or abrasive

KK77
07-04-11, 00:01
Came across that way to me.

We say this to members all the time, albeit using a different tact.

If I was in the grip of HA - which I have been in the past - this post would just piss me off.

nomorepanic
07-04-11, 00:05
In that case then I guess you are saying my post will just piss people off as well then.

Let's just be patronising to people on here then and say "there there it will be ok"

I give up.

KK77
07-04-11, 00:09
No, I was referring to The Dude's post. It's just my impression Nic.

daybyday
07-04-11, 00:23
Thank you William. Challenging and encouraging. At times we need one or the other and sometimes both.

scaredstiff695
07-04-11, 00:29
ok as a ha suffer i dont take offence.....i dont go to docs askjing fir tests i HAVE NEVER EVER EVER had any tests done unless it was for something i.ee blood tests when i was going through bad health pstch with womens ptroblems or pregbancy.

i do however rinfg docs to heklp me out of panic attacks whebn they are severe. and i do go to docs for help liike latley when im suffering abd panics everynight that im unable to calm myself down from.

but im met with negative attitude when i cant understand why????
im a patient suffering badly to the point im losing my ability to function with a normal life.

ive been offered ambulances when panicing and turned them down all the time instead asking just to help my panic attack sdubside..

so i believ your right its about excepting we have ha but we do gfet stuvk oin ruts with ha and i do think your docyttors giving you tests to start with is wrong.

i.e. i alwasy head ha never anything else.

the stigma with ha is bad though when i got bronchitits at mew year i went three times telling them something was wrong and wwas sent wway untill eventually they listened to my chest and my cough and realised i was soo bad they kept syaing my bretahing was nxiety but i no the difference.

stigma is bad and not fair so dont compare all ha the same

Spongeballz
07-04-11, 01:14
William, your post was great :) I think sometimes it's easy to lose touch with reality and logic, and panic sets in. NMP will always help to fetch people out of the ruts, though at the end of the day, it's down to the individual to rescue themselves.

Greenman50
07-04-11, 06:45

Why keep stalling then.

All the best.

Hey Dude

Thanks for the post .
Just the kick up the backside i needed this morning.
I was going to post in the health anxiety section today about morning sweats and a cough . I can,t be bothered now , its probably just because i,m haveing trouble sleeping at the moment and i,ve been sat hear drinking tea for the last hour and thinking to much .
So to rationlise things , i,m sweating , got earache and a cough ... its a bug because i,m run down , simple as that .
Or i,m just a sweaty old git with a cough !
I,d been great for months aswell .
I,m off for that shower now , its going to be another glorious day again today and i,m going to make dam sure i enjoy it .

Everyone have a good day :D

macc noodle
07-04-11, 07:29
Mel 2 - I am with you all the way on enjoying the day - bring it on!!!!!

Jan
x

allergyphobia
07-04-11, 12:38
I think this thread raises some very interesting points. I kinda feel like HA is the strand of anxiety that annoys and frustrates a lot of people in "real" life and on this forum.. i too have had that feeling where you just want to say ARGGHH you are fine, go out and live!

What interests me, is why do we have this attitude to the health anxious? I know, i have never read an agoraphobics story, and thought...hmmm... just go outside!? Is it because, we are annoyed at the cost to the NHS, or because we don't feel these people are trying hard to get better, or what...?

Just interested in people's opinions on this one, as I think sometimes we go on about how we "pander" to these people with HA... but in my opinion, I don't *often* read a reply to a HA sufferer that isn't constructive, and telling them to get CBT (not that it often has an affect on the sufferer, of course!)

What do you think?

Earthworm
07-04-11, 13:03
Great thread & as a h/a sufferer I can truly see both sides to the argument and whilst we should in no way ever dismiss peoples feelings and worries because as we all know that to that person suffering they are very real indeed ... However ...

This was just what I needed to hear William so THANK YOU (I believe it was meant in the right way and that's the way I took it). Yes sometimes we need an arm round the shoulder but sometimes we also need a kick up the rear too. Time spent worrying is wasted time, wasted life, time that could be spent so much more productively or with loved ones.

I make myself so mad when I think how much of my adult life I have wasted on this damn anxiety, hours, days, months & years. I had my first palps and chest pains 14 years ago and guess what, I'm still here, alive and kicking and last month I ran a half marathon for gods sake so there can't be that much wrong with me can there. If there was, surely it would have happened by now (cue thunderbolt):)

This site is absolutely fantastic and it has saved me on numerous occasions (and no doubt will do so in the future too) & I will never take anything away form it ... BUT it can be self feeding if you let it. The best thing for anxiety is to forget it and it WILL go away!

Would love to stay and chat but the sun is shining and I have a life to live ...

looking4answers
07-04-11, 16:54
Like your post... where were you when I was young and the doctors were telling me there was nothing wrong with me lol

Hazel B
07-04-11, 16:56
The best thing I did for myself was to accept I had anxiety when my GP wrote it on my fit note for work. It wasn't easy but helped me learn how to fight back and get well.

I could still be in denial today 6 months later; not sleeping, losing weight, racing heart etc. but accepting my problem was a huge breakthrough.

Greenman50
07-04-11, 17:38
Do you know what , i had no cough , no earache and no sweats all day today :D
But......that dam globus feeling and swallowing issue is back again as soon as i got in from work :blush::wacko:
I,m sure i bring it on myself , it was nearly gone for two days and i thought i had it beat .

Note to self ......Ignore it .

Ahh well , apart from that it was a brillant day .

daisycake
07-04-11, 20:18
I agree - but having gone through experiences where a consultant, and four separate GPs, have told me I am abosultely healthy and fine - only to have another GP then discover that they have all misinterpreted my symptoms, and put it down to "neurotic worrying", when in fact it's a problem severe enough to require monthly monitoring with the afore mentioned consultant and a minor Op; I can't stress enough that if you feel something's not right, and if someone else agrees with you (my mum eventually agreed with me) keep arguing, and fighting - don't always let them fob you off with anxiety as it's not always the case.

I've never demanded a test though, I just go to my GP and let them do what they feel's best. I'm honest about symptoms but waited for my GP to offer me an ECG for palpitations (*and trust me, it took 3 GPs before that was ever offered), I was too scared to ask. The only time I've ever asked for something, was when I mentioned a 24 hr ECG - and was told it wasn't needed, which I deep down accept now as the answer - despite still getting ectopic beats, vertigo and chest pain when I exercise!

Health anxiety's awful though, it really is, and I empathise with anyone in the throes of it.

CBT doesn't work for everyone by the way - I've been pulled out of it after realising it was making me worse, and after my therapist said my issues were way too long lasting and complex for him to help me with - he could only help me function 9-5 Mon-Fri and nothing else...!

WILLIAMthedude
09-04-11, 01:40
I believe that most people with health anxiety do visit doctors a lot and will demand tests to rule out anything major. It's part of the condition.

Doctors would listen to me talk about the conditions I thought I had and ask if I am studying medicine as I would research extensively into the biology of an organ and list potential diseases. In one of my referrals my GP actually wrote that I was well versed in inter-cranial structures.

We find a degree of solace on here, discussing the feeling in our throat, the colour of our tongues, the sensation in our neck, the pain in our every-things. We enjoy the solidarity and it's part of the human condition. When I post I want people to feel the sincerity of my candor. With this thread I wanted to distract people from the routine of typing what is worrying them and instead offer them a view of something different. Do not confuse my passion with ignorance.

We are constantly negotiating our reality through our bodies. Trying different things, feeling different emotions, experiencing new things, avoiding old things, embracing this and that. This is what life is. Where we go wrong is when we stop living for the colour of life and start building a defense around ourselves to keep the world out. When we do this we stop moving forward, we back ourselves against a wall. Some of us don't even trust the wall will protect our backs and feel the world closing in from all sides, an exhausting experience.

We are afraid. Living in constant sorrow. We avoid saying "goodbye" for fear it'll be our last. We grow a contempt for the question "how are you?", if only we knew!

*We need to accept that self preservation is an instinct and not a life-style.*

Question your routine. Laugh at yourself in the mirror. You know you are stronger than this. You can take a punch so stop flinching.

Listen to this. When we see something sexy, when we have sex, when we kiss . . . how we feel? That's constructed by ourselves. There is nothing innately natural about it. If it were simply skin touching skin that caused our bodily reactions to such things then kissing a dog would be as passionate as kissing your ideal partner. So what sex is to us can be said to be reproduced through repetitive social conditioning of what is sexy. Some academics even believe that the orgasm is a mental fabrication. So this means that we embody what it is to be sexy, we learn from people around us, from our experiences that sex should be exciting and racy, passionate and induce sheer ecstasy.

Can you see how this applies to anxiety? You need to stop reproducing the unfounded fear. De-construct your anxiety.

We are all guilty of constructing our health anxiety, we embody it, make it a routine. We adopt breathing patterns that make us feel strange in certain situations or feel very scared, constantly anticipating the worst. Notice these thoughts flooding your mind. Notice how miserable it makes you feel. Notice how you carry yourself. How you interact with the world. It is not right. You know it.

Time to make a change.

First of all you need to approach change with inspiration. An artist doesn't wake up any day of the week to paint the masterpiece. You need to feel a strong desire to change. You need to take a walk on the beach, admire the sunset/rise, hear a beautiful song or be moved by a movie. Whatever it is for you.

Then you need to realise that you are not trapped in the state you are in. Nobody put you there but yourself. Accept that you carry this burden and that you truly have this awesome capacity for change. Believe it. You will overcome it. Smile about it. Revel in it. Just remember the onus is on you to have the courage and desire to make the positive changes.

See, you don't escape from this . . . because there is nothing to escape from. You drop the weight and walk toward whatever your courage and desire seeks out.

When people try to measure the road to recovery they are missing the point. When you get hurt. The wound takes time to heal but the scar takes just as long. It is when you acknowledge your anxiety problem and feel the desire to move forward that the wound heals. Then, as you move forward the scar will begin to fade.

My scar is still fading. I woke up this morning feeling tense and restless, my breathing got out of control and I shot up. My heart was pounding hard and fast. I grinned and thought nothing of it. I don't have time for this anymore. I applauded my negativity's efforts but allowed no bad thoughts into my mind. I simply got out of bed, clipped on the stepometer, continued my new routines and had a nice day.

Stay classy.

Note:- Personally, I believe sex is a beautiful thing to be shared between people as an expression of love and although social constructionists may provide rather disenchanting accounts of social interaction they don't necessarily rob meaning from what they're trying to explain.