PDA

View Full Version : Return to work - help needed

Whitehall1
07-04-11, 08:48
Hello - I really could do with some advice on what/how to tell an employer about your illness?

I was made redundant last Dec (after 12 years) and found a new job almost straight away, however, the new job was not suitable and tipped me over the edge. I was diagnosed in Feb as suffering with Anxiety which had I known in Jan that was why I felt so ill would have been a big help. I had to give up the new job as it was way too stessful especialy in the state I was in. I am now much better and am wanting to start to look for a new job, but am worried that once you list you have had anxiety an employer will bin you off. Have you any advice for me? I do not want to lie on a health declaration form and my doc says that anxiety triggered by redundncy is a common problem that employers should be familar with in the current economic climate.

Many thanks.

Adele
xxx :)

blueangel
07-04-11, 09:04
Hi Adele

Employers vary hugely in their attitudes to this sort of thing. My best advice on this is to be honest about what has been wrong if you're asked, but don't make too much of it - it's something in your life that has passed. Obviously, as mental health conditions become more common (and more reported) then employers are going to have to just deal with it as they're not going to be able to pick and choose for ever.

Bravedart
07-04-11, 11:28
Hey Adele

I work for an Organisation which follows employment Law to the letter and is also a very understanding Organisation as my work is in Mental Health. What I will say is this, when im interviewing this is what I must do.

1. It is against the law to ask for information re Health or look at a health questionaire before an interview is conducted. Its at the point of a job offer I'd look at your questionaire.
2. Id have a chat with you after the job offer re this and would ask you to sign a document allowing me to letter your GP/Health professional with a job description re the job you were being offered. This would request there views on the jobs suitability.
3. If your GP/Other Health proffesional was satisfied that they thought you were fit to do the job and you were also id start you, ensuring you had regular support and supervision throughout which is our organisations policy for everyone.
4. PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE EMPLOYERS OUT THERE WHO DO FLOUT EMPLOYMENT LAW AND HAVE A POOR ATTITUDE TOWARDS ANXIETY AND MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES.

Hope that makes sense and good luck. :D

Brave