PDA

View Full Version : Limerence - think I maybe suffering from it

GirlAfraid23
07-04-11, 13:26
Hi guys,
Well I haven't been here in a while but I think I might be suffering from what certain theories call "Limerence".

Quick definition:
The concept "of 'limerence' provides a particular carving up of the semantic domain of love"[/URL] and is an attempt at a scientific study into the nature of love. Limerence is considered as a cognitive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence#cite_note-3) and emotional state of being emotionally attached or even obsessed with another person, typically experienced involuntarily and characterized by a strong desire for reciprocation of one's feelings - a near-obsessive form of romantic love (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_%28love%29).[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence#cite_note-5"] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence#cite_note-time-4)"

Ok, so this is what I think I may be suffering from. It is gradually driving me insane. First of all, to begin the story, I'll have to tell you all about my "Limerent object". I met him at University 3 years ago now, when we first met he had a girlfriend and I was already in a relationship (with one of his best mates strangely) and this is how we met.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we had so much in common that it was very odd, we had exactly the same taste in music, had the same interests, enjoyed talking about the same things, literally as cheesy and cliched as it sounds we thought the same things at the same time.

I then broke up with that boyfriend (his best mate) and I became very depressed and forlorn as I wasn't enjoying where I was living at uni at the time and the only person who was there to comfort me was the limerent object who I will now refer to as L.O.

We met up reguarly and he was the only person who kept me sane, we spoke every night either over the internet or by text message and he almost became the last person I spoke to before I went to bed and the first person I spoke to when I woke up.

It went on like this for a few months, even over christmas time, when I was back home for the holidays, I spoke to him everyday.

His best friend was obviously still his priority but he did spend alot of time with me and often chose me over him which I found odd at the time. We helped each other through difficult times and after christmas, this turned into something I couldnt live without but at the time I didn't see it as clearly. One night, we ended up kissing after a very close night together, we were quite tipsy and out with friends but it just felt right. After this, I told him how I felt as I knew it was the right time in such a passionate moment. He told me he still loved his ex girlfriend who he had alot of history with but she had cheated on him and wasn't especially interested. I was horrified and heart broken but we continued speaking, a few weeks later, the kissing happened again and this time he came back to my flat and we sat up talking until the early hours, we even shared a bed. That was it for me. I was entirely in love with him.

He made it clear he didn't want anything more because he wanted the other girl, I then proceeded to mend my broken heart and met my current boyfriend whom I have been with for two years.
I saw the L.O. a few times after we left university and I ended up crying one night, in front of my boyfriend and the L.O. but nobody knew why, its my little secret. The L.O. however told me a few times after it didn't work out with the girl he had chased instead of me, that he had been thinking of how it would have been if we had got together after all. I was with my boyfriend at the time and couldn't even comprehend the idea because I didn't want to cheat on him, but the L.O. just saying this, re-lit a fire inside me and I carried on correspondence for another year. Which takes us up to today, we don't speak anymore because of an argument that ensued a few months ago. Ever since then, I haven't been able to forget about him, I feel as though we are soulmates but I know it would never work because my friends dont like him, his best mate is my ex boyfriend, and worst of all, I am still with my boyfriend of two years ago.

I feel I may be suffering from limerence, the description fits me perfectly and I don't know what to do about it. I often find myself searching his name on social networking sites just to see what he is doing and in my most insane moments, have almost planned a trip to his home town in the small chance that I might see him or bump into him.

I had a dream a few days ago and it has stayed with me for this whole time when usually I forget them within a few hours. I am planning a trip to our university town this weekend just in case he is out and about. I haven't seen him in a year and I feel insane.
Please help. My anxiety has ruined enough things in my life. I can't let it ruin what is left of my sanity. I need to know whether to contact him and just tell him how I feel. Or to just forget about it....

GirlAfraid23
07-04-11, 20:59
Can anyone help?

shoegal
08-04-11, 03:55
Why on earth do you think you are 'suffering' from limerence? It's just psycho-babble for love/romance/sex anyway!

It sounds to me as though you have unfinished business with L.O. It's perfectly normal to feel like this about a person, although hardly fair when you have a boyfriend. I think most importantly you need to decide how you feel about your current boyfriend. If he's not the one and you're constantly seeking the affection of another, then let him go. You will never be happy and you're not being fair to him. On the other hand, if he does make you happy then make the decision to stay with him and cut all contact with L.O. And this time make it permanent.

If your current boyfriend is not the one, then leave him. You will meet other men who may in time turn out to be the one, plus you will be free to pursue L.O. if you desire. I think perhaps you need to have a relationship with L.O. to get him out of your system (no matter how it turns out) because then you will know the answer once and for all. I have been in a similar situation myself, but I considered my feelings to be a crush/love/infatuation and not a disorder! It's normal to feel this way about the object of your affection... as long as you don't start stalking him! :winks:

*I forgot to point out that you actually said this about your current boyfriend "and worst of all, I am still with my boyfriend of two years ago"! This statement says it all. Do you think you're being fair to him? You're not really giving him much respect are you?

Typer
08-04-11, 11:49
I'm curious to know what you and L.O argued about to the point where you no longer speak.

I agree, it seems you haven't had closure but not knowing why you argued makes me unsure why not.

You seem in a muddle, as though you love your current boyfriend but, L.O incites feelings in you that feel beyond your control. I agree with shoegirl...perhaps it would be wise to finish with your current boyfriend first and then make your decisions from a single perspective. On the other hand, could it be that the impossibility of the situation makes it feel more intense (does that make sense).

Sometimes the fantasy of how things COULD be, make them seem so much more romantic. The reality of an every day relationship with L.O may be very different than how you imagine when you think about him.

If after everything, you still feel as you describe "Obsessed" then you may like to read this book:

Obsessive Love - When it Hurts Too Much to Let Go (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Obsessive-Love-When-Hurts-Much/dp/0553381423)

by Susan Forward

You can read the customer reviews by checking out the link above to amazon

Luna
08-04-11, 21:09
I think you've got some good advice from Shoegirl and Typer. I agree it does sound like old fashioned Romance and sex.

I also think you're being unfair to your boyfriend. I've been with my husband for 15 years. That's plenty of time for complications of the heart. Whenever I've thought about / fantasied about what it would be like to be with someone other than my husband it's been when I'm at my lowest. When I'm really depressed I'll have fantasies about starting again with someone I'm attracted too. On next level of depression my fantasy is just getting on a bus and making a new identity.

Perhaps your current unhappiness with your boyfriend is more related to your unhappiness than your boyfriend?

I believe you can love more than one person at a time but you can only choose one. So loving L.O. doesn't mean you don't love your boyfriend, but you do have to make a choice.

harasgenster
09-04-11, 00:52
I left this site all of ten days ago (I'm so non-committal) but I was milling around reading posts because I can't sleep and just couldn't hold myself back from this one.

Right. Here's what I think:

Agree with the above posters that there is no reason to give this a label like Limerence.

Must disagree with above posters on the idea that this is love. This is not love, or not in its ordinary sense. The friends I have who are happy with themselves and happy with their lives can let go when people they love leave. If you can't let go, you are looking at things the wrong way. The problem is not that you are in love with L.O. but that you have created certain rules that don't suit this situation.

You mention the word soulmate. No such thing. There is no "one" or star-crossed lovers, and if there was, they wouldn't fool around with you while they were in love with someone else. If you go around believing in ideals and Hollywood-style romance then you will be bitterly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong there. I'm not suggesting you are naive. The problem is that you believe in soulmates. You are fantasising that you can have a better life with L.O. or that it was "meant to be". You are obsessing about him. I have obsessed about men before, but only when I was deeply unhappy, and I actually know exactly how you feel. I planned trips to their home town in case I might just bump into them (although I never actually did it!) I didn't love them, though. I thought I did, but I just wanted to escape. I was in pain and I thought it would make me feel better. I also believed that a man I had lost was a "soulmate" or the only one for me, but really, the more you believe this myth, the more unhappy you will be. There are many people for you and you will meet a lot of them. If you think in terms of soulmates you will feel under pressure to make things work, and then you won't be able to let them go when or if they leave. It's really important that you can let people go, because the only person this is hurting is you.

This isn't a choice between L.O. and your bf. Don't chase L.O. He didn't treat you properly the first time and he hasn't changed. When it comes to moral decisions (and he sounds consistently selfish), people rarely do. The choice is between being with your bf or being single for a while. Do you love bf? If you don't, then leave. The fact you are thinking of L.O. suggests that you are unhappy and want to escape. What do you want to escape from? That's what you want to focus on.

The problem is how you feel about yourself and relationships. If you don't love your bf then I strongly suggest you just try to be alone. Learn to be single and be happy without a bf and without being in love. Loving someone to obsession isn't romantic, except if it's a few months of having a crush on someone you see regularly - that would be totally normal.

Right, I'm tired, that was a confusing post. Here's the gist of it.

Happy people don't want to go out with people they argue with or who haven't treated them well in the past. Unhappy people forgive those who haven't been good to them and who they have fallen out with, even to the point of obsession, because they think it will change the way they feel.

There.

I'm going to try and sleep now!

shoegal
09-04-11, 01:51
Hello Harasgenster. I wondered how long it would be before you came back! :emot-wave:

OK. I kind of agree AND disagree with Harasgenster about finding your 'soulmate' or 'the one'. I think when you find someone you connect with on a deeper level to anyone else, it would be reasonable to consider them your soulmate. I think there are probably lots of potential partners out there who could be one of many 'the ones', but of course you have to find them, and that's the difficult bit! I have had a few long term partners and at the time I suppose I thought they might be the one, but of course the relationships didn't work out so I know now they weren't! If I find someone who I truly connect with, who's in it for the long haul, then maybe, just maybe I'll have found my soulmate. :D

I think what I'm really saying is when you find someone you are truly happy and content with, it's perfectly OK to think of them as your soulmate. That's not to say that you could never be happy with anybody else if it all goes wrong though...

Typer
09-04-11, 22:26
Like the things you say Shoegal. Soul Mate is just a shortened version or term to explain a feeling that is shared between two people.

I do question why love = pain for some - but it is kind of pushed down our throats from an early age. The media, films, love songs etc....often about pain, lost loves etc. Love never runs smoothly and all that.

Great philosophers have attempted to define love...literature, poems, lyrics etc, etc, attempt to define love. But so far, its connotations reach out so far that as of yet, the feeling seems undefinable and is very personal to each person. If someone says they are in love - from their perspective they are and its not for us to tell anyone what they are feeling or name it or even un-name it. In this instance, it feels like soul mates.

As before, I would recommend the book as above

harasgenster
10-04-11, 01:03
I see that "soulmates" can be a term used by some to suggest just being compatible/in a good relationship but I suppose I've only ever used it in an idealised way, like - "the one for me". I suppose I only ever see it used in an "unrequited love" way, which is never helpful to anyone.

But then, perhaps my entire opinion is marked with my own skewed thoughts. I do have a totally different, and far less romantic, opinion of love compared with most people. My own cynicism (and, I'm afraid, my unwarranted impatience with those less hardened against it!) is not actually very much help to anyone! Except if it can serve as a counterpoint, perhaps.

Hope everything goes well, GirlAfraid.

Typer
10-04-11, 12:49
I see that "soulmates" can be a term used by some to suggest just being compatible/in a good relationship but I suppose I've only ever used it in an idealised way, like - "the one for me". I suppose I only ever see it used in an "unrequited love" way, which is never helpful to anyone.

But then, perhaps my entire opinion is marked with my own skewed thoughts. I do have a totally different, and far less romantic, opinion of love compared with most people. My own cynicism (and, I'm afraid, my unwarranted impatience with those less hardened against it!) is not actually very much help to anyone! Except if it can serve as a counterpoint, perhaps.

Hope everything goes well, GirlAfraid.

You are entitled to your view. I am also a cynic when it comes to love. I love my kids and it stops there. Sad but true. Lost the faith so long ago.

But its nice to know it lives on in others, and that people can feel deeply for others. It must make a person feel very alive....even pain helps us know we are alive.

Take care harasgenster