PDA

View Full Version : people with a phobia of being sick

ree
08-04-11, 19:41
hi everyone :D i have a server phobia of being sick (can't spell the name ) and was just wondering how you all cope and what if any medication you are on? my phobia really controlls most of my life i have had it 9 years i have an eating dissorder because of it (if i dont eat i cant be sick ) well thats what my brain tells me anyways , im on diazepam and was on chlorpromazine, but i had to come off that as i was pregnant,i have 2 children a girl who is 6 and a boy who is 4 months :D during my pregnancies i did eat i think something just took over but the min they were born it started again, i also have trouble with swallowing ( not sure if that is conected fear of choking) sorry i really did go off track it just feels so good to be able to talk to peeps who will understand
take care marie xxx

Rachel_123
08-04-11, 22:27
look down to the topic by h6 hun!! emetophobia :)

CrunchieBiscuit
14-04-11, 11:00
hi chick, i have this phobia too. i used to have it so sereverly that i was agoraphobic with it. about 6 months ago i started 20mg of fluoxetine prozac and cbt sessions. i never thought cbt would work for me but its started to unfold the reasons why i feel like i do and as a result im starting to leave the phobia behind. rational thinking is also a major part of therapy so u need to find some key words to tell urself when u think of ur phobia, like 'dont be daft its a natural body function, without it in some cases i would b even more ill' or 'well there are millions of ppl within this world without this phobia and are not frightened so i can just as easily feel that way too'. all these things together have helped me an awful lot.

p.s if you have an iphone or ipod touch there is an app called 'freedom from fears and phobias' its by darren marks, and its a hypnosis/ relaxation app that u can listen to before u fall asleep, even after one use ive found it magnificent and very helpful. if u dont have an ipod etc just google him an he has downloads available to help xx

blueangel
14-04-11, 11:39
I agree that CBT can be very helpful for phobias - although I really don't like being sick, I don't have a phobia of it so can deal with it if I absolutely have to. However, for years I had a phobia of dentists which really did affect my life badly, and as a consequence of it I spent literally years with toothache. A counsellor used CBT to get me through this and I'm absolutely fine with it. Honestly, if I can do it, anybody can!!!

Nozza.
16-04-11, 00:34
I've never been on a forum before, so I don't really know what I'm doing. I have a phobia of sick and am currently in cbt which I hope helps. I have had this phobia for about two years now and it does slowly take control of your life to a stage you can't do anything in fear or yourself or others being sick, I have avoidance behaviours which help but not much. I would be grateful if I could get in touch with anyone who has this phobia just to talk to about it as I have never spoke to anyone else with it, thankyouuu

maddy12345
02-05-11, 00:37
Hi, i think i suffer from emetophobia as well. I have not gone to the doctor to be diagnosed yet, however i have all the symptoms for it. It does take over your life. I can't go any where without the fear of being sick. I barely eat throughout the day because i'm afraid that i'll get sick.

RafflesGeorgiou
12-05-11, 22:32
I have emetophobia too. Firstly, you are not alone there are plenty of us out there. I have had CBT for 6 months and I don't feel it's helped at all, I haven't really connected with my counselor so maybe that's why???. I'm only 16 so I can't have medication what would be given to adults but I do take Cinnarizine 15mg. These pills aren't addictive and they are very good, although you may get a lil drowsiness now and again they work within 10 - 20 seconds. My attendance at school is around 60% and because I have constant nausea I'm slowly discovering agoraphobia which is holding me back at my most important part of my life. It sucks but I guess I'm just unlucky!!!!!!

Raffy xx

RafflesGeorgiou
12-05-11, 22:35
I have emetophobia too. Firstly, you are not alone there are plenty of us out there. I have had CBT for 6 months and I don't feel it's helped at all, I haven't really connected with my counselor so maybe that's why???. I'm only 16 so I can't have medication what would be given to adults but I do take Cinnarizine 15mg. These pills aren't addictive and they are very good, although you may get a lil drowsiness now and again they work within 10 - 20 seconds. My attendance at school is around 60% and because I have constant nausea I'm slowly discovering agoraphobia which is holding me back at my most important part of my life. It sucks but I guess I'm just unlucky!!!!!!

P.S the doctor said this is what he recommends to pregnant women to stop the nausea throughout pregnancy! :)
Raffy xx

elnussey
06-10-11, 16:34
I just wanted to thank the person that suggested an iphone/ipod app provided by hypnotherapist called Darren. I too have a fear of choking but mine doesn't relate to being sick, mine results from suffering from globus hystericus last year, and somehow my brain has been programmed to ignore the fact that the throat is an expandable muscle, and I havent eaten properly since. I was much worse last year, and I do eat now, but I don't enjoy eating the way I used to, as my brain is always waiting for that particular moment to happen. I've tried some free apps from the store but some are just rubbish, because they are free, and I didnt really want to pay for one in case it just wasnt suitable for me. I've read up on this one called Freedom and its for any type of phobia, so I really think this could help. For anyone with a fear, regardless of what it is, hypnotherapy is highly recommended as a cure, unfortunately it just costs alot of money per session.