PDA

View Full Version : The Metro

Bryn Powell
23-03-04, 19:53
I have lived in Madrid for two years and have avoided the Metro for that time. Today I have taken it twice and although I was quite uncomfortable, I survived it! Flush with my new found confidence I even went to a supermarket which I have also avoided in the past (my wife has always done it,) and I had no problems.
A few years ago (before my panic attacks started) my job entailed a lot of flying within Europe and I HATE flying.It wasn't so bad if I was on my own but if I was with colleagues it was terrible. I wondered what my colleagues thought when a usually affable and relaxed person turned into a grumpy, sweaty wreck, who gripped the armrests in terror! One day, myself and three colleagues flew to Milan, I was by the window, Julian in the middle and Chris my boss was in the aisle. We were all silent at take off and once in the air Julian said "God, I hate flying!" I mumbled "Me too." Then Chris said "I'm terrified." We all turned to look at each other and spent the rest of the flight discussing our fear and what made us nervous. It was so good to be able to talk to someone about the fear and that's what makes this site so good - talking to someone who understands!

Once again, thankyou[8D]

kate
23-03-04, 20:00
Hiya Bryn,

Well done on your successes today! Make sure you follow up with more challenges real soon!

Strange isn't it how we are always so worried about opening up about our fears?

But it is even stranger when we DO confide in people and we then find that they share the same fears or have different fears of their own that also worry them!

Anyway, keep posting, Bryn!

Kate x

Meg
23-03-04, 20:03
It's amazing how we do survive things we are sure will be the downfall of us even though millions of people do it everyday.

Good for you for stretching yourself today.

I used to have to take 5 planes to get to my nursing station in the North of Canada.

I disliked it intensely going out there as each plane got smaller. Started out on 747-400 from LHR and ended up on Bearskin Air with just me and the pilot in a single engined Cessna. It never stopped me going through...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
23-03-04, 20:15
Hi Bryn

You are very brave to fly - I avoid it at the moment. Must try it again, soon!

Glad to hear that you are doing so well though - keep it up.

Meg - are you mad - flying in a Cessna!! Now that is one thing you will not get me doing!!

Nicola

Meg
23-03-04, 20:34
Most of the time is was fine. Only way to get patients in and out of the reservation so did several flights a week .

I really didn't like the ones with very pregnant women in labour.. maybe thats where I learnt my avoidance technique - I always got out of it after the first 2 bad experiences ! lol
(Even though anxiety didn't start till over a decade later)

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...