PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good book?

Magic01
09-04-11, 18:35
Not sure if people are allowed to advertise books on here but can anyone recommend a good book which may help with anxiety/depression? I think my problems are health anxiety and depression due to chronic back pain. Would love to read something to make me feel more positive about these things whilst waiting for CBT?
Thanks

nervy-paul
09-04-11, 19:27
I have a few books on/related to depression, but have only dipped into them mostly. My suggestion would be: Sunbathing in the rain by Gwyneth Lewis. Not does it tell a story of depression from the inside, but also has helpful suggestions on things you can do to overcome it. You should be able to order it through your local library, all the best. Paul.

ditzygirl
09-04-11, 19:30
Go to Blurb.com and search The Pocket Guide to Panic - simple but your own personal guide to reassuring help - written by a friend of mine, another suffererx

heavenly
09-04-11, 20:24
Hi there, I suffer from anxiety and depression and I have a lovely book which was recommended to me on this site.

The Mindful Way Through Depression - Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302376971&sr=1-1

Have a look at the reviews, I can thoroughly recommend it.

UNLUCKY82
09-04-11, 21:41
another good option is the moodgym. google it...its an online CBT kind of thing. good luck. xx:)

blue moon
09-04-11, 22:43
I am reading Managing Stress.It interesting,Professor Terry Looker and Dr olga Gregson,it is UK book
Petra x:flowers:

Magic01
10-04-11, 21:15
Thanks all. Will give some of those a try.
x

sarahblonde32
12-04-11, 20:57
hi, i just bought a book called 'mood mapping', helps you chart your mood so you can spot it coming etc, helps me a bit as i have mood swings.
Not sure how old you are but i also read 'beautiful' by Katie Piper, the girl who was the victim of an acid attack and her recovery, was very inspring and put things into perspective for me, as what she went through was a real horror, made my problems seem so insignificant!!
sarah

annette1
13-04-11, 00:06
Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore & Dark nights of the Soul by Thomas Moore. Both available on Amazon

Eternity
13-04-11, 00:17
Hi, I think one of the books recommended on here is Self Help for Your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes. It's an excellent book with some very inspiring stories about people suffering with depression and anxiety. It has some great tips for overcoming anxiety in different situations which really work. I'd definitely recommend it.
Love
Tina x

blue moon
13-04-11, 02:12
another book is Feel the Fear and Beyond.Susan Jeffers:yesyes:
Petra :D

Alicat
13-04-11, 23:03
The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris M.D. It uses Minfulness but combines it with other, more practical methods. It's really good. There's a website that goes with it too http://www.thehappinesstrap.com/