PDA

View Full Version : What to do now?

scoobygirl2005
11-04-06, 22:48
Hi.

I have recently just come off some meds to treat my obesessive compulsive disorder. I came off it because it wasn't helping, I had only been on the tablets for a few months. I don't know what to do now? If the meds haven't helped and the cognitive behavioural therapy isn't really working either then what do I do? Got any advice?

Scooby2005.

nomorepanic
11-04-06, 22:52
Why isn't CBT working? Is it because you are not tuned into the therapst or you won't do what she/he suggests or something else?

Only you can do this and you have to WANT to as there is no miracle cure. If you want to get better then you will - trust me.
Nicola

scoobygirl2005
11-04-06, 22:58
Hi Nic.

I do what he suggests, but it still doesn't seem to work, because my compulsions just take over me and I can stop them I just find it really hard, because I have got so many other things going on in my life I just don't know what to do or to concentrate on! I have tried the meds and they didn't work and am trying CBT but it still doesn't seem to be working, talking about it helps but I find it very hard to stop the routines.

Scooby2005.

andrew
11-04-06, 23:24
hi scooby,

sometimes it justs takes a while, no matter how hard you try. do stick with the cbt and maybe try and find some more support. if talking helps, try and talk to more ppl.

try and stay positive, you can beat it, tc .. andrew

mum2four
14-04-06, 23:38
I was wondering what your obsession and ritual's are I have just dicovered I have OCD and I have been fighti ng my strange thinking since I was kid. I'm on 100mg luvox and for the most part my anxiety about my symptem has gone and I seem to be having to face the complusions and obsession more and more these day's rather the anxiety issues about my behaviour make me want to rock and tap to extreams and to scared to do move a millimetre or uter a single word till I felt safe again.

Are you able to notice when you repeat some thing or start you ritual's. I have been catching my self wanting to repeate something or do something again after I just did latly. When I catch my self I walk away but I'm worried I wont notice soon and wont beable to walk away cause as my fear of my symptems disapears I seem less able to notice the strange behaviour's. I have told my partner he has permission to stop me if he sees me repeating something or notivce that I'm cleaning something thats clean ect. I asked him to to try to distract me if he can despite the out come.

yesterday we made bacon and egg's together and the more thing's I saw him doing different to me the higher my anxiety got and the grumpier I got. I could handle seeing him do things his way I keep finding my self putting things away before thay have been used or even if I need it again. I finding my self wanting to screamed or blurt thing's out. I'm finding my self blurting things out before I think about if its the right thing to say. In the past there was no way I could have stayed in the kitchen while he cooking. If I did I could force my self to eat what he had cooked it made me feel sick just knowing he cooked it in a different manor to me. My partner got extreamly frusted with me and walked off on me and refused to eat with(he's still trying to understand OCD) I explain if I'm to get past my issues he need to bare with me I'm trying not get aggitated but I'm not going to be able to be perfect right away.

I have recently been talking to another person with OCD that we go bowling with. I start talking to her about my OCD and she keeped putting her thumb up and saying "thats me"and smiling at me. We had a good laugh about the strange thing we do. I think it's important to be able to laugh about you issues rather than take them so serious if thay are going serious injure you of worse than try to laugh about them when eva you can. The more you can accept your behaviour the easier I think you'll find it to get threwq them. You need people in your life that wont judge you because of you behaviour either and people that can try to joke along with you and try to gradualy help you reduce the amount of time you do some thing and how often. Have you looked up OCD on the web cause I have a number of site's that sugest that you first let she have the obsession and never fight it just go with it. Over time tell your self you'll think about that obsession later and came back to it later. In other words try to postpone the obsession or behaviour for as long as you can posible postpone. it. The other morning I noticed I have number issues I do things in set of 2 and 6 and I was out of bed at 4 am(strange for me) to make them lol. being up felt good getting out when I first thought about was good. As I was making the basket my anxiety level was rising the closer I got to 6 the worse I felt then I pushed my self to go to 9 but but I wanted to go to 12 even thoue I didn't think I needed 12. I stop on 9 and keeped wanting to do even though at 6 In wanted to stop. I wanted to line then evenly and refused to give in to makeing them kaotic just to test me out and I would normaly want to make sure the same sized chocolates and same amount of the same size are in each basket but I refused to let my self give in to that thought and the more I did the more I found it interesting I was laughing to start with but as the morning went on and the more I stopped my self on 3 or 1 the worse I felt. I ended up out the front of my house pacing till Im calmed down and felt safe to go back inside

scoobygirl2005
17-04-06, 18:56
Hi.

Sorry to hear you have it too, not nice is it. My ocd is about checking things, numbers, objects and repeating things and also balance. It really stresses me out, I went on some tablets but they didn't help they made it worse. How long have you had your ocd for?

Scooby2005.

mum2four
17-04-06, 21:48
I have OCD since I was young kids and it's been stedily getting a stronger hold on me with every major event in my life I became obesessed with trying to apear like I might be stealing after my sister got me introuble at 8y for stealing when we went to the shops together for our mum. I became obsessed with money and my budget and bill ect after I came close to bankruptsy about 8 year's in took 3 years to fully get everything payed off I refused to declar bankrupy eva. Even after we had money to spare and have fun with I was unable to have any sort of fun in fear of some how causeing my self to ga back in to serious money issues. Even after my partner got a excelent job with a the highest incom we eva had in our live at that time I was still unable to speand more than X amout of money on each item I knew I had to bye more food than I was cause I knew I had the money but I was so scared that if I did some unknown unexpected bill would jump up and bite me financialy and I would not beable to afford it and I would end up in court and would freak out while in court and I would get arrested and go insane basicly. My head is alway comeing to conclusion that what I eva I try to do will result eventualy in insanity. 3 year ago my nana died and I made the decicion to take control of my life better than eva I limited contack with everyone and everything that might cause me to obsess to a point of unable to function as a mother to my kids. recently I realised that I had not taken control at all I lost compleate control I become an agrophobic with out even realising it. I alway thought as long as I could walk out my front door Iwould never be an agrophobic when I discover the true meaning of agrophoboia I was so scared of what I had done that I knewe I had to find I way to get back in to world on a more normal level. I did a lot of research on the net lol and discovered that I had anxiety disorder symptoms but my head was still trying to make me bad about thinking I had anixety disorder. I couldn't stop obsessing aout but what if I dont have anxiey and I get in troble for getting treatment for anxiety and when I didnt have it. Like everything in my life I was afraid if I did the wrong thing I would get arrested and go insane. I keep looking and for some strange reason decide to look up OCD even thoe I knew I didnt have OCD the way the movies alway's show it. The more I reserched OCD the more I relealise I proberly had at least PURE O OCD I read that obsessing about some thing for at least hour a day could be concidered OCD and I was obsessing about things for hours to days to weeks to months even. Just before decided it was finaly time to come clean about my rocking and tapping and my thought that I wanted to bang my head so hard that I was scared that I would knock my self out and my cutting urges were getting extremly hard to ignore again and I had not self harmed in years. But when I did cut my self I was far to scared not to cut but far to scared to cut to deap as well I had to make my self blead and make it so I could explain the cut away if anyone was saw it not that I have eva been able to NOT tell the truth. I had secrets I can stand knowing something about some one with out telling them that someone was talking behind there back. The more people in m y life that were bracking the law the worse I felt and more I obsessed about the illegal act and I would get so worked us about it that I felt compelled to try to convince the person thay were doing the wrong thing and if that didn't work then I felt compelled to inform what eva place needed to be informed but I was far to scared to eva inform the police about drug's ect incase I was seen to be bracking the law as well and I might get arrested and of course go insane lol. No matter how much I tryed to over ride the thoughs that seem far to out there and just didn't really make sence in eye's of reality the worse the obsessing got. I have been treated for depression twice before and was too scared to tell the Dr about all my issues. I couldn't get my self out of bed for fear