PDA

View Full Version : Mom really freaked me out! Terrified! =(

Mark801
11-04-11, 04:18
Hey guys, hope all is well.

So I just got back home and I had laundry to fold. As I was going through my clothes, I decided to throw away some of my old clothes(socks, vests).

I then was packing out my closet and I saw a few shirts that I don't want anymore. So I decided to offer my dad if he wanted them. My parents were looking at me as if I was crazy.

When my dad stepped out to use the bathroom, my mom started asking me why am I cleaning out my closet all of a sudden. I told her that I just wanna get rid fo some old clothes so that I can buy some new ones. I'm always changing my look lol.

Anyways, then she completely freaked me out by saying that there's a myth that when people decide to clean out or give away their old clotes, it usually mean they're gonna die.:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

If I wasn't freaked out before, I certainly was after she said that. I mean how could my mom tell me that knowing I have anxiety issues. You guys have no idea how scared I am right now. It's 11pm right now in NY and I'm terrified to go to sleep and I have school tomorrow.:weep::weep::weep:

Please guys, I really need advice here. She was gonna give me an example but I stopped her before she could because she had already freaked me out.

Thanks again guys, your responses are greatly appreciated.

Mark

shoegal
11-04-11, 04:57
Hello. I think what your Mom said was tactless considering that you suffer from anxiety but I'm sure she didn't mean to frighten you. I think she was referring to an old superstition/omen which is nothing to worry about. You are not going to die and everything is fine. Please don't be scared and try to get some sleep. :flowers:

*To put your mind at rest I have just been googling superstitions/omens that foretell death and I haven't found any that involve getting rid of clothes. I'm quite interested in folklore and superstition so I'm sure if this superstition existed I would have found it by now. Please don't worry. Even if there was such a superstition it wouldn't mean anything anyway. They are just stories from the past, and they most definitely are not true.

daybyday
11-04-11, 05:21
Your mom is likely expressing out of superstitions that maybe she fears herself.
Cleaning your closet means just that. Out with what doesn't work for you anymore, and time for some new items.

macc noodle
11-04-11, 08:58
Well, we ladies are probably all in deep trouble hun - of course we have to sort out our old clothes otherwise there would be nowhere to put the new ones would there? Especially as you like to change your look.

It certainly sounds like an old wive's tale - but certainly not one I have heard of.

Don't worry - there is absolutely nothing in it - go buy yourself something cool to fill the space you have made :)

lizzie29
11-04-11, 10:30
You will be fine. I go through my clothes every few months sorting them out and getting rid of ones I don't wear, and I'm sure most people do! Please try not to worry about it, you'll be fine. Get some new clothes to cheer yourself up :)

teez
11-04-11, 11:26
lol parents ,,its a hard job raising them isnt it,,,if i died every time i cleaned out my cupboards of clothes id be a miricle woman,,when i had cancer i did it as a kinda re-inventing myself thing,,and im still here,,five years on thank goodness,,,just carry on but make sure you recycle though,,every thing can be used even old holey stuff,,make great dusters ,,i say go for it i love a good spring clean lol

AllInMyHead
11-04-11, 11:41
I've never heard that one before. I got rid of three large bags of clothes I didn't wear any more last summer, and I'm still here :).

And if you can't get the link between clearing out clothes and dying out of your head, look at it this way: you are going to die, we all are! But not until after many, many years of happy and healthy life ahead of us. :hugs:

lindor
11-04-11, 11:50
If that was the case I should have been dead years ago. It is just a superstition with no grounds. Think of all the people who give away clothes to charity shops or friends .
There'd be no population left if that were the case :)

miss_moose
11-04-11, 13:55
Sorry your so upset by what you mum said. I've never heard this as a superstition, just that when people have a terminal illness then they do things like have a big clear out, get their assets in order because they KNOW they won't be around for much longer (because they have a diagnosis by doctors etc), and nothing to do with any superstition.
Maybe this is what you mum meant? xx