PDA

View Full Version : The samaritans

Granny Primark
11-04-11, 12:17
Just curious how many people have found the samaritans helpful?
The last few months I have found them my saviour.(along with nmp)
I havent wanted to burdon my family and found that just a chat with them have made me feel so much calmer and made me realise that no im not going out of my mind.
They provide such an excellent service.

daisycake
11-04-11, 12:38
I phoned them once in a panic, they were really nice and very helpful. Have phoned twice since though and they were OK but not as brilliant... I found childline to be the same - phoned them once at age eight, whilst she calmed me down on the phone she never gave me any constructive advice. She did stop me crying... My friend works for Samaritans though and he's lovely, so anyone who gets him is very lucky indeed!

My GP said it's a hit and miss thing, especially considering you've got no chance of getting the same person - I emailed them once but gave up as I'd send an email, they'd reply with a bit of advice, I'd reply again - and the next reply would very obviously be from a different person as the advice would be totally different!

It is a fantastic service though and I can understand how it would work if you were in a real crisis.

Anxious_gal
11-04-11, 21:30
from what I have heard it is 50/50 depending on who picks up the phone.
they do not give advice , they only listen but again it does somewhat depend on who you get talking to .
I find aware good though. Just google AWARE and you should get the English or Irish link :)
they do support groups and email and phone support.

scaredstiff695
11-04-11, 21:32
they been my savoir in past two weeks too,

but have to agree all depends, i had two put phone down on me and one say can you please stop laughing when i wasnt,

but had some good ones that listen to me xx would reccpmend

NoPoet
11-04-11, 22:59
I generally found the Samaritans useful but if you call them a lot you will get some who aren't helpful. On the other hand I've spoken to some amazing individuals. I haven't called them for a while now and I am becoming able to help myself or spend time with friends and family, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if I needed to vent or seek reassurance that I couldn't get elsewhere.