PDA

View Full Version : Fear of flying (sort of)

bananarbabe
24-03-04, 00:00
Hi Everyone,

One of the issues I had prior to the start of my anxiety and pa's was the fear of flying. However, my fear of flying doesn't stop at the fear of me being on an airplane but also worrying of my family when they fly.

My sister flew here to visit me and she is flying back early tomorrow morning and I am nervous about her flying. I've been looking at other fear of flying websites and no one seems to have some suggestions as to how I can deal with this problem. Most people tell me to distract myself but I'm still worried.

Thanks,

Chris

stimpy
25-03-04, 11:15
I won't fly either.

I always think "everyone has got to die sometime, and wouldn't it be just my luck for it to happen to me on my first plane journey" and " If we was meant to fly god would have given us wings wouldn't he?" "The black box always survives, so why don't they make the planes out of the material the black box is made of "

Having said that, if god had of wanted us to drive he would have given us wheels, but I still go in the car ! - The stimpson rule of logic, there is no logic - lol

I forget what the satistics are, but flying is meant to be way safest form of travel.
Add human behaviour to the equation and that is when things become unpredictable.

With all the mad stuff going on in the world, it's not the aircraft we have concerns about, but the passengers using it. We know we are safe, but what about the person sitting 3 rows down, we don't know anything about them.

Because a phobia is not a rational process, facts and statistics do little to calm your fears.
Most people with phobias will try to avoid the objects or situations they fear in order to avoid the anxiety. - To use my husbands favourite expression "Avoidance is not the answer."

Most airline companies do a "Fear of Flying course". Many people find these useful and it means you all panic together, so you don't feel so silly. They teach you how to cope, how to distract yourself and how to boost your confidence.

Many people find the "Believe it, You'll achieve it!" school of thought useful.
To quote my starworker, and what she told me to do ...
Imagine yourself or a loved one taking the journey. Visualise it. If at any point during the visualisation you find it too distressing stop and go back to it later.
Make notes about it. What did you see? What did you imagine happening? Were most of the thoughts negative or positive ? In what way could you make the negatives more positive, imagine the good points of the journey. For Example it is way quicker than driving or taking a bus so you see your relatives sooner.

Distraction is the best form of coping, but you are right it doesn't stop you worrying.

Good luck

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric