PDA

View Full Version : Do you think

MidnightCalm
12-04-11, 16:21
I could take propranolol again?
I got prescribed them ages ago but stopped, i still have a pack and I want to take them again because my heart anxiety is getting to me, it's always beatiing fast and my blood pressure is a bit high, do you think I could start again for this?
I only got prescribed 1 a day so that's all I'll be having. Can't do me any harm to start again after a few months?

Lilyblue
15-04-11, 12:43
Hi, I was given this in 06, only took it when I needed it, had no side affects, I stopped them and then later I took some more, i had like a 9 month break then took some more, if the use by date is ok then im sure you could take them, I had to stop them altogether cos of lactose in them, I only took them when I knew id be anxious, took 1 every day for a week once,

Hazel B
15-04-11, 16:01
My GP prescribed them to me last year, I haven't had any since December now but I was told I could take them if I needed them again (when adrenalin rules my body, heart rate aceelerates etc.) according to the dosage. You should be OK to take them on the days you feel you need them. You could always book a phone call with your GP to check, mine do this service where you don't have to go in person, they phone you on a certain day am/pm.

Check the tablets are still in date before you take them again.

MidnightCalm
17-04-11, 20:16
Thank you two.
I think I will try one again tomorrow, I'm just getting frustrated with my fast heart rate and I know these beta blockers help to slow the heart and reduce blood pressure.x

Kells81
17-04-11, 20:34
Hiya, I agree with the other posts. I stopped taking mine about a month ago but my doctor told me that I could still take one as and when I need it. I would therefore be happy to take them again at anytime within the expiry date xx

Hazel B
17-04-11, 21:16
Hope you're OK Midnight Calm? Did you take a tablet?

I found that once Prop got my pulse rate down, I could help myself by learning to deep breathe, go out walking etc, all to calm me down and distract my anxiuos mind.

MidnightCalm
20-04-11, 13:14
YessI am okay :) Thankyou, it helped a bit, now, my next question: Can I drink on them :P ?

Hazel B
20-04-11, 17:48
I don't drink anymore, just checked my Prop leaflet and it states:

" You are advised to avoid alcohol whilst taking this medicine".

Not sure why, but the choice is yours: tablets or booze, not both!:D

elmarcos
23-04-11, 21:45
I drink on mine and have never had an issue. Just don't contemplate anything ridiculous like vodka red bull etc. Your heart will have to work harder than ever.

raychn2003
07-06-11, 15:14
Not to put a dampner on this, but I was advised alcohol should be avoided completely when you suffer anxiety/depression and such like. Yes it can be a quick fix relaxant (and I tend to have a couple to relax me if I am particularly anxious), but long term it can make matters worse, as it is a depressant drug.