PDA

View Full Version : Flu symptoms and extreme weakness, day 6 Escitalopram?

loops81
13-04-11, 15:37
Hi Guys

Is it normal to have such flu symptoms on day 6 of taking Escitalopram?

My b/f has just text me (he is in hospital) saying this can't be normal he can hardly get out of bed. He is so weak! :shrug:

Yesterday he said he had extreme social anxiety which is very hard when you are in a social environment :weep:

smb25
13-04-11, 17:09
Hi

I didn't suffer flu symptons, I had other side effects. Mainly nausea, loss of appetite, insomnia and increased anxiety. These passed after a while, some quicker than others. Everyone is different, I would say give the meds a week or so longer, They are a very good AD with better side effects than some others. It may be that these flu symptons are just that... flu. Rather than to do with the Escit??

The road to recovery is long and rocky but your b/f will start to feel better soon, it is still very early days. Read back on others posts and you will see.

Best wishes to you x and your fella x

loops81
13-04-11, 21:04
Thanks very much, I really appreciate it xxx

Anxious_gal
14-04-11, 13:24
flu symptons? no thats not good, not serious either, he will be ok x
I think the meds are just not right for him, I would be pretty sure the doctor will recommend that he changes to different ones. once the meds are out of his system he should be back to feeling normal. I think the meds might be too strong for him.

did his symptoms come on quickly or did they start of slow over a few days?
he's in the hospital so he will be looked after :hugs:

loops81
14-04-11, 13:28
Seen him last night, no flu symptoms then just very weak, a little unsteady on his feet. He is so worried about the fact that his social anxiety has got worse, he keeps asking me to take him home :(

I think they do suit him , he was so much worse on the last two a/d he tried anyway :)

I just keep saying, give the meds more time and then it will all be worth it :) (fingers crossed) xx

Anxious-in-Canada
14-04-11, 14:31
It is a diffficult process, but you are right he needs to give it more time. It took a long time for me and many other posting here.

Can he take some time off work? Get some rest and get through a couple more weeks?

I hope he starts to feel improvement soon...take care

haz
15-04-11, 22:15
Hi Guys

Is it normal to have such flu symptoms on day 6 of taking Escitalopram?

My b/f has just text me (he is in hospital) saying this can't be normal he can hardly get out of bed. He is so weak! :shrug:

Yesterday he said he had extreme social anxiety which is very hard when you are in a social environment :weep:

I had relatively few side effects with escitalopram. It is supposedly a "Cleaner" version of citalopram. Worst side effect was nausea and diarrohea. This improved over about two weeks. Also had initial insomnia. I never had any Flu symptoms. I'm just getting over the flu now though!

Out of all the a/d's I've taken, I would say this had the least side effects.

Anxious_gal
15-04-11, 22:56
what the doctors say was wrong?

loops81
15-04-11, 23:11
Nothing, just checked his temp and bp, said he was fine.

Anxious_gal
15-04-11, 23:54
oh well if his blood pressure and bp is good then its not Serotonin syndrome, I had a mild version of it once.
fast heart rate,shaking and a high temperature are the main symptoms.

well it's supposed to be cleanest of the of the lot, less side effects,
theres no proven difference in effectiveness between 10 and 2 mgs, but you may get more side effects on 20mg.
think the drugs only been around since 2006, so it's pretty new.

Do side effects lessen on this drug the longer you take it?

haz
16-04-11, 00:00
I started on 5mg whilst still taking low dose of seroxat. Then, stopped seroxat, up to 10mg (which is recommended dose for panic disorder). This was done in hospital though whilst under constants observation. My psychiatrist would not have done this in the community. After 4 months, became unwell again, so increased to 15mg, then decreased again to 10mg cos psych thought the 15mg was making me worse.

I was gutted it didn't work for me cos all the initial side effects completely wore off. I'm better suited to more sedating drugs like paroxetine and I'm now on sertraline.