PDA

View Full Version : breast fears

tillymint
13-04-11, 19:33
Sorry to bother you all. Am a new member. Went to GP last week with breast pain and she examined me and said it was o.k. I am mid 40's and have had this before intermittently.

Went back to her a few days later because I thought that I had felt something( sort of a ridge under right breast) in area which had been sore when she had pressed it. She said that it felt like normal breast tissue and not to worry, but because I'm mid cycle she has asked me to go back a week after next period am now going mad with worry. She said not to but why has ahe asked me to go back.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Sorry to go on

Janeeey
13-04-11, 20:08
I had something similar. Thought I felt a lump, out of hours GP thought nothing to worry about but said I should go to GP. GP said nothing at all, but because I was on my period to go back in 2 weeks. I go FRiday. I was (still am worrying lots) but she assured me that it was totally standard practice, that she was not worried but everyone single person that came into her office who though they had a lump would be asked back in 2 weeks.

I am in UK assume you are too. Don't worry - though I know how you feel! If she had felt a lump she would have just referred you there and then - that is what I keep telling myself and I know its true.

hard with HA though i know!!

happycamper
13-04-11, 21:35
Hi tillymint,

Welcome to the forum, hope it helps as much as it has done me.

Yup, had plenty of breast worries myself, intermittent breast pain, uncertainty about lumps, obsessive examining, especially since my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago. I'm in my early 40's and you can guarantee it seems almost every young (ish) woman to die it seems is due to breast cancer.

But I've turned a corner, for now at least...! Had a full clinical breast examination a year or so ago, the GP confirmed the lumpiness felt normal, ever since then I've felt much more confident in what I feel is as it was last month and previous to then. I'm trying to clinch onto the notion of breast awareness and changes to what is 'normal' for me.

Maybe try that approach, after you've been re-examined, use that as a baseline as to your 'norm' then you might feel more confident if things don't feel normal.

I like the CoppaFeel campaign...it's very realistic and I think creates less anxiety.

http://www.coppafeel.org/get_aware

tillymint
13-04-11, 22:39
Thank you so much for your comments! You have made me feel much better knowing that I am not the only one. I am really grateful for you both in taking the time to reply, Janeeey am sure that you will be fine and you are right if really suspicious they would not wait! Am thinking of asking for a referral anyway?

Please let me know how you get on. x

tillymint
13-04-11, 22:41
HappyCamper, thank you for the link and the helpful advice. Glad that you have turned a corner. Perhaps there is hope for me yet!:)

Chem
14-04-11, 00:38
Hi. Some years ago I had two lumps in my left breast. Panic stations! They turned out to be cysts that were easily drained. A few weeks ago I felt a sort of dragging feeling in the same breast and some pain. I had a mammogram and was asked to go back 5 days later to see a consultant. Major panic!!!

I had an ultrasound scan and was fully examined. The consultant said that they don't really understand breast pain yet, but where there is pain there is rarely anything nasty. He told me that there is nothing wrong showing in any of my tests. It might be hormonal or as a result of sudden weight gain from the meds I am now taking for depression causing the breast tissue to stretch.

Hope this helps :hugs:

tillymint
14-04-11, 22:16
Thank you for responding, glad that you are o.k:)

Janeeey
15-04-11, 15:54
just thought I would update on my issue. Had a bit of a melt down last night as I decided to 'feel' my breasts again and found the lump again clear as day! Had my GP appt today and though she feels it is most likely grissle she has referred me to clinic which I think is pretty standard. Luckily just found out I can have appt on Tuesday so I am pleased its not such a long wait!

Scary stuff .. I am so anxious just hope and fingers crossed I am one of the 9/10 that ends up benign! Really hope I don't have to have biopsy also as would be horrendous waiting for those results.

Anyone have experiences of such clinics?

tillymint
15-04-11, 19:12
Yes I have, I went and they gave me a mammogram and then asked me to wait. Then they called me in for an ultrasound. The I waited and saw the Consultant. He then examined me and told me there and then that the results were fine.That was about 2 and a half years ago.

Also I had a needle biopsy once years and years ago and they told me to go and have a cup of coffee and hang around for a couple of hours and then I went for the resluts that same day. That was fine thank God.

Maybe it would be a same day thing for you if you have to have one, and you may not. I am sure you will be o.k. but you are bound to worry but the statistic you quoted is right so just keep thinking that and at least you don't have a long wait for the clinic. xx

Janeeey
15-04-11, 19:43
Thanks so much for your reply .. it is scary but I am keeping everything crossed! Wish I was a man on days like this! Hope all goes ok with you .. I will keep you updated x