PDA

View Full Version : NEWIE/CITALOPRAM

pinklady1
12-04-06, 17:35
[8D]
Hi Everyone
Perhaps as a newie some background info.
Even though this illness 'runs' in my family affecting the female line, I never thought it would happen to me. I had what you'd describe as a nervous breakdown some years ago which left me with panic disorder and agrophobia. I eventually recovered but have since suffered from bouts of anxiety, depression, PMT and SAD. I was eventually referred to a psychiatrist who prescribed Fluoxetine. This was my life saver. Before panic I was the original life and soul of the party girl. Thanks to Fluoxetine that girl was back! However after 6 years on this I began to think that I had become 'tolerant' as I have recently suffered a bad episode of depression, suicidal thoughts, crying, lack of concentration etc My GP has this week prescribed Citalopram but after having read the leaflet enclosed with the pills I am quite scared of starting it. I love a girls night out on a Friday which was no problem when taking Fluoxetine. Can I expect the same with Citalopram. From what I've read I don't think so. Does anybody enjoy a Friday drink on this. Also, it seems I'm going to feel worse before I feel better. That scares me too as my worst nightmare is to go back to the scared person I used to be. Sorry for talking too much - I always do! Thanks for any help you can give.
x

pinklady1

Alexandra
12-04-06, 18:01
Hiya

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & advice on here.

I ment to say too hence edit to post that i too suffer with agoraphobia this came from going through depression & panic attacks.

I also take the same tablets as you too & find them to be okay.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

pinklady1
12-04-06, 18:05
:D
Thanks for the welcome. There is so much to read here!

pinklady1

trac67
12-04-06, 18:33
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I have just started on citalopram again and last time I was on them they helped me a great deal and I didn't really suffer any bad side effects, and I have been on them again for two weeks now and am already starting to feel loads better again.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

nomorepanic
12-04-06, 19:58
Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

pinklady1
13-04-06, 13:41
Hi Alex
Nice to meet you. Do you mean Fluoxetine or Citalopram? I'm feeling a bit dubious about switching over now but am not sure if I've become tolerant to the Fluoxetine. Also, the question of alcohol? I'm not a big drinker throught the week but do like my Friday nights. These have been no problem on Fluoxetine and am a bit scared that will change too?
Thanks for your help.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hiya

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & advice on here.

I ment to say too hence edit to post that i too suffer with agoraphobia this came from going through depression & panic attacks.

I also take the same tablets as you too & find them to be okay.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

<div align="right">Originally posted by Alexandra - 12 April 2006 : 19:01:35</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

pinklady1

pinklady1
13-04-06, 13:45
Hi
Nice to meet you.
Do you think there is a big difference between Fluoxetine and Citalopram? I know I keep banging on about my Friday night out but this is my one big treat/target each week. Is it a risk to drink on Citalopram?
Thanks for your help.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I have just started on citalopram again and last time I was on them they helped me a great deal and I didn't really suffer any bad side effects, and I have been on them again for two weeks now and am already starting to feel loads better again.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

<div align="right">Originally posted by trac67 - 12 April 2006 : 19:33:55</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

pinklady1

solota
13-04-06, 15:24
Hi
I have been on Citalopram for 5 weeks now and I'm afraid I have got much worse. However, I am now starting to feel a lot better. I don't know first hand but from reading other people's views I think the drink needs to be a no go. Sorry to be bearer of bad news!!!!

chucklehound
13-04-06, 18:21
Hi Pink and welcome to the forum!:D

Darren76
17-04-06, 21:19
been on citalopram for 4 months now - and altho the PA's have lessened immesnley i still get anxious and i hate to say it, its after a night of drinking. some people are fine i guess but alcohol and citalopram doesnt work for me.........which i will take heed of one day