PDA

View Full Version : Can a panic attack lead to week-long tingling?

scatterbrain
14-04-11, 19:40
OK, so I'm currently getting this weird buzzing sensation (no visible tremors) in both legs, like from the hips down and especially in my lower spine. I get it when I sit down somewhere quiet to work, and i dont really notice it when I'm moving. Its worse in the evening. But, OMG if you google buzzing legs its like menopause or MS. And I def don't have the first one.

A big factor in my worry about the dreaded MS is that I've had two episodes of tingling extremities, each lasting a week about 2 years apart. They tingle, and also feel kind of confused - so if I rummaged in a bag with my eyes closed I'd be more confused than usual about what object was what. Early onset MS can bring about symptoms that come and go over years - in fact it is one of the diagnostic criteria!

The first tingling episode was severe - it was in my fingers, feet and tongue and it was brought on by taking nitrous oxide (which made me think it was a b12 deficiency, but my dr says that if so little nitrous triggered a deficiency then it would happen whenever they used it as an anesthetic, which involves inhaling much more). It subsided in a week, during which I did take b12 sups. My b12 is relatively low - classified as normal but in the range at which 5-10% of people get neurological/psychiatric effects. I am living in the US and the dr here didn't think the b12 was a prob. I dunno if I think its b12 - afterall, 95% of people with my level are ok. The Dr doesn't know what to make of the buzzing. When I lived in the UK the nurse wouldn't even tell what my b12 number WAS when I called for my results, other than "fine" without me being very insistent and made to feel like a petulant child asking questions she didn't understand.:mad:

Two yrs later, the tingling came back, again suddenly. This time it was triggered by this sudden panic feeling... I don't think it was a full-blown panic attack, but I got this sudden rush of I-have-to-escape, grabbed my stuff and fled out of the building. I got my bf to pick me up and take me straight to bed (with a chocolate bar cos I though it was blood sugar). Shortly after, I felt FINE. But the tingling persisted. It was there when I woke up, when I went to bed. Soon I had no appetite and felt awful - anxious, out of body feelings...tingling all the time. I know that hyperventilation can cause tingling, but would it cause it to persist like this? For a week at a time? It was there whether I thought about it or not....whether I felt anxious or not. It gradually subsided. So he first time, but not the second, was accompanied by some kind of mild panic feelings.

I recenly had a full-on panic attack (couldn't walk straight, headrush, lump in throat, crying, derealisation), which was preceded and followed by episodes of this buzzing humming internal vibration. Argh, it is so frightening. Even now when I feel ok, not panicky and feeling like I could do anything I'll still get the vibration and be like "oh yeah, that thing". It makes me wonder whether it IS panic after all.

Can anyone else relate to the week-long tingling? Now that I have the buzzing, I'm getting scared about the earlier tingling.

scatterbrain
15-04-11, 03:19
I had my b12 checked recently and it was 319 - which is low but not officially deficient. When I had the tingling before I remember I was just about over the UK limit, so maybe around 250?

I'm taking sups although I'm not a vegan, and have since found out that my mother and her mother were both told they were deficient (although my mum never did anything about it and never felt any symptoms) so perhaps I'm less able to absorb it from dietary sources. The buzzing is intermittent... whereas when I had the tingling episodes it was constant, gradually fading out over a week. I've never felt anything like the tingling before or since the two attacks, and I don't know whether the sups I took during those tingling sessions would cause the symptoms to turn around so quickly.

I really hope this one is just anxiety... and knowing that my previous episodes could have been anxiety, not early onset MS attacks, would put my mind at rest.

A b12 deficiency can always be treated with jabs or pills, so I hope your symptoms improve soon :)

oldtime
15-04-11, 12:12
Its not the panic attack that causes the tingle its the heightened state of anxiety that follows it. The tingling will not stop until your background level of anxiety starts to calm down again.

BKF1515
15-04-11, 12:27
Dear scatterbrain, when I read your original post and wasn't even finished reading it, I thought 'vitamin deficiency' or 'back problem'. I have had tinlging and buzzing a lot over the past 6 years and actually I haven't noticed anything for about 1.5 - 2 years. I don't know if it's that I moved on to other worries, but I also think it was due to various back complaints I had in my lower and mid-back. I had them worked on off and on and since those haven't been an issue, I've noticed the buzzing has been gone. Whenever I have felt a tiny bit of buzzing or tingling, I've felt something in my back that day. I also take a multivitamin now. So keep these simple explanations in mind. I am sure the answer is more innocent than you imagine - hope this helps!

sparkle_1979
16-04-11, 13:33
hi

I have this but its more in my chest area, though sometimes legs. It is something I have all night, most nights though some worse than others.

it's like someone turns an engine on inide me and says "right now try and sleep" ha dont think so!

I hate it

scatterbrain
18-04-11, 15:47
I mainly get it when I'm sitting down... when it was really bad it was in my legs and chest too, but now it is localised to the base of my spine. I try and tell myself that I'm just becoming hyper-aware of my digestive system whirring away - after all, anxiety leads to heightened arousal and there are all these organs contracting and pulsing away that we normally don't notice. Sparkle, it sounds like you only get it when you're resting/still as well - I think its a fair assumption that if it was really serious it would be more disruptive.

My Dr is going to do more b12 tests so we'll see what comes of that. I get pins and needles a lot - especially in the last few days - in my left hand. Argh! Its driving me mad. I hate the internet. I wish I'd never learnt about MS.