PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Links

HypnosWisher
14-04-11, 19:41
Saw my doctor today and I have had my Duloxetine dose increased to 120mg in the morning and my Quetiapine dose increased to 50mg.

My anexiety is at a high and now the doctor and the nurse think they may be some genetic link as my mum suffers bouts of depression and mental illness and I worry what the future holds and what will become of my mental state. I am trying to put a brave face on things, but deep down inside things are becoming a struggle like I am at war with myself. It is like I want to escape it all.

Feel the future is bleak and that my life will never be what it once was. I look at my mum and feel that will be me and it scares me as I don't want to end up that way.

notfeelingconfident
03-06-11, 20:05
My doctor said the same thing to me, but with my dad.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I have heard some people say that you can actually alter your genes to a degree by fighting against your issues with a strong desire to change and be different. I guess that still means a life of struggling though, one way or the other.

I am at war with myself every day as well. I don't need to go to Afghanistan, I've got homegrown terrorism.:)

Maybe you need to try and somehow look at things differently, twist it around and enjoy the struggle by going to war with it. What it throws at you, you throw some back!

Hope I haven't said anything to offend, just trying to help.

Tyke
04-06-11, 01:47
There does seem to be a genetic involvement in a lot of these issues. At least today we are understanding these things so much better and treatments are improving all the time. There are far more medicines available now to help treat these conditions as well as other forms of therapy. Even having this website available is a big improvement on what was around when I first started with anxiety about twenty years ago.