PDA

View Full Version : head injury - vomiting/fit

daisycake
16-04-11, 19:42
On Thursday evening my mum had a friend over. The friend had a lot to drink, became very emotional and hinted that she was suicidal - which made my mum cry. Mum had a fair bit too, but no more than 4 glasses I'd say. She put the friend to bed on her couch, and Mum and I went up to her bed. Around ten minutes after sitting down, my mum became very quiet and floppy. Breathing a bit funny. I thought she was away to take a seizure as she takes them all the time - and she did sort of, but she stood up in a sort of weird state and threw up in the bathroom sink before getting back to bed, then started shaking/convulsing, breathing funny again. I did as I've been told to - shook her shoulders, asked if she was alright, checked her eyes for response - nothing at all. By this time I'd called NHS 24 - who got an ambulance out. I tried to explain about my mum's friend (she's got bad depression) and that she was passed out - and I think the paramedics just assumed both mum and friend were plastered. They took mum's BP, oxygen etc and tried to get mum to sit up. It doesn't help that the bloke has dealt with mum a lot and believes she is just suffering from like panic attack type things. They made me walk my mum downstairs, into the ambulance, and kind of told me off for having no money to give to her so that she could get home (I'm a student , mum's on benefits and my dad doesn't live with us) before taking mum off. Friend was now crying, so I had to comfort her - put her in my sister's bed and I tried to calm her down, whilst she kept apologising as I'm only 19 and she kept telling me how unfair it was that these things happen in front of me. She then told me she loved me as much as her own daughter - which has upset me - , kept telling me how beautiful and special I was, and hugging me, and that she could be my 2nd mum. I don't know how much of this she now remembers, but I feel very odd about the whole thing. My mum came back about half 12, in a taxi that my mum's friend paid for by switch, in her pyjamas, in floods of tears, telling me she didn't know what had happened, the hospital staff were angry at her as they thought she was drunk, and she was scared and didn't know what was wrong, they did not examine her and the doctor kept asking her what was wrong, when she said she didn't know he asked her what she meant. Nurse told her off for crying as she had "brought it on herself". She had vomited a further time in hospital, told off for missing the bowl, and had trouble remembering the evening's events. By morning she was fine, but for the rest of the day couldn't remember much of the evening - e.g. she had given my sister's quilt to friend on the couch and mum couldn't remember doing this, blamed me and got on at me for doing so - before I turned round and said "no mum, you knew about it last night and were fine with it"

The thing is, on Thursday night my mum had banged her head, hard enough to leave a sore lump - and I wonder if this might explain things - is it possible she has a serious head injury? Could she have come back to normal but still be ill? She's sitting next to me on the sofa and seems absolutely normal. She's also on very strong antibiotics and antidepressents for stuff, could that have caused it?

I realise none of you are doctors or anything but just want a bit of reassurance, I'm tired and a bit baffled after it all! I feel like I'm so stupid/neurotic for phoning for help (nhs 24) but I was scared and there isn't anyone else, my gran lives 10 min walk away but she'd have shouted and told me it was all my fault. I think they thought I was just a silly girl. My GP though told me if its one, explained and short seizure its OK, if its repeated, long or with vomiting its an ambulance. I'm confused though.

lindajane1971
16-04-11, 20:54
Daisy it looks to me like you have more sence than the doctors at the hospital. I hate it when people are dismissed without proper care and i do belive that is what happened.
Dont be worrying yourself, you did the right thing and i only hope that my daugher has as much sense as you when she grows up!
I have 2 relatives with epilepsy, its awful to witness and live with, my aunt's ones are rare but very bad, she takes up to a week to recover, my sis in law has them a lot and she is much better the next day, eveyone recovers different.

Well done for being level headed and staying calm and in control.

xx