PDA

View Full Version : Its back again, and i cant stop it this time

lilyloves
16-04-11, 23:19
Hi im new, i just found this forum, and wondered if i could share my experience and look for some support,
Its a huge long story, but when i was in my 20s i suffered with panic attacks,huge big frightening ones that came from nowhere, i then had 2 small children and a husband who i didnt like very much, i went for CBT in 2000, which helped a great deal, and it helped me understand how unhappy i was , moving on 14 years later,
im now a divorced single working mum of 3, im strong and independent,and generally very happy with my life, but once again in the last few months my panic attacks have returned,but this time they are worse, i cant get on the tube to go to work anymore, im terrified that i have cancer, that my children are poorly, that the worlds going to end in 2012, i read a great deal, and watch far to my news,i have a co dependent personality, and am a great worrier, tho i do try and hide it,

but these panic attacks last for days, ive nearly finished one tonight thats lasted since last night, i woke up at 3am this morning and my hands were bent up, cold, and i felt that i couldnt open my mouth, then came the worry that my children would find me dead in bed in the morning, so i got up, and spent the whole day crying,and panicking that i have cancer or had a stroke, now i know these are symtoms and that my cold hands and feet arent a blood clot, its the blood being taken away as my hearts pumping while i hyperventoilate,

I went to my doctor last week, and they were very good, i had the triage nurse call me and my scores were 16 and 19 for anxiety, but i dont feel depressed, i have a one to one meeting on the 3rd of may, then either group or internet.
I didnt want anti depressants, as i read all the paperwork that comes in the box, and the side affects scare me too much, however when it all gets too much, i take 1/2 a co comadol, which helps, but then im concerned how i might become addicted to codine.
Im just so upset theyve come back and i cant control them this time,i dont know why or theys no reason for them to come back, ive had no stressful situtations , works a little qiuet, but my children are good, i dont have much debt, but why am i being controlled again, by something i felt i had dealt with?
Im not sure what im really asking for, but i feel better for sharing it and writing it down, again so sorry for the long post, i just want it to stop and i dont know how too

snowgoose
16-04-11, 23:35
Hi Lily:)

wish I had some answers for you .............anxiety is the pits :weep:

you have a lot of responsibility on your plate though .............sound sensitive and very responsible and loving . the news these days is scary if feeling vulnerable and alone ....then our thoughts take over.......and wham !!

just want to say you are not alone .this is a wonderful place Lily xx

sure someone else will be along soon with more advice ............just wanted to say hi :flowers:

paula lynne
17-04-11, 10:25
Hi Lily, have you read the column on the left about panic and anxiety..?
Do you have family or a good friend to talk to ?
Do you take codiene for pain or your anxiety? Is it a habit?

Its common that hands and feet change temp during panic, its because blood is diverted in part to the internal organs and brain so they can deal with panic. My anxiety presents with cold feet, but also tingles in hands and feet. This is not harmful ok.
Anti-depressants work very well for a lot of people. Obviously you dont want to take them because youve read all the side effects. Some people do get side effects initially, but feel much better after a few weeks. Isnt it worth at least trying them to gain some quality of life? I dont take them myself, but others swear by them.

Being a worrier is hard work isnt it! Im one too my love. Its exhausting being in a constant state of "Oh no what if.......?"
Maybe if you tried some relaxation tapes etc, in the evening when the kids are settled down.

Eating small regular meals can help a lot. If we dont eat for a few hours, blood sugar dips and adrenaline is released...making anxiety worse. Even a biscuit or piece of toast can help.

Whats perhaps the saddest part of anxiety is that just when you think youve beaten it, it jumps up and says "Hahaha...you thought youd got rid if me..well IM BACK!"....
If CBT worked well for you in 2000, is it possible you could go for another short course? Its been 11 years now after all.

Right, Im rambling again, please PM if youd like and we can talk further. Keep this thread open, and add to it often. Its really important to share how you feel with people who understand what you are going through. There are so many wonderful people here who will support you anytime day or night......
Sending you love and hugs.x
Paula x:hugs: