PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Existentialism Anxiety

letitgo
16-04-11, 23:51
So, I have to read a few philosophy books for my philosophy class but I'm too chicken to do it. The reason behind it? I am scared of existentialism anxiety. Those philosophies question every single thing! I was reading an excerpt of one of the books I am supposed to read and the guy said he didn't think he existed and a lot of crazy stuff. I know it sounds stupid but I'm afraid of reading those kinds of things and starting to obsess about them. I really should stop that since I wanna get into Law School, and I'll definitely have to read a few philosophy books - ok, it's not the same kind of philosophy, but still. I used to love Philosophy last year, when I didn't have anxiety. But things have changed ever since I read about existentialism anxiety - and I don't even go through that, I just fear I will.

What should I do? My psychiatrist appointment is 15 days away from now =/

Robbs
17-04-11, 02:48
haha im still not entirely sure what existentialism anxiety but a quick google search came up with this and it says existentialism anxiety is healthy :yesyes:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5675928_existential-anxiety_.html

PanchoGoz
18-04-11, 12:10
Its a fear of those big awkward questions, Robbs, like why are we here, what happens after we die, is the world just a tiny speck in a massive universe.
It doesn't last forever letitgo, its one of those things you will obsess over for a while then it will disappear and you will worry about something else. I had these awful thoughts but I soon forgot.
Like you, I used to like philosophy until I studied it. It's waaaay to heavy.
I gotta admit though...a fear of a fear! You are not actually having this fear, you say? You're just scared you will have existential anxiety and it will be another load on your list of worries? Thats how I read the situation anyway.

Phwoffy
20-04-11, 19:55
I can't really help but this post made me smile a bit. I know a few people who suffer from similar anxiety and they don't really get me - I think it's one of the only things that doesn't worry me! I love the thought of things like that. They make me feel... free.

All I can say is, if you enjoy philosophy then take a deep breath and read those books. It's there to challenge us, confuse us and sometimes scare us a tiny bit. And, in my opinion, that's a good thing. Whilst philosophy can make us think, reading books like that isn't going to make a difference to who you are or what you do; you already have your own beliefs in place. If you're worrying about being anxious over something that doesn't cause you anxiety - then it will start to make you worry more! Just try and enjoy it the way you used to :)

Pennyjoann
27-04-11, 01:29
Existential anxiety is very scary, I have to admit, the philosophy is interesting but just be careful because it's pretty heavy, especially for an anxious person. I wish I'd never ever heard of some of the things I read, it really messed me up. I'm okay now, but I take medication.