PDA

View Full Version : worried Mum

debzval
17-04-11, 10:22
Hi, tentatively seeking advise as my 23 year old daughter recently (last oct) started taking Citalopram (10mg) which has just been increased to 40mg daily due to a recent panic attack - her whole future is at risk as she can't imagine not having her usual drinking social life and this is causing more anxiety than ever! Wondering if advising against her doctor (she doesn't live with me now but is home for 10 days to rest) and suggesting 'rescue remedy' instead of meds? My concern is Lou getting too dependent on Citalopram, that's IF she can keep of alcohol (obviously the last 6 months have been a see saw of feeling better then worse after a drink - and that's on 10mg)! I'm going to suggest she joins this forum too, but feel out of my depth and confused by all the conflicting advise, thanks.:unsure:

nomorepanic
17-04-11, 10:28
Hi debzval

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

pinkdove
17-04-11, 11:04
Hi debzval, i also take citalopram have done since october last, I think it is a great idea to ask her to join our community. i have only been a member around 10 days, and found it fantastic, everyone is so nice, and she can speak to people who are in the same situation as her. she is on a very low dose of cit, perhaps she does need the dose increase. It must be hard for you to see her like this, but things will get better with the right support, good luck:hugs:

JT69
17-04-11, 11:26
Hi debzval,

I agree this forum is really helpful. My concern with the citalopram is it is a huge jump from 10mg to 40mg...I have taken this drug sucessfully in the past but mostly 20-30mg being thereputic...yes there are people who take 40mg and I believe you can go up to 60mg but I think going from 10-40mg is a bit too much in one go. Perhaps she would be better going up slowly then she may benefit from a lower dose..

I get your concerns...not a nice thing to be going through but she will get there, these things just take time and the correct treatment.

Take care.

Jo.xx

pinkdove
17-04-11, 16:27
Hi, I agree 10mg to 40mg is a hugh jump, misread the post first time, she must get advice about increasing slowly, perhaps 20mg will do the trick that is a theraputic dose.

Vanilla Sky
17-04-11, 21:20
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Anxious_gal
18-04-11, 02:04
I'm confused by this "her whole future is at risk as she can't imagine not having her usual drinking social life and this is causing more anxiety than ever! "

Maybe I misreading this but is the problem she wants to drink but can't drink on medication?

Alcohol on it's own will worsen anxiety, especially on the morning after, also it can trigger off anxiety and bring on panic attacks.
An even bigger problem is, people who suffer from anxiety or social anxiety can use alcohol as a way to stop feeling anxious and to boost their confidence, this sort of association can lead to dependence. Just be careful and watch out for early warning signs.

correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard one drink is ok with certain medication, as in one drink in a 7 day period,??

the meds she is on might not be right for her but only time will tell, there's lots of other antidepressants she can try if she feels her current ones are not helping her.

medication alone will not solve the anxiety, she needs therapy and maybe CBT,
I'm a huge believer in therapy.

if she's on these meds 6months and they haven't help her then it could be time to try something else. Look out for any signs that the medications might be making her more depressed too.