PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd say hi...

Phwoffy
17-04-11, 22:20
Hi, I've just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Sophie and I'm 20 *waves*

Whilst I haven't been diagnosed yet (awaiting doctor's appointment and terrified of quite how to word it) I read the symptoms of GAD about a month ago and burst into tears. It was my whole life, written down in front of me. I've always been a stressy person, even as a child, but about 4 years ago I went through a terrible time at school. I was signed off on medical grounds and spent a year practically teaching myself. I didn't leave the house and, the more I stayed in the more scared I was of going out. I had terrible OCD and was just generally terrified of everything. Somehow I passed my exams and went to college. Keeping busy pushed everything to the back of my mind.
I left college two years ago. I applied for university but changed my mind at the last minute. I've been job-hunting ever since and I'm sure we all know what a terrible time it is to be doing that. The longer I'm at home, the more time I find to worry. Also, last year I met an absolutely wonderful man and... I guess that's made me worry more. I don't want to lose him/have anything put our relationship at risk.
I worry about everything, constantly. Quite often they're health worries and in the back of my mind I'm thinking that it's not GAD at all, but some terminal disease. I've had nausea for months, migraines for years and panic attacks too. Things have been much worse recently - stabbing pains in my head; feeling like I'm going to choke and having a lump in my throat; shaking and wanting to cry for no reason; diagnosing myself with a different sort of cancer every single day. Plenty more but I'm sure you've heard them all before. I've joined because I want to get better. If it is GAD then I'd like to be put on a waiting list for CBT. In which case, I guess I'll need some help getting through, and I'd also like to offer help to anyone else if that was at all possible.
I'm waffling. I do that a lot. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the diagnosis is. The more I think about it, the more scared I get that it won't be GAD. It'll be nice to talk to you all, anyway :)

diane07
17-04-11, 22:21
Hi Phwoffy

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Vanilla Sky
17-04-11, 22:53
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Anxious_gal
18-04-11, 02:12
CBT will help with the health anxiety too, glad your finally getting help :hugs:

KayleighJane
18-04-11, 18:33
hiya sophie, I'm Kayleigh. My doctor has diagnosed GAD and am due to start CBT in a couple of weeks. I'm on here a fair bit as I find it helps to read about other people and their experiences so if you want a chat or anything then feel free x

Phwoffy
18-04-11, 22:22
Hi everyone, thanks for stopping in to introduce yourselves :) I'm finding the site really helpful already - just want to get everything diagnosed now to put my mind at rest. Unfortunately the only decent doctor at our surgery is very hard to get an appointment with so having to wait a week or so. I've been reading through some CBT books and they've made me feel even more confident that it's GAD. Fingers crossed I can get sorted soon. Thanks again, nice to meet you all :)