PDA

View Full Version : How to help my partner with health anxiety

angeleyes
18-04-11, 08:37
Hi guys,
I really dont know where else to turn. I have been with my partner for nearly 6 months and he has had a relapse with his health anxiety issues to the point where i dont know how to deal with it all, what to say and how to help him the best i can. I have looked through this forum with him on many occasions and he has found it a comfort to know that others are feeling the same but i want to help too.
Can anyone offer me any help and/ or advice??
Thanks in advance
Angeleyes

biscuitlover
18-04-11, 09:30
Hey Angeleyes,

Its great you want to help your partner. Suffering from health anxiety, i found this guide helpful and it might be worht having a read http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Health-Anxiety-A-Self-Help-Guide.htm (go to the link on this page and look on the list for health anxiety).

Maybe you can help him read through it and do some of the exercises as that is what will help in the long run, being actively working through it. The Dr might be able to help too and get him some CBT.

You need to reassure him enough, but not too much that he relies on it and basically just help him to overcome it.

Hope that helps

ditzygirl
18-04-11, 09:45
Can meds help? anxiety of any kind is a habit. Totally horrific believe me but meds may really help.

Is he seeing his GP? He will really appreciate your kindness, anxiety is totally dabilitating.

Distracting his thoughts is key to over coming this but its really hard to learn. CBT may really help.

Good luck and let us know how you are both getting onx

LynzD86
02-12-11, 18:29
Hi I've been with my boyfriend 4 months and he's just confessed he has health anxiety particularly about cancer. Did you find anything that worked for you to help your partner or just any tips on how to be reassuring would help. Thanks x

Rugrat
03-12-11, 00:58
Biscuitlover
thanks for the link i suffer from health anxiety and i heard the advice and it helped me