PDA

View Full Version : Lots of green mould on matress - worried

miss_moose
18-04-11, 13:52
My partner was flipping our matteress today and on the underside and on the bed base it's green with mould.
Obviously with my health anxiety and breathing problems i am very worried about this.

HE on the other hand is shouting at me for over reacting and is not being that careful with his handwashing. He's touched it and smelt it, and says the mattress is wet so I must have spilt a drink on it. It's wet on the underside of it thoug, not the bit we sleep on.

He's trying to clean it off by hoovering it (I am now too scared to touch the hoover:weep:) and i'm not sure what else as he won't tell me, i just have to stay out of the way.

We can't really afford to buy a new one, we have enough money in savings but he won't touch that and the matress is only a year old and cost about £600.

Any reassurance or advice on how to clean it/what to do?

Thank you

LucyR
18-04-11, 14:03
Hi, If the mattress is wet on its underside perhaps its dampness in your house causing this as its unlikely that you would have got this otherwise. You would have to take the mattress up on its end or even outside to air, or open all the windows and let it air in the house. A combination of air and heat from the room when the windows have been closed again should help. Mattress protectors are widely available in all the general shops ie Tesco, Asda, Morrison, Sainsbury etc. You can buy ones with zips to completely enclose your entire mattress or padded cloth ones such as Fogarty quilted ones and also moisture sheets to protect your mattress, so there is lots available to prevent this.