PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Pain, Left Kidney & Spine Area

Lanesra
19-04-11, 01:20
Hi All,

So the doctor managed to convince me it's highly unlikely I have breast cancer after complaining about pain there and I came on holiday to the US relatively worry free - except for this strange pain that started in my left lower back on the day we took off.
Straight away I looked on the symptoms on this site and put it down to anxiety-related kidney pain and tried to forget about it. It sort of worked and the pain has come and gone for the past week without me fretting too much.....until today.

It returned in full force today and to my shame I've been all over Google. It can't be kidney infection as that comes on rapidly and also I don't feel unwell otherwise.

The pain is dull and achey so it's not kidney stones and the pain has also moved to the bottom of my spine. So what does Google tell me? It could be kidney failure, kidney cancer or pancreatic cancer.

I'm 25 so these are rare for my age but I'm also overweight...

I'm desperate to go to the doctor but I don't get home until a week on Tuesday and my anxiety is going crazy. I'm on 10mg of Propranolol but I never notice it's benefits.

Can anyone help make me see some sense?

Many Thanks x

Chem
19-04-11, 01:40
lower back pain?
bottom of the spine?
kidneys?
pancreas?

You want some sense - STOP GOOGLING

Your kidneys are high up your back, not at the base. You wouldn't have pain if it was anything to do with your pancreas.
How about the possibility of stiffness or a pinched nerve after a long trans-atlantic flight???
On the way home I suggest you walk up and down the plane every hour or so and keep moving your position during the flight.

Hope that helps!

Lanesra
19-04-11, 01:53
Thank you, location error on my behalf, it is half way up where the kidneys are and I have been experiencing pain on my side just above my left hip. It started on the way to the airport so whilst the flights didn't help, unfortunately they weren't the cause.
My only rational thoughts are that it was aggravated by lifting my heavy suitcase down the stairs (but would that last this long?) or that my back muscles are out of sync. My masseuse did tell me I had a problem pretty much near where the pain is but that was months ago and I didn't have the pain back then.

I get angry at myself for Googling but can't stop myself :-(

Chem
19-04-11, 02:05
Your reply has made me feel pretty annoyed too.

Can you see the dangers of asking unqualified people to give medical opinions without you giving all the facts? I could have agreed with your fears and suggested you use your insurance to see a doctor immediately.

And if you aren't going to stop googling - why ask?

Lanesra
19-04-11, 02:12
It was a mistake on my part, I have very large hips and backside so what feels to me like my lower back is actually not. If I went to the doctors I would expect them to either examine me or ask me where the pain is where this could be clarified.

I have tried to make a habit of coming on here instead of Googling, I was getting better but as there wasn't much on here before I posted, I gave in and Googled. I'm not proud of it but what is most therapeutic for me about being honest about it is knowing I'm not alone.

Lanesra
19-04-11, 02:13
And I didn't want a diagnosis, just an objective person to tell me I was being irrational.

Chem
19-04-11, 02:18
I appreciate you are far from home and you're worried.

You're being irrational.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

brisaya
19-04-11, 06:57
Chem that was a bit harsh saying your annoyed!

She has clearly come on here for support and for someone to help her with her irrational thoughts! In my opinion that's what this forum is all about!

Lanesra I'm sure you are going to be just fine, maybe you have just pulled a muscle if it's still sore when u get home go and see ur gp.

Hope you are ok and have a fab holiday xxxx

Lanesra
19-04-11, 11:16
Thank you brisaya, I feel like I'm going insane. I've barely had any sleep and last night I thought I had the chills when it could quite easily have been the AC :-( I hate these irrational thoughts and I can't yet accept that they're irrational because of all the 'what ifs' floating about in my head.
I'm having stomach cramps too and the occasional sharp pain below my breasts so am trying to convince myself that's it's all connected to the anxiety.
I'm so glad I've got this forum as a support network :-) x

Lanesra
19-04-11, 11:17
Obviously I'm going to the doctors as soon as I get back, just fighting the temptation to see someone here!!

brisaya
19-04-11, 15:12
I know how you feel with the irrational thoughts hun its a nightmare im the same at the min with pains near my ovaries xx

Lanesra
20-04-11, 14:34
Sorry to hear that brisaya :-( Is it a symptom you've had before or is it new?

My pain got worse so forked out the cash to see a doctor here who diagnosed it as muscle spasms. I've had them in my leg before but this is a completely different pain, plus my stomach muscles feel really tight, this is normal according to the doc as your back muscles can pull on your stomach ones.

Although I felt relieved, I can't help but latch onto his comments about if it persists I will need x-rays etc. These damn 'what ifs'!! x