PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

Pictsie
19-04-11, 08:34
Hi I am new to this site and have found it very helpful. My problem is depression. I have had it very bad for about the last 6 years - although I didn't realise it - and have just been diagnosed as officially having moderate depression. I was given citalopram and it was great and acted quickly for me. In fact I didn't realise how poorly I had been until I was feeling better! Unfortunately, I started experiencing quite severe anxiety attacks when in public which freaked me out so the doctor has changed the prescription to Sertaline to help the anxiety. Two week into it and I feel awful. The depression is back and also anxiety. I can't seem to face anything and my muscles are constantly churned up and I ache really bad by nighttime. The whole day has become a total chore to get through. Do I stick with the Sertaline or ask to go back to the citalopram (which I loved, apart from the anxiety)? I hate bothering the doctor but I am desperate to feel well again. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you. Pictsie

loops81
19-04-11, 09:35
I understand that when you first start any anti depressant, it does make things worse before you feel the benefits. My b/f has just started some and his anxiety is through the roof.

Best of luck, I am sure someone else will be along soon x

Tyke
20-04-11, 03:17
Hi Pictsie

Sertraline can take a while to kick in - for me it was around five weeks before I started to feel better. For some people it is quicker, others longer. It does usually make you feel worse before you feel better! I felt absolutely awful initially and thought the side effects would go on for ever. There is loads of information about all our experiences with this under recent postings at 'Medicines - Sertraline' on the NMP forum.

My doctors advice before I felt an improvement was to stick it out for at least six weeks to give it chance to work as many people do quit too early because of the side effects. I'm glad I took his advice now as I am at last getting better. Keep in contact with your doctor about how you are feeling, especially if you don't get any improvement after giving it a fair go. There are other medications available or maybe even combining something with Citalopram would be an option (I take Propranolol to help with anxiety as well as the Sertraline).

Tyke

Pictsie
20-04-11, 07:37
Thank you both for your replies. I have an appointment with the doc today to tell her how I've been. I understand you have to stick it out but at the moment I feel like it is killing me! If I have to stick it out I will but I have a great urge to ask to go back on Citalopram which had a rapid effect for me. As all this is new to me I suppose it is not surprising I am a bit confused. Thank you again for your advice and support. x